iClone 7.x - Morph Creator - Offset & Distortion Issue

Posted By Lord Ashes 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Lord Ashes
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago

I created a pair of pants which I imported through CC2.3 and then brought into iClone7.3 on a CC2 character.
I then opened Morph Creator to try and add a morph to the pair of pants. I was able to add a clothing morph to a mini skirt so there does not seem to be an issue with adding morphs to clothing.
Initially I had some issues with my morph (not matching the number of vertices), so I got the idea of exporting my mesh from Morph Creator to ensure that I am applying the morph to the correct mesh.

First surprise was that when I exported the mesh from Morph Creator it seemed to have an offset as compared to original. After some though, I concluded that this could be correct because when I was rigging the pair of pants, I did move it. However the second surprise was that the morph failed spectacularly. It did load but when applied it did not look at all like it was supposed to. The other interesting observation was that when I use the morph that was based on the original mesh, the application of the morph in Morph Creator did not produce an offset. Assuming the assumption about why there was a Y offset between my original base mesh and the one exported from Morph Creator was true then I would have expected that when the morph based on the exported mesh is used then it would not have an offset but the opposite seems true.

In any case both morphs failed spectacularly and morph based on the Morph Creator export causes an additional Y offset. As can be seen in the video, the meshes when viewed in a software editing program show perfectly fine (I did not spin them around in the video but I did check that they are fine). I am sure that I will get a few laughs when people notice the software that I am using but when the meshes are loaded into Blender they also appear fine.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

BTW: I am not sure if it is related but I sometimes saw a similar y-offset introduced when I was working with using character expressions to make morph props (prior to iClone7). However, in these cases applying an offset to compensate usually resolved the problem. In this case the problem is not only the offset.

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I am not sure if that is your case (I never morphed a cloth), but as a rule, before I rig a cloth to the character I make sure to reset scale,
location and rotation (that is in Blender). As a matter of fact I do it with anything before I export it out of Blender. Saves me all kind of trouble in the future.
You may want to go back and rig those pants over making sure you reset all to 0 (if there is a way to do it in Anim80or) before you rig it.
Then bring it back to CC/iClone and try to morph again. See if you get a different result.

Edited
6 Years Ago by 4u2ges
Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Thanks. I will give that a try. I have a feeling that may help with the offset but I am dubious that it will help with the distortion...but I'll give it a try just in case.

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I managed to get the issue resolved. I rigged the clothing in Blender and then used that mesh as the mesh for my morphs. Initial results resolved the distortion issue but the scale was off by 100! When I scale up the morphs based on the Blender mesh, it worked almost perfectly but there was a slight Y axis shift. I compensated with a Y-axis shift in the opposite direction and now the morphs work fine...no distortion.

But now that leads me to another related question...

https://forum.reallusion.com/362551/Morph-Creator-How-To-Save-Morphs    

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 44 minutes ago
Don't forget you can set the scale in the Blender export panels for OBJ or FBX.
Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Rampa (4/2/2018)
Don't forget you can set the scale in the Blender export panels for OBJ or FBX.

Ah! That is probably how the FBX (and thus CC) is getting a version of the mesh that is 100 times bigger (and thus I needed to scale my morphs accordingly). Thanks for that reminder.

Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I noticed that the morphs still have distortion after all...it is just very small compared to the original distortion problem. I think I need to figure out the correct scale for CC so that there is no scaling anywhere. I wonder if the distortion is a rounding error or something...

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
What is your workflow on this (through Blender I assume). I'd like to try it. Appreciate a brief Step-by-Step.

Edited
6 Years Ago by 4u2ges
Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I found one immediate issue which is adding to the frustration of scale: The Template FBX and the Template OBJ are not the same scale. The Template OBJ is 100 times larger. I opened Blender and imported the Template FBX (Body Templates General) and then the Template OBJ (Body Templates | OBJ with Quad Mesh) and the OBJ is 100 times bigger. If I scale the OBJ mesh down by 100, it lines up with the FBX.

Work Flow:
1. Open Template OBJ file in mesh editing software (I use a different program than Blender to modify the mesh...haven't mastered that in Blender yet...but I use Blender for rigging).
2. Cut off torso and feet to get a pair of skin tight pants.
3. Save OBJ file. Note that this process did not involve any scaling.
4. Modify mesh to create Morph.
5. Save OBJ file. Note that this process did not involve any scaling.
6. Open Blender.
7. Import Template FBX file (to get CC2 Armature).
8. Import OBJ file created in step 3.
9. Observe that OBJ content is 100 times too larger.
10. Scale OBJ content by 0.01
11. Attach OBJ mesh to armature (with empty weight groups)
12. Transfer weights from CC Body to OBJ mesh
13. Export FBX (using Scale 1.0 during the export)
14. In CC2 use the Create Cloth option to import FBX.
15. In CC2 conform resulting clothing to character.
16. Push to iC7
17. In iC7 open Morph Creator.
18. Add Morph and select the OBJ file created in step 5 (i.e. the morph)
19. Observe that when the morph is applied there is a slight shift backwards and slight distortion (certain vertices seem to be offset creating some cone like protrusions from the mesh)

I cannot explain either the shift or the distortion.

I specifically loaded the OBJ and FBX into blender (and after scaling) checked to see if there is an offset between them (that would account for the offset being added during the morph). However, to me it looks like the meshes overlap each other exactly (i.e. there does not seem to be a shift between the OBJ and FBX content).
I also tried exporting the FBX scaled up and scaled down (in case the distortion is some form of clipping) but that did not seem to help, it just make the content load oddly in CC2 because the scale was either too big or too small for CC2.    

Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Just to add...

To compensate for the scale difference between the OBJ and FBX files, I have tried both scaling the OBJ down and scaling the FBX up. Neither produced fully working results.

Reading This Topic