getting these .mov files in to popvideo format

Posted By sonic7 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year

After several hours of searching for nice 'subtle' dust particle effects, the only pack I found that's any good was here:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4navPjscJ9I

Upon downloading this (free) pack - (which are in .mov format), - popVideo was unable to create a 'pop' file from them.
I think it *may* be that these videos possibly don't have an alpha channel - though I'm not sure about this.
I tried (in vain) to do a 'Chroma Key' by sampling the background with the paint 'sampler dropper' - but it wouldn't key out at all.

Does anyone know a way around this? -they're really nice dust particle animations - they're 4K and absolutely *perfect* - yet I can't use them......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
the chroma key tools from hitfilm or vegas could help.  -  most popular video editing softwares have them .. hitfilm still has the free version

https://fxhome.com/express

the hitfilm chroma keyers may have the extra parameters you need to tweak to make it work.  from there you can either export transparency,  or change the background to green so that the pop video software can track it easier.....but this should be done at the video editing compositing level,  because the popvideo chroma key tools are rudimentary in comparison thus you will inevitably lose quality in the process of importing it into iclone.  Specifically because you need gradients, popvideo is good enough for standard chroma key with sharper edges,  not dust clouds where the edges need detailed gradients vs linear edges.

Edited
6 Years Ago by planetstardragon
illusionLAB
illusionLAB
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Sorry Sonic7, but you'll never isolate that dust effect with keying tools - they need to be composited with "SCREEN" or "ADD" which you won't get in iClone.  If the particles have been shot over black, put that footage in your "opacity" channel and use a solid colour as the "diffuse". 
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)

Hey you Guys @planetstardragon @illusionLAB !!!!
I perceive the knowledge & experience of you both here !

planetstardragon .... I nearly went that route - of incorporating 'hitfilm' into my tool arsenal.
But, for reasons of "not having to deal with yet another program" I made the conscious decision to stay as close within the Reallusion work-flow as possible.
(That's simply me). Yes, tweaking the un-keyable pure black background to 'introduce' a color for keying - I'd wondered about that, but was concerned that the particles would be too small (fine) to use a color removing approach. I'd searched like crazy for a suitable transparent version - but no luck.
I get what you're saying about adding the effect at a later stage. I'm creating a total 'environment' complete with dust and haze etc first - then I'll shoot it. Sounds strange doesn't it - compositing first, shooting later .... but I'm wanting to give it a go.

Yes, you mention a good point regarding 'sharp' vs detailed 'gradient' edges on dust particles. This is where I *may* have to 'eat my words' regarding 'when' to do the compositing. Smile

illusionLAB .... yes, OK - I take your point about the problems of 'keying' small particles like dust. (By that I'm thinking you mean Chroma Keying?). I'm getting the feeling my options are to use:
● 1  a video with 'transparent' background
● 2  the 'screen or add' approach (conventional video editor or hitfilm)
● 3  the 'opacity channel' trick you mentioned ....
So I'll give ● 3 a try first, since it's the most direct (and dove-tails with my work-flow). Smile

Thanks guys so much for your input - I'll update my findings later .....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@illusionLAB
I'm having difficulty getting your suggestion to work. (my .mov dust file is 'over black' background').
After creating a 'New Image Layer' in iClone (and selecting it), I double left click on the 'Opacity' box (under texture settings), to load the popVideo file into the 'Opacity' channel.
Further down the 'Modify Panel' under 'Material Settings' I set the 'Diffuse Color' to a solid color, bright yellow, (is that correct?).
But then, moving the opacity slider only 'blends' between 'proper scene levels' (left position) - to fully 'white' screen (right position).
It acts like a dissolve - there's no point at which the dust is cutting/blending through (in fact I don't see any semblance of dust at any setting).
Am I approaching this correctly?

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
illusionLAB
illusionLAB
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)

I'm not at my iClone computer... but from memory, I think I've only used this technique like this:  Drag texture .mov into iC viewer whilst holding "right mouse button". Menu pops up with 4 options - I choose "make plane" (so the texture is affected by camera moves).  Drag same .mov into "opacity" slot.  Delete the "diffuse" slot .mov which makes it defer to the basic colour swatch controls.  Opacity slider should work as expected.  Once you have the plane in the scene, it needs to be the closest object to camera as the intersection with other scene geo is going to be messy - this, of course, means you'll need to scale the 'dust plane' down until it's just a little bigger than frame.

sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks so much ---- I'll give that a try and let you know how I fare  Smile

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Ok .... I found I had to crank the 'self Illumination' from 0 to 100 to get the dust to appear .....
As I slide 'up' the Opacity from 0, yes the dust starts to 'appear', but the whole set starts to 'dissapear'.
So the Opacity slider is acting like a 'cross fade' on a video editor. At the middle '50' mark, I have 'half strength' dust and 'half strength' set. Sad
I don't know why the set fades away ....

Edit: So with the 'Opacity' at 100, the full strength of the dust (white specs on black) - has taken over totally.
In this position, if I toggle the image plane 'on' & 'off' (ie: 'show' / 'hide'), it will toggle between 'full' dust (with no set) and full set (with no dust). So the white dust AND the black that they're sitting on - are 'both' cutting through the mix.

Update: I found the reason why the 'self illumination' was needed .... It was because the 'Diffuse' channel still had the popVideo file loaded in.
I'd earlier deleted it as per your instructions, but that had resulted in 'no dust' whatsoever regardless of slider settings ....
[when increasing the 'Opacity' - the 'set' had just faded to black (no dust)]. That's why I added the popVideo file back into the Diffuse channel.
So no joy - either way unfortunately .... I'm beginning to wonder if there could be something wrong with the popVideo file ....

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
illusionLAB
illusionLAB
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

It sounds like "popVideo" is embedding an alpha channel into your file... since it has no "key" pulled it would be solid white - and since it's a proprietary RL format, iClone see chooses the alpha when dropped into the opacity slot.  Try the same technique with a basic (not converted with popVideo) .MOV or .MP4 file to test.
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Well done IllusionLAB!  You were spot on with your guidance here ....

I used popVideo to export a Motion JPEG video file.
So here's the actual steps for adding 'dust' (or stars or moon etc), - using a Video file:
● 'Right click' on and drag a 'Video File' (not a popVideo file) into iClone's viewing screen and let go.
● From the menu that appears select 'Image Layer' and pull out the corner handles to fill the viewing area. (Using 'image layer' results in an identical dust pattern appearing on ALL camera angles. Alternatively, using 'Plane' would create a 'billboard' look and would be viewed at different angles on each camera).
● With 'Image Layer' selected (scene tab) go to 'Modify>Texture Settings, double left click on 'Opacity' and import the same file.
● Left click to highlight the 'Diffuse' tab and delete the file from that channel.
● Single left click on 'Opacity' again and (just above the 'Strength' slider), tick the 'Use sRGB' box.
● Now the 'Opacity' slider will give a full range from '0' (=no dust) .... through to '100' (=full strength dust).

Again, a big thanks to IllusionLAB - without his help - I'd be pulling my hair out !!!

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7

Reading This Topic