is there a 'look at' issue with v7.2 ?

Posted By Darren01 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Darren01
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Is there any known issues with the 'look at' constraint in the latest version 7.21 ?
I've recently tried to use the 'look at' function with my latest production
Never had a problem with it last time I used it (not sure what version that was)

Problem I am experiencing is as follows:
I select a 'look at' target for a character part way into a scene (for example at frame 200)
As soon as the target is selected, the character will 'look at' the target, right from frame 1, despite the time line only displaying a 'look at' constraint from frame 200.
If I release the 'look at' constraint at say frame 220, it will release the 'look at' constraint from frame 220. However the character will continue to 'look at' the target in all frames prior to frame 220.

I have tried the function on an empty project (apart from an avatar and object to 'look at') and the problem still re-occurs.
I am not doing anything different to what I used to, when using this function, however can't seem to solve the issue
Anyone else experience similar issues ?

Darren01
Darren01
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)

Ok, been fiddling.
I think I found a work around, but not sure if it's functioning the way it should.
If I insert a 'constraint release' key in the timeline just before the frame that I picked the 'look at' target, it seems to stop the look at function generating in the frames prior.
Not sure why it would be necessary to release a constraint before it's even been applied, but seems to be a work around anyway.

Never had to use this work around in previous versions. Previously, the 'Look at' constraint only applied forward from the frame that I chose the target. So maybe it's still a bug?

Edited
6 Years Ago by Darren01
raxel_67
raxel_67
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
This has been happening before 7.21, the workaround described above is the only thing that works
dogged2003
dogged2003
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
https://forum.reallusion.com/362606/Character-look-at-How-it-works-Where-is-the-Transition-Areas

Short description:

First "Look at" application and transition time:
1. Right-click the mouse a little earlier choose Release, get a triangle - this is to regulate entry into the "Look at".
2. In the subsequent frames, set "Look at" the object you want.

Switch to another object (if there is one, or see the Finish immediately)
For a few frames before switching, make "Look at" the previous object. We get two triangles to regulate the transition section!

Finish the 
"Look at":
1. We release from "Look at" a place where the influence should end (and in fact the actor has long been looking the other way).
2. Go back a few frames back, copy and paste "Look at". We get two triangles to regulate the transition section!

And: In the timeline right click a look-at keyframe open transition curve presets to have custom  motion between keyframes.

My YouTube channel.
Edited
6 Years Ago by dogged2003
Darren01
Darren01
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

ok thanks, looks like my workaround is the only way to address the problem
Maybe RL needs to include this detail in the manual, because it took some experimentation to figure it out.

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 hours ago
Darren01 (5/28/2018)
ok thanks, looks like my workaround is the only way to address the problem
Maybe RL needs to include this detail in the manual, because it took some experimentation to figure it out.

Thanks for the feedback. We will take a look at this issue and I'll update again once more is known. 

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Edited
6 Years Ago by Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 hours ago
UPDATE: We have identified the problem and plan to fix it hopefully in the 7.3 update or if not the 7.4 update. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

dogged2003
dogged2003
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Peter (RL) (6/6/2018)
UPDATE: We have identified the problem and plan to fix it hopefully in the 7.3 update or if not the 7.4 update. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Maybe you will describe how it works now. Why change, what works?

My YouTube channel.
Darren01
Darren01
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

many thanks Peter and the RL team for acting on the feedback

Edited
6 Years Ago by Darren01
Darren01
Darren01
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

dogged223 the current method is essentially a workaround a problem that didn't exist in earlier versions.

For experienced users familiar with the workaround or familiar enough with the software to figure out how to work around the issue, it's not a problem. But for less experienced users, it can be frustrating. I know I've avoided using the look at feature for a long time because of this issue. I just assumed I was doing something wrong until I recently figured it out. There is nothing in the manual outlining this workaround.

I know version 5.5 didn't have this issue. The 'look at' constraint only applied to the frames where the constraint (or target chosen) was active.
It doesn't make any sense that you would have to add a key frame to 'release' a constraint, before you even apply a constraint.

Personally, I will be glad to see the issue rectified.

Edited
6 Years Ago by Darren01

Reading This Topic