CC2 Does Not Support Morph Sliders For Clothing Morph

Posted By Lord Ashes 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Lord Ashes
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
As far as I can tell, CC2 does not support Morph Sliders for Clothing Morphs. If you create clothing morphs (such as my Bell Bottoms Morph Cloth Base at https://city.reallusion.com/ContentPreview.aspx?i=JCC41f2ecd1a27c3ff95 or my Knee Length (or Shorter) Skirt Morph Cloth Base at https://city.reallusion.com/ContentPreview.aspx?i=JCC562e07d6eaa7e9271) using iC7's Morph Creator then the morphs work perfectly well in iC7 and if the clothing is brought into CC2 then CC2 will retain the morphs (i.e. if the clothing is saved in CC2 and then placed on a different character, the morphs will still be there when then clothing is taken to iC7) but CC2 does not show the morphs anywhere (i.e. so the morphs cannot be adjusted in CC2).

I though that CC2's Morph Sliders may be used to create Morph Sliders for the clothing morphs but it does not seem that this works...
Since Morph Sliders can use an iAvatar for both source and target, I needed to generate some iAvatars. There are 3 ways that I have found to save an iAvatar (in CC2, in iC7 and in MC of iC7). So I saved a base Avatar (one with the morph clothing but no morphs applied) using each of these methods. I then applied one of the morphs and re-save the Avatar (using a different file name) using all of these methods.

When I selected the create Morph Slider option in CC2, I immediately noticed that Cloth was not a category selection (only Body, Head, Eyes and Teeth were available). I then entered the base iAvatar file as the source and the morph iAvatar file as the target. I then filled out the other parameters needed to create the morph. In all 3 cases (using CC2, iC7 and MC iAvatar files) the Morph Slider was created but it seemed to have no effect.

It would be really nice to be able to create Morph Sliders for clothing so that morph clothing could be adjusted in CC2 and not just in iC7.

Is this a bug? Or is this a not implemented feature?

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I agree 100%.

I followed your path on this but never commented, because I could never get this to work either but was hoping you'd find a way.  But I think you summed it up well -- morphs just don't work on clothing, although it would seem like this would be a PERFECT thing to have (in my own case I wanted to have a jacket that would open and close -- I had all the morphs, but couldn't get it working at all).

I would hope that CC3 devs are at least looking at this as a possibility, but my gut tells me they are not.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 22 minutes ago
In your other thread you mentioned that the morph stuck with when sent to CC. When you save it to your CC library and apply it to a new character, does it still retain the morph?
Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Rampa (4/7/2018)
In your other thread you mentioned that the morph stuck with when sent to CC. When you save it to your CC library and apply it to a new character, does it still retain the morph?

Yes. That is all good. You can take clothing with morphs between iC7 and CC2, even save them in CC2, put them on a different character and once back in iC7 the morphs are available. No issue there and that is why I was able to start my Morph Cloth Line (currently featuring Bell Bottom Pants Base and Knee Length Skirt Base)...otherwise the morphs would be stuck to one character which would be useless.
However, it means that someone dressing a character in CC2 can't adjust the morphs until the character is pushed to iC7. It would be nice if we could set up Morph Sliders in CC2, like we can for character morphs, to accommodate clothing.  

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Kelleytoons (4/7/2018)
I agree 100%.
I followed your path on this but never commented, because I could never get this to work either but was hoping you'd find a way.  But I think you summed it up well -- morphs just don't work on clothing, although it would seem like this would be a PERFECT thing to have (in my own case I wanted to have a jacket that would open and close -- I had all the morphs, but couldn't get it working at all). I would hope that CC3 devs are at least looking at this as a possibility, but my gut tells me they are not.

Just to re-cap what I said...Clothing morphs DO work. They just can't be applied in CC2. Even when taken into CC2 and saved, the clothing does retain its iC7 morphs...they just can't be applied in CC2. You need to take the clothing to iC7 to apply it. So you can create your opening and closing jacket...it just means it can only be opened or closed in iC7. 

Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

BTW, when adding morphs to clothing in iC7 they are added to the character not the clothing. If you select the actual clothing within iC7 it does not give you the option for Morph Creator. You need to select the character wearing the clothing and then you get the Morph Creator option. However, applying clothing morphs to the characters (in Morph Creator) works fine. Note: The clothing morph OBJ file should contain only the clothing mesh (not the character and clothing mesh).

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Thanks for the clarification.  Does the weight map work the same when morphed?  (Before I go into all of this I need to know if that's possible).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Kelleytoons (4/7/2018)
Thanks for the clarification.  Does the weight map work the same when morphed?  (Before I go into all of this I need to know if that's possible).

Sorry but I have not fully explored that...eventually I will need to do some additional test to see how that works. So far my weight maps were fairly simple with the unchanging part (i.e. the part not affected by the morph) pinned and the rest of it flowing so changes to the mesh were not really affect in terms of the weight maps (regardless if the weight map morphed with the mesh or did not).

If I had to guess, I would say that each face will retain its weight map value similar to how each face retains its texture map. When the object is morphed the number of faces remains the must remain the same. The texture for each face is maintained. If the face is scaled the texture may be stretched for the face but not over all. I believe weight maps work the same way. So if I have a box that is 1m by 1m by 1m (yes, I'm not American) and then scale it to 1m by 1m by 0.5m, the box will still use the same amount of the texture file but the texture will be compressed in the last direction. I think the same will happen with the weight map. If, for example, you have a gradient from black to white over the length of your garment and then morph it to half its length, it will still be a gradient from white to black but just changing twice as fast. This however is unconfirmed, it is only my guess. 

Edited
6 Years Ago by Lord Ashes

Reading This Topic