Profile Picture

Round-tripping Daz Studio -> iClone -> Daz Studio

Posted By rames44 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
rames44
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (380 reputation)Senior Member (380 reputation)Senior Member (380 reputation)Senior Member (380 reputation)Senior Member (380 reputation)Senior Member (380 reputation)Senior Member (380 reputation)Senior Member (380 reputation)Senior Member (380 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Hello all!

Let me start out by saying that I'm not (yet) an iClone user - I'm trying to figure out if I can do what I want to do with it.

Needless to say, DS's animation tools are, well, "less that stellar."  I'm looking for a solution in which I can export characters from DS, animate them elsewhere, but then import the animations (via some mechanism) back into DS so that I can do the rendering there.  (Doing the rendering in DS is non-negotiable, I'm afraid.)

Some people on the DS forums seemed to think that this would be possible by exporting BVH files from iClone and importing those into DS.

So, the questions are:
1. Does anyone here have experience doing (or trying to do) this?
2. Does it work?  Extremely well, ok-with-workarounds, poorly?
3. Assuming it can be made to work, exactly what iClone components are required?

Thanks in advance!
animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 30 minutes ago
The problem that complicates this process is that you cannot reliably re-import DAZ characters using FBX (which would be the preferred way). 

So what you are left with is using BVH files, which are motion only. From what  have heard, using BVH files is a viable option.

I have no direct experience myself; this is based on comments I remember from this forum.

To do this you would need iClone and 3DXchange Pipeline.

I found a tutorial that explains the process. It is for version 5, but would still be valid (except that the user interface has changed).

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

rames44
rames44
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (380 reputation)Senior Member (380 reputation)Senior Member (380 reputation)Senior Member (380 reputation)Senior Member (380 reputation)Senior Member (380 reputation)Senior Member (380 reputation)Senior Member (380 reputation)Senior Member (380 reputation)

Thanks for the tutorial.  My main concern is that this is working with very old Daz figures.  I'm primarily concerned as to how well this is going to work with Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 characters.  Apparently the BVH import for those characters had been broken.  Supposedly this has been fixed, but I'm looking to see if anybody has actually run the gamut and verified that it all plays nicely.

Am I correct that "pipeline" does NOT have a free trial period?  (unlike iClone itself?)
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
rames44 (5/22/2018)

Am I correct that "pipeline" does NOT have a free trial period?  (unlike iClone itself?)

There is a 3DXchange 7 Pipeline trial version available but it is does have a limited number of exports. Please see below for the limitations of the trial version.

https://www.reallusion.com/iClone/pipeline.html#3DX-7-compare

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

rames44
rames44
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Ah so - must have missed that.
So it sounds like I can do a "trial run" (pun intended) to make sure that it will work the way I hope...

Thanks!

Reading This Topic