Profile Picture

Why do Daz clothes "break up" when imported into CC?

Posted By Kelleytoons 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 47 minutes ago
So I've experimented quite a bit with taking Daz clothes from Daz, though Blender, and then into CC, with mixed results.  Some of the time it works very well, but most of the time there are definite issues with what I can best as "breaking up" where the pieces of the mesh actually crumple against each other when deformed.

Ignoring the fact these are two different characters (so somewhat different body types) here's the exact same clothing piece on a Daz character imported into iClone:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/39c54e4b-0e8c-4808-9ca7-c0cc.png

And then the same clothing, imported through CC, onto a CC character:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/8e7d6eee-2e1e-412a-9803-f587.png

Does anyone have a clue as to what could be going on?  I thought at first it was due to the construction of the clothing itself, but if that's true then why does the Daz character (in iClone, mind you, with the exact same pose applied) work fine?  If it's not the clothing, it must be how I'm bringing it in, so I suspect a weighting issue, but I'm following the only procedure I know how (using the By Name in Blender to transfer the weights).  If there's some other way I should be doing this I'd love to know.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
vidi
vidi
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
seems only press automatic skinning button in blender is not enough.how good looks a meshdeformation depends from weighting  .weightpainting  is the key 
Also i would create shirt and vest separately and hide unnecessary polygons 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 47 minutes ago
You were right, Vidi -- but I was able to write a python routine which does automatically blur the auto weights and thus results in very good skinning (and the vest and shirt are part of a single mesh, so no chance to separate).

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5ca14985-2f8c-48c3-acf8-59f2.png

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Kelleytoons (3/9/2018)
You were right, Vidi -- but I was able to write a python routine which does automatically blur the auto weight

Any chance you would like to share that python script? Is it something that could be used by others? Sounds like a useful script.
the vest and shirt are part of a single mesh, so no chance to separate

I am not sure if this is the case in your particular instance but I have found that some 3rd party content is made from multiple mesh pieces that then then joined into one single mesh. While such a mesh appears as one mesh in software (like Blender) the different parts of the mesh are not actually stitched together and can cause odd effects especially when resizing or auto fitting. For example, when conform is used on such meshes the seams where the pieces of meshes are not stitched together can reduce/increase individually causing gaps to appear.
I will confess that in some quick content I am guilty of such atrocity myself...for example, my freebie Mrs Clause outfit (provided as a x-mas freebie) added a faux-fur trim to the end of a skirt. Since I already had a skirt, I just added a second mesh containing the trim and joined the meshes together. To save time, I didn't actually merge the two meshes to use common vertex points and thus while the meshes appeared as one mesh, they were still made up of two parts (the skirt and the trim). This is why, if someone turned on physics for the skirt, the trim fell right off (because there was nothing joining the two mesh pieces even though they were one mesh). I've even written myself a little app that stitches mesh parts together for cases where working on separate mesh pieces is desirable but I then want the whole thing to not fall apart.  

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
Chase MT
Chase MT
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (576 reputation)Veteran Member (576 reputation)Veteran Member (576 reputation)Veteran Member (576 reputation)Veteran Member (576 reputation)Veteran Member (576 reputation)Veteran Member (576 reputation)Veteran Member (576 reputation)Veteran Member (576 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I'm totally new to this, but has there been a solution the the clothing breaking up when importing from Daz to CC3? 

Reading This Topic