Hiding parts of a Prop

Posted By sonic7 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Greetings....
I was wanting to get a little more camera room in a set (without the walls getting in the way).
Is there a way of turning off (making Invisible) parts of a prop?
In the iClone's scene manager, it only shows the entire prop with no further breakdown.
Yet when in 3DXchange, the full breakdown IS visible in the "tree structure".
Just wondering if part of a prop can be made invisible from within iClone itself.
Many thanks ......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

gordryd
gordryd
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
You should be able to solve this by using the 'Clipping Plane' feature of the camera (it ignores everything that is not within a certain range that you define).  From the manual:

Clipping Planes of the Camera
If your actor moves in a building, you may want to ignore the walls or furniture between the actor and the camera, you may use the Clipping Planes feature. By defining the range consists of Near and Far parameters, you may see the actors behind the wall or relieve the load of your system. This feature can not be set as a key in the Timeline.
Rule of Clipping-planes
The Clipping-Planes provide two parameters, Near and Far, to define the render range of a camera.
Setting the Near Clipping Plane Value
If your actor is indoor, the wall of the room will always hinder the view. You may use the Near Clipping Plane to filter out the objects within this distance.
Go to the camera modify panel.
In the Camera section, click the up arrow of the Near Clipping Plane.
If you encounter Z-fighting situation (Two extremely close faces cause the flicking result), increase the Near Clipping Plane value by 1 or 2 may solve this problem.
Clipping Planes affects only the rendering result instead of actually cutting any entity in the project.
Setting the Far Clipping Plane Value
If your Terrain is so wide that it is beyond the camera's rendering range, you may adjust this value to solve this issue.
Go to the camera modify panel.
In the Camera section, click the up arrow of the Far Clipping Plane.

Reallusion Certified Director / Reallusion Best Visual Award / Reallusion Certified Content Developer
See all the G-Tools Plug-Ins available for iClone here: G-Tools Plug-Ins

sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)

Thanks for your reply Gordryd ....
Only problem is the "Up arrow of the Near Cipping Plane" doesn't seem to be available to me (please see pic)

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/31c4dfb6-15f8-426b-9929-7833.jpg

Not sure why though ....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
Slayerazazel
Slayerazazel
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
I would suggest the following and see if it works

While in 3DXchange navigate the tree menu and find the particular parts of the prop that are in the way. Then highlight them, and use the make sub prop button and name it to what you wish. Then import to iclone as a prop and it should now show the new "Sub Prop as you titled it" in your dropdown list in iclone. From here you will have more control over that specific section (Delete/Hide/Opacity etc..)

That's just off the top of my head, as i am not at my PC to double check. Hope this helps and is what you are looking for.

Edited
6 Years Ago by Slayerazazel
rgreenidge
rgreenidge
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Sonic I have used clipping a lot. I wonder if you can't checked the clipping box because you are using a special back camera? I never understood why those camera models are added to iClone. I'm rendering a scene and can't help you right now. I used hundreds of cameras, and I can't see what's really the purpose because you can manually change you output size and ratios? Try seeing if you can clip without the special cameras.  

Home built; ASRock X570 Pro 4, AMD Ryzen 9-5950X CPU, AMD RADEON RX6900XT, 16GB video card, 131GB of RAM.

sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

OK .....
Thanks heaps to members for your help....
I couldn't get the "Clipping Planes of the Camera" approach to work (the grayed out "Show Range" might be the issue - can't say).
But Slayerazazel's idea DID work for me.
As he said, it's just a matter of selecting (in 3DXchange), the bits you want to toggle off or on in your set - making them a "Sub Group".
Once you've made the sub group (and this is the GREAT part), all you need do is click the "Apply to iClone" button and Voila! your complete modified prop is instantly sent back into iClone straight from Xchange!
Then, back in iClone, just delete the original prop version keeping the new version and the extra sub group is now there to toggle SHOW / HIDE.
So you don't have to even import it manually!

gordryd
gordryd
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Sonic, check to make sure you are not in 'Preview' mode.  The 'Clipping Planes' apparently don't work in Preview -- you will need to 'create' a camera before you can use this method.

Reallusion Certified Director / Reallusion Best Visual Award / Reallusion Certified Content Developer
See all the G-Tools Plug-Ins available for iClone here: G-Tools Plug-Ins

sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hi gordryd....
Yes you were right; using the preview camera results in a grayed out box for "Show Clipping Pane Range"
After "creating" a new camera the box became available for ticking, - so I did. But where to from here?
(Please see pic)

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/2eb83cb2-f51b-4fdb-90fa-ed15.jpg

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
wires
wires
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
You need to expand the Modify panel to the right in order to enter in the values:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/b6d4c0de-26cb-4db8-b92f-138f.png

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

Edited
6 Years Ago by wires
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Ahhh ..... I see, thank you! 
Yes I was hiding it from myself!
Thanks -  Wires & Gordryd

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e5ea3b44-bfc4-46c0-bc8a-f290.jpg

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7

Reading This Topic