Profile Picture

external painting and texture import - 3d-coat

Posted By bela_sieck 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
bela_sieck
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (391 reputation)Senior Member (391 reputation)Senior Member (391 reputation)Senior Member (391 reputation)Senior Member (391 reputation)Senior Member (391 reputation)Senior Member (391 reputation)Senior Member (391 reputation)Senior Member (391 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Hello everyone,

I don't have much experience with 3D and I currently have only CCLite. 
I exported an CC character as obj., painted on it in 3d-coat to make it look like porcelain and now want to import the texture back into CC. I can import the diffuse maps, but don't know how to import the reflection, the porcelain-like effect. Is there a way to import the textures as a whole in one step? So that I would just select the exported and painted obj. file and it applies it's textures to the cc character?

Thanks Smile
wires
wires
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
If you exported all of the Texture/Material images from 3DCoat then you can use these in iClone/CC.

You just need to place the correct image in the required Map in the Materials Modify panel. If using PBR then add the Reflection Map to the Roughness slot.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/16043b9a-caa9-40fd-bb7c-7645.png

If using the Traditional Materials settings then just add it to the Reflection slot.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/400bbfc8-dcde-4b49-b164-9b6a.png

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

gcshep
gcshep
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago

You might find this of help.

iClone Character Creator Tutorial - Custom Facial Texture Maps with 3D Coat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bviMTFk07h0

Best Regards
George

bela_sieck
bela_sieck
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (391 reputation)Senior Member (391 reputation)Senior Member (391 reputation)Senior Member (391 reputation)Senior Member (391 reputation)Senior Member (391 reputation)Senior Member (391 reputation)Senior Member (391 reputation)Senior Member (391 reputation)

Thanks Smile. Somehow exporting the specularity from 3dCoat doesn't work. It exports files called ..._specular.psd, but those don't contain any color, they're just transparent. Using them (exported as .png) doesn't have any effect. It does work when I use simple white png.files for specularity. 

Is there any method with which I could apply all textures in one step, without applying them one by one? 

If I would have 3dxchange pro (not the Pipeline version): Could I export the character from CC as .obj, import it into 3dCoat, change the texture, than export it as .obj and just reimport it into CC, with automatically reintroducing the bones and morps so that I could still pose it in Iclone?

Also: Can I somehow use .psd files in CC or do I have to export them all as .png?
bela_sieck
bela_sieck
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks Smile I don't know which of the exported textures I'm supposed to use. If I export the specularity, ist just an empty psd. file, it has no effect when I export as png. and use it for the specularity. I can just create a white png. and use it for specularity.But it's not exactly the same degree of reflection/metalness I created in coat3d.

I need to learn more about 3dcoat... My model in 3dcoat has only layers named ..._roughness or ..._metalness, besides the color maps. I can export the metalness but I'm not sure to which layer I should apply it. It has 30 layers called .._metalness and I don't know which to merge or how to deal with it...

Is there any way to just import and apply the painted textures in one step? Could I export the CC character with 3dxchange pro (not the Pipeline version) as obj, paint the texture in 3doat, reimport the obj into CC and reintroduce the moprhs/bones so that I could still pose the character? Just as a more convenient way to apply the textuers.

Thanks for the video, but I watched it before. It helped me with importing the diffuse map, but it doesn't deal with specularity or metalness. 
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
PBR materials (used in iClone 7) have a metallic and roughness channels, so obviously you would use the correct map for each.  If you have that many layers in 3D Coat that's a 3D Coat issue (in that program you can create as many layers as you want, but to export you should merge them all down into one.  You might want to ask on the 3D Coat program the best way to proceed with that process).  Unfortunately, OBJ export won't do PBR, so you can't just load it in and have all the channels done automagically for you, but it isn't hard to find each layer and to load it in separately.  IIRC, 3D Coat even names the layers (so it will have a suffix like "_Metallic" and then you know which one it is).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
ABeconis
ABeconis
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (325 reputation)Senior Member (325 reputation)Senior Member (325 reputation)Senior Member (325 reputation)Senior Member (325 reputation)Senior Member (325 reputation)Senior Member (325 reputation)Senior Member (325 reputation)Senior Member (325 reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
bela_sieck,you should really watch some beginner tutorials on 3D Coat. I stopped using it myself quite a long time ago, but if I remember correctly, there is somewhere an option to export textures with different profiles. That way all the layers are merged correctly and only the final textures are exported. Regarding empty specular, I think it’s because you are working with roughness (which you should for CC/IC7) and not specular, therefore you don’t have any information to export so - empty file.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/03d18550-a966-4298-a4f1-054d.png       https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/89fa1743-05a6-4656-bdc0-4089.png

Edited
6 Years Ago by ABeconis

Reading This Topic