Character Creator - 2018 Roadmap

Posted By Miranda (RL) 6 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 3 votes.
Author
SpiderTec
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
What about multi limb characters in the future with a bone insertion option? 4 arms..  12 tentacles in their hair, 6 eyes....etc. Just human characters?
joel.lovell
joel.lovell
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I wonder if this means that the GoZ export in DAZ will have an easier method to get figure and clothes and hair products into CC...
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
TonyDPrime (2/14/2018)
grabiller (2/14/2018)
TonyDPrime (2/14/2018)
@ KT & Guy- I am rooting for PBR to get better myself, I LOVE looking at what developments and products Unreal and Unity have been getting with regards to their PBR engine shading routines.
And this does look like an Indigo "reboot".  Yeah, not everyone wants what it gives...but you know a lot of us will be buying this. 
But let's say iRay can cut its speed in half (I know...) ...and maybe not an 1 hr video, but a 10 minute video, this would be < 24 hr...with photoreal reflections, refractions, SSS, and occlusions....this would be pretty compelling../..

But I can do that already with Lightwave/Octane or Softimage/Redshift so what the point in using iClone then ?

Right, but just imagine having PopcornFX, the lighting, everything non-exportable by iClone to these other formats, with said rendering improvement.
But I know what you are saying...I'm imagining lighting the scene in iClone and using its own internals...In this case I think re-doing the texturing & lighting work is a hassle sometimes once exported out, would be quite the convenience all in iClone.   But, if you just create a scene and then go out to texture materials and light later, yeah, nothing really gained. 
Like a convenience thing to have everything in iClone.  

I came to iClone 10 years ago or so to experiment the feasibility of full 3d TV Shows and Movies with a "machinima" approach and 10 years later here is iClone v7.2 which is close to offer all the needed features for that. The united motion capture pipeline will be unique and sounds awesome, in fact a lot of already available or announced features are awesome, but there is still this "little" shard in the foot that stop you to walk straight: rendering.

Huge improvements in v7.2, for sure, lot of things can be done but we are not there yet, and if Reallusion thinks it can solve the rendering rants and issues by integrating a "standard" renderer we already have - meaning not "machinima" related which means not near realtime rendering - and if I can render better and faster elsewhere, then why bother using iClone anymore (as a movie maker that is) ?

The iClone rendering solution should already be at least as good or better than Unreal or Unity, a better alternative would be Brigade though.

That said, Reallusion did a pretty good job at staying alive, and they seem to have much more resources than by the past so I can't criticize their commercial and marketing decisions, including getting closer from the game market.

All I am asking is for them to finish the job by addressing definitively this rendering issue. Once done, they can work on whatever extension, plugin, new features, new innovations, new ideas they want or have in mind.

--
guy rabiller | GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
"N.O.E." (Nations Of Earth) Sci-Fi TV Show, Showrunner.

Edited
6 Years Ago by grabiller
RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)

Great news! 2018 will be an interesting year.... Smile

My PC:
OS: Windows 10 Pro English 64-bit / CPU: Intel i7-9700 3.6GHz / MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z390  RAM: 32GB DDR4 2.6GHz / HD: 2TB+3TB  /  
SSD: 2x512GB Samsung 860 EVO + 1x2TB Samsung
VB: Palit GTX2080 TI GamingPro 11GB / AB: embedded in the MB and VB (audio from the MOTU M4 I/F) / DirectX: 12

DV-Studios
DV-Studios
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (557 reputation)Veteran Member (557 reputation)Veteran Member (557 reputation)Veteran Member (557 reputation)Veteran Member (557 reputation)Veteran Member (557 reputation)Veteran Member (557 reputation)Veteran Member (557 reputation)Veteran Member (557 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
The upgrades sound great. I agree with more support for non-human characters such as animals in CC. Also would love to be able to import characters such as DAZ characters into CC. Maybe 3D exchange could convert, or since its planned to be stand-alone have it built right in. Also one more request. Fur. Looking forward to the new CC.

https://digitalvectorstudios.com/
uvz
uvz
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (223 reputation)Junior Member (223 reputation)Junior Member (223 reputation)Junior Member (223 reputation)Junior Member (223 reputation)Junior Member (223 reputation)Junior Member (223 reputation)Junior Member (223 reputation)Junior Member (223 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I had been hoping for CC to create a low res mesh for mobile games. But the polygon count still looks too much for mobile phones. More than the AAA games people are on their mobile. That chunk of the market can not be tapped with such a polygon count. It needs to be brought way down than the one being proposed in CC 3.  With a polygon count like the one proposed now it wouldn't budge in the mobile. Considering the fact that Di-O-Matic had Face generator that could create high poly Character Faces  for Film and Broadcast and low poly ones for games. Something has to be done for poly count to be limited between 5000 and 7000 polygons max. 

Also it would be nice to have a CC for animals.

Also there should have been a dynamic hair creation and combing solution the type that exists in Blender using particles.

Also instead of only showing Character modification with ZBrush why not show it with Blender. And then again if Blender can have inbuilt sculpting tool set  then why not CC 3.  It would be a great idea to not have to spend on a 3rd party software.

Also in for the renderer I wanted the possibility of layers such as diffuse, shadow, normal, ambient occlusion etc. to be renderable separately so as to have better control in compositing.

Also the inbuilt Stereoscopic render workflow needs to be improved with each individual layer rendrable separately. I'd like to see some serious tutorials on it too.

Also the particle system could have a modular workflow where components could be chosen for each stage just like the Particle system in 3ds max.

And saving the best for the last : The cost difference in iContent and Export should be made Zero.
son.m
son.m
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)

For me CC has always been a most wanted tool for iClone that could get some extra features and improvements (I want similar freedom I saw years ago in game char editors for my iClone chars..)

But now it sounds that reallusion focuses more on non-iClone users (who could use other 3D tools already) instead of their own customers.

I don't want to pay extra for CC 3 (and CC 3 content) even when I already paid for iClone 7 and use it only for iClone.

At a certain point it might be easier to create videos with true games & mods & programs like hitfilm or after effects (again) instead of using iClone, what would be really sad.
animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
I think these are interesting developments. How useful it be for my own work remains to be seen. If I can now have a mirror, I would be happy.

I am in favor of adding render alternatives without having to rely on external 3D programs (LightWave, Maya, Blender), simply because of the hassle of exporting scenes. A direct plugin to external render is a better option. That didn't work very well with Indigo, but that was mainly because of the under-optimized way in which the export from iClone was implemented. In that regard I hope that the export to Iray is more efficient (or perhaps Iray is more tightly integrated).

@Guy, I looked at Brigade, and it seems that it is still under development? I was happy to find though that Brigade originated from a Dutchman...Tongue

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)

@animagic
Yes it is still in development but it is supposed to be release this year with Octane v4.
It is currently being integrated with Unity:
Available Now: OctaneRender for Unity

Regarding iRay, according to the video, it seems it will be "integrated" into iClone rather than being presented as an external plugin to which we have to "export" special scene files.
-- update --
Or may be not, there is still a new window opening for rendering iRay, I though it would be like in Daz 3D, rendering into the iClone viewport. But lets wait for the official release to see the final integration..

Perhaps iRay will be a good surprise after all, faster than Indigo for sure. But I'm eager to see Brigade performances in Unity once officially released because if it is really realtime as promised, that will be awesome, but not for us..

--
guy rabiller | GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
"N.O.E." (Nations Of Earth) Sci-Fi TV Show, Showrunner.

Edited
6 Years Ago by grabiller
midnight.stories.ltd
midnight.stories.ltd
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (492 reputation)Senior Member (492 reputation)Senior Member (492 reputation)Senior Member (492 reputation)Senior Member (492 reputation)Senior Member (492 reputation)Senior Member (492 reputation)Senior Member (492 reputation)Senior Member (492 reputation)

Only just saw this the weight map improvements are excellent, only thing I would suggest is looking at the sideways movement of the legs they tend to pull the groin too much giving bad distortion to clothes if you spit too much !
Also have you ever considered doing a DAZ version of the base figures it would make clothes a lot simpler. plus it's a free program and a lot easier to use than blender.

Reading This Topic