Posted By Lord Ashes 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Help Needed With Modified Blender Workflow For Clothing Creation

Author
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Rampa (2/23/2018)
There are some bones that you should not weight to. I think that is what's causing the error. The root, "CC_Base_BoneRoot", is one. The hand and feet contact points also need to be not weighted to..

Rampa,

I'm revisiting this process, because the default weighting is not at all smooth for my purposes.  I find I can't alter it at all (after Transfer weights I can't get the weight paint to do a thing) but that's probably my lack of Blender experience.  However, I'm confused about what you say here.  If the BaseRoot bone and hand and feet contact points aren't to be weighted, why do they show up in the Vextex groups when you do Assign Weights?  They don't give you an error if you follow that procedure (i.e. if you go ahead and do Assign Weights and then bring into CC) but they DO give an error if you run Automatic Weights even though no weighting is assigned to those bones (you can tell by selecting the vertex groups -- they remain unweighted just as they are when you do the Assign Weights transfer).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Thanks for the suggestion of removing automatic weight mapping from some bones to try to get it working...as soon as I get some time, I will give that a try.

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Looks like I missed answering KT here. Also important for everyone else. It shouldn't matter if those bones have groups, just that nothing is weighted to them.

Always use the "with empty groups" when you bind to the armature in Blender. That way you don't end up with vertices weighted to the wrong bones.
Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
4u2ges (2/23/2018)
Agree with Rampa. Why do you think Automatic Weight Group would give you a better result?

I don't necessarily think that...but I think it would be a better starting point. The current Blender to iClone work flow is to transfer weight from CC Body. This works well with pants like clothing but causes problems when used for long dresses, long skirts, and robes. I believe both the Blender automatic weights or the DAZ transfer utility create better weight map starting points because they take the mesh (somewhat) into consideration. I am not saying that using their of these methods would result in a final weight map...but I am saying it would be a better starting point (for long dresses, long skirts and robes) than simply transferring weights from CC Body.
Thinking back to my pre-iClone experience with DAZ Studio, although one can weight paint clothing (or other stuff) in DAZ Studio for clothing in most cases it was not necessary because the Transfer Utility generated reasonable weight maps on its own.
Can I create the weight maps myself? Yes. With it take a huge amount of time? No but it does take time. So if I can get a utility that will generate, for example, a 75% good weight map which only needs to be touched up to correct 25% of it, I am not going to reject it. 

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Rampa (3/11/2018)
Looks like I missed answering KT here. Also important for everyone else. It shouldn't matter if those bones have groups, just that nothing is weighted to them.

Always use the "with empty groups" when you bind to the armature in Blender. That way you don't end up with vertices weighted to the wrong bones.

That's okay, Rampa -- I would have nagged at you if I had needed an answer, but I found it shortly afterwards.  I also wrote an automated blur routine for my Blender weighting that is giving excellent results, with very little (or no) touchup needed afterwards.  So far it's working well even on long dresses (although, obviously, a key is to create a physics weight map and let Blender take care of those things at the ends).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Delerna
Delerna
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Kelleytoons (3/12/2018)

I also wrote an automated blur routine for my Blender weighting that is giving excellent results, with very little (or no) touchup needed afterwards.  So far it's working well even on long dresses (although, obviously, a key is to create a physics weight map and let Blender take care of those things at the ends).

I have been wanting to get into that but just haven't had time to look into it yet.
Actually, my not having time to look into it is a bit silly because spending time on something like that saves a lot of time in future developments
Yep I will definitely look into that now

i7-3770 3.4GHz CPU 16 GB Ram   
GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Kelleytoons (3/12/2018)
Rampa (3/11/2018)

That's okay, Rampa -- I would have nagged at you if I had needed an answer, but I found it shortly afterwards.  I also wrote an automated blur routine for my Blender weighting that is giving excellent results, with very little (or no) touchup needed afterwards.  So far it's working well even on long dresses (although, obviously, a key is to create a physics weight map and let Blender take care of those things at the ends).

Now that sounds extremely useful! Smile
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

It certainly is for me, Rampa.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Reading This Topic