Posted By Grace (RL) 6 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.

[iClone & 3DXchange 7.21] Optimized Genesis 8 and Daz Import Pipeline

Author
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
It's always worth reporting it on the feedback tracker and not assuming anyone else has done so.

As usual, this is a case of "gee, we didn't have any beta testers so it's amazing that folks are finding things we never would have."  Either that or who they have testing don't know their bottom from a hole in the ground.  CLEARLY this would have been discovered by ANYONE (even me, and I don't use Daz characters) once they tried it out.  I love me some RL products, but their testing leaves a LOT to be desired.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
cheyennerobinson_45
cheyennerobinson_45
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (286 reputation)Senior Member (286 reputation)Senior Member (286 reputation)Senior Member (286 reputation)Senior Member (286 reputation)Senior Member (286 reputation)Senior Member (286 reputation)Senior Member (286 reputation)Senior Member (286 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Thanks! I just reported and hopefully provided enough information for them to correct the issue.  For now i thin i will correct it by editing each key frame.  Thanks again for the info.
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Please do make sure you have downloaded the current Genesis Extension. It was updated at the same time as 7.21
Note the name change  to v4 (version 4).
iClone_Daz_Genesis_Extension_v4_IC7

It's available in the download link for 3DX7 on the Registration page of your Reallusion Account. Please read all the readmes carefully, as there is DSF info in the "Reallusion" folders that must be copied into DAZ.
Edited
6 Years Ago by Rampa
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Already did that, Rampa -- still doesn't work.

(It DOES work with Gen 8 figures, though).

Trust us, this is broken.

(As others have said -- it will work with BASE Gen 3 figures, but not any that have any morphs applied, as you would if you put a character on.  It looks like RL just didn't test it that way).

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Edited
6 Years Ago by Kelleytoons
R Ham
R Ham
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
I have struggled for a long, long time trying to import DS characters into IC. It works. Sometimes. Somewhat. Under certain circumstances. It is inconsistent and unreliable, and to the degree that it does work, it does not produce satisfactory results. I have recently given up  entirely. I'm not a stupid man, but I will barf if I have to watch one more YT RL marketing video showing the process take place with the greatest of ease, totally free of issues or shortcomings.

I don't fault RL engineering for this. Any time two complex components made by two different companies have to mate and play together, and something goes wrong, it's always somebody else's fault. Recent improvements to CC make it a bit less important to import DS characters anyway. CC is on the right track. A little more facial definition (the wrinkles are great, more please), and a little more usability testing in creating morph sliders and maybe a couple of other things, and there will be no need to import anything from DS.  More engineering and less marketing.

"Less clicks good, more clicks bad."
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

The real problem, Mr. R, is we know they CAN do it.  I don't know if you've tried the latest with the Genesis 8 characters, but the process is quick and completely painless (I can export from Daz and import into iClone in less than five minutes, with no heavy lifting and just a few button presses).  For them to get THIS right and then fail on the other parts is what makes folks a bit crazy.

I'd be REALLY upset if I actually wanted to do this and couldn't with my Gen 3 characters, since they promised as much and didn't deliver (at least all the way).  I'm absolutely astonished they didn't have someone on the beta team who wanted to do this, and would have tested it out thoroughly (as it was it only took me a few minutes to find it wasn't working).  Perhaps even if it was truly impossible (maybe they just can't account for the Gen 3 stuff now) they ought to at least warn folks, instead of leading them on.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
R Ham
R Ham
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

Kelleytoons (4/15/2018)
The real problem, Mr. R, is we know they CAN do it.  I don't know if you've tried the latest with the Genesis 8 characters, but the process is quick and completely painless (I can export from Daz and import into iClone in less than five minutes, with no heavy lifting and just a few button presses).

So after you import your craggy-faced, wrinkled, detailed model from DS, you find it has turned into a featureless lump of wax. High res models and realtime animation rendering don't mix. Not yet anyway. Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer choice. I'm finished beating myself up. I don't care if G80 characters import simultaneously singing and dancing.

Some users here think the import process works fine, and post messages saying so. If you were RL, who would you believe? Them, or you? Smile

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Sometimes locking the morphs helps. I think that basically makes it bake. You can set stuff like that in the morph export rules too, but that will require some figuring out.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/77ecb184-0943-4f98-8bda-aaee.jpg
R Ham
R Ham
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

`

Edited
6 Years Ago by Rottenham
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Rampa (4/15/2018)
Sometimes locking the morphs helps. I think that basically makes it bake. You can set stuff like that in the morph export rules too, but that will require some figuring out.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/77ecb184-0943-4f98-8bda-aaee.jpg

Maybe, Rampa, but should you have to do it?  Particularly when it works (without baking any morphs) on G8?

As I said before, I really could care less if this works or not.  I have what I want, the ability to use Daz clothing on my CC characters.  I was just trying to help others, as I know you do as well.  But RL shouldn't be saying it works when it clearly does not, or at the very least they ought to say "well, it works under *these* conditions".  They didn't test it out, that's obvious, and that's a Bad Thing, and (unfortunately) it's typical of way too many things around here.  

We used to say "code in haste, debug in leisure" and that apparently is not something that bothers anyone from RL.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Reading This Topic