Profile Picture

[v7.21] - Workaround for the Failure to Auto-convert Daz Genesis Characters

Posted By Joanne (RL) 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

[v7.21] - Workaround for the Failure to Auto-convert Daz Genesis...

Author
Peter (RL)
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (69.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (69.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (69.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (69.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (69.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (69.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (69.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (69.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (69.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 10 minutes ago
davidcaputokeene (4/20/2018)

I just installed the 7.21 patch. I hit the G* import problem immediately. How do I get back to 7.2? Please, can someone explain in simple terms the procedure?

Can you explain more about the problems you have encountered? Did the workaround not help you?

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 hours ago
I just want to say again THANK YOU for the development of the Daz Genesis conversion features.  I know with future patches and the Iray part the whole package is going to be awesome. 
Thanks for the workaround in the meantime.  Enjoying the features very much.
pruiz
pruiz
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Peter (RL) (4/20/2018)

I just installed the 7.21 patch. I hit the G* import problem immediately. How do I get back to 7.2? Please, can someone explain in simple terms the procedure?

Can you explain more about the problems you have encountered? Did the workaround not help you?

I have not tried the workaround as (1) I don't have any of these hidden facets stuff and (2)  I cannot import any G8 characters into 3dx - even ones that used to import fine with 7.2. The figure imports and brings the textured background with it which never used to happen. When it imports it doesn't show pause and the long message panel that used to be there saying "3dX has recognized etc. blah blah" - and when I convert to non-standard it opens with the active box unchecked - and convert greyed out.

How do I get back to 7.2?
pruiz
pruiz
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

I just completely un-installed 3dx 7.21 and reinstalled 7.0 and the export of previous .fbx files (G8) and new ones I made that were not importing into 3dx as recognized g8 characters now works again just fine. I am overall quite pleased with RA and this suite of products but introducing a completely untested release that plain destroys the main function I use for character creation (i.e. Daz Studio) is a new experience for me.
Peter (RL) (4/20/2018)

I have not tried the workaround as (1) I don't have any of these hidden facets stuff and (2)  I cannot import any G8 characters into 3dx - even ones that used to import fine with 7.2. The figure imports and brings the textured background with it which never used to happen. When it imports it doesn't show pause and the long message panel that used to be there saying "3dX has recognized etc. blah blah" - and when I convert to non-standard it opens with the active box unchecked - and convert greyed out.

How do I get back to 7.2?

Dr. Nemesis
Dr. Nemesis
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)

Thanks to the guys working on this, and thanks for communicating your progress and the workarounds. Unfortunately TheOldBuffer is right, the proposed work around isn't best. At least not for me.
I intentionally hide model parts. Unhiding them for import is just undoing my own work, especially if I now have to make opacity maps to rehide the problem bodyparts once I'm in Iclone. Too time consuming for 30+ character models.

Face Count is an objectively bad way determine what Genesis generation is being imported.
For what it's worth, rather than using polycount, here are ways that I'd personally prefer:

1. As a workaround, I'd rather temporarily remove the offending characterization profile (I never import Genesis 8 so this is an easy solution for me but if you often import both 3 and 8, it wouldn't be for you). Or...
2. If 3DX gets confused have a dialogue box at import time that allows the user to specify whether it's Gen 3 or 8 as the user should know what the model is. Or...
3. Have it so we can manually initiate this whole process and specify the character's origin from a list.

Again thanks for your workaround but as is, it's a better use of my time to stay on 7.0 rather than do the workaround and enjoy the 7.21 enhancements.
Edited
3 Years Ago by Dr. Nemesis
charleshoover885
charleshoover885
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (803 reputation)Veteran Member (803 reputation)Veteran Member (803 reputation)Veteran Member (803 reputation)Veteran Member (803 reputation)Veteran Member (803 reputation)Veteran Member (803 reputation)Veteran Member (803 reputation)Veteran Member (803 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I am with TheOldBuffer and Dr. Nemesis on this. I have far too much invested in DAZ characters to even consider going backwards to "try" a workaround.  I am disappointed that I can't take advantage of the new features and enhancements of 7.21 but I can't loose the functionality of my library of Genesis 3 (and less Genesis 8) characters.

If RA can't fix the "auto" convert I would accept checking a box to identify Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 characters in 3Dxchange. You have to do that anyway in DS to apply the correct DUF.

So I am staying on 7.2.

Charles
pruiz
pruiz
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

charleshoover885 (4/21/2018)
I am with TheOldBuffer and Dr. Nemesis on this. I have far too much invested in DAZ characters to even consider going backwards to "try" a workaround.  I am disappointed that I can't take advantage of the new features and enhancements of 7.21 but I can't loose the functionality of my library of Genesis 3 (and less Genesis 8) characters.

If RA can't fix the "auto" convert I would accept checking a box to identify Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 characters in 3Dxchange. You have to do that anyway in DS to apply the correct DUF.

So I am staying on 7.2.

Charles

Workaround deal is rubbish for people that use Daz Studio as the character generator. I reverted to 7.0. Is there much benefit to to 7.2?

ian_11
ian_11
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (698 reputation)Veteran Member (698 reputation)Veteran Member (698 reputation)Veteran Member (698 reputation)Veteran Member (698 reputation)Veteran Member (698 reputation)Veteran Member (698 reputation)Veteran Member (698 reputation)Veteran Member (698 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
This really sucks Reallustion please fix this no horrible workarounds! 
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)

Can I ask while the Daz-3DXchange part is looking at being patched - 
the eyes come over the FBX as unsmoothed, like the rest of the body, but when you hit real-time smooth in iClone, the eyes are still unsmoothed. 
If there is a way to have the eyeball geometry smooth as well, thinking it will make the iris and sclera material look better (sometimes the connection points between the iris and sclera geometry are jagged with a slight gap.) 
Thanks!

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/30141df6-2e7a-4337-acd2-9146.jpg
Edited
3 Years Ago by TonyDPrime
dh93
dh93
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)

Joanne (RL) (4/17/2018)
Workaround for the Failure to Auto-convert Daz Genesis Characters

Hi,
  Your suggested workaround for hiding geometry doesn't seem to work in all instances.

I'm having trouble hiding the geometry for the Pix Circuit G3 character when the character is wearing the pants from the "Vigilante Outfit for Genesis 3 ...".  Note: the workaround works as expected when I apply the Jacket or the Corset from the Vigilante outfit set, but if I apply the pants to the character there seems to be no way to get the character's leg polygons to unhide.

HOWEVER, your workaround works if I switch the pants and use pants from the "Annika Storm for Genesis 3 ..." or the "Mercurial Guardian Outfit for Gen 3 ..." sets (when using the Annika pants or Mercurial pants I'm able to set the geometry visibility to show all polygons).

Thx
Darryl

Reading This Topic