iClone 7 - 2018 Roadmap

Posted By Grace (RL) 6 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.

Author
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
SeanMac (2/17/2018)
Ok I guess that might be useful for interaction, More useful IMHO for game engines.

Let's say, for some reason, you have 50 chairs into a set and you want to place a light above each chair. Doing this manually main be cumbersome, so using a small script in such case would be very useful.

--
guy rabiller | GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
"N.O.E." (Nations Of Earth) Sci-Fi TV Show, Showrunner.

GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)

Kelleytoons (2/17/2018)
../.. As to what it can do -- you could program a traffic system (so moving vehicles around intelligently), or even just such simple things as when you move a prop the wheels rotate automatically correctly.  I can think of several hundred fairly neat programming things that would make animation better but that leaves a TON of stuff on the table -- light controls (how about scripts to flicker lights on/off or in sequence, or when something approaches?  Or material consolidation?  Or changing materials when things happen -- how about a sensor that turns a beam on when someone approaches?../..

You are pointing out a very important aspect of the scripting engine that is not described in the roadmap:
In which context(s) we will have scripting ?
- One shot scripts (tools): scripts you launch once, data management, etc..
- Scripts that can react to certain stimuli (events)
- Scripts that update constantly the state of one or several items (operators/modifiers)

--

Edited
6 Years Ago by grabiller
Dr. Nemesis
Dr. Nemesis
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Right now I’m thinking about a script to automatically offset camera animations and make them look handheld. I was hoping I could kiss all my material woes goodbye, or maybe make a render queue script, but it seems that’s for another time. Will be interesting to see if anyone makes some puppetry devices and use Python to control characters or cameras.
SeanMac
SeanMac
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Guys. Guys! This is all on the rebuttable presumption that grabiller's deduction that the RTS on the Python announcement meant Rotation/ Transform/ Scale.

Let's hear from RL.

Maybe we should all join hands and get in touch with reality?

Peter, Where are you?
Edited
6 Years Ago by SeanMac
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

SeanMac (2/17/2018)
../..Rotation/ Transform/ Scale../..

Rotation/Translation/Scaling Smile
"Transform" is the combination of the three above.

--

RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)

justaviking (2/17/2018)

Regarding Python and RTS...
I had hoped for more, naturally, but always assumed the first release of "Python support" would be limited.  But I didn't know it would be limited to only RTS.

Hi Dennis,

RL wrote that this will be the 1st step to introduce the Python API
"The first stage we will open the animation API for iClone such as: RTS for props, cameras and devices for animation or mocap control. "
To me this sounds like an evolution and enhancement vs. additional features.
I can understand RL: offering a way to change everything could create a lot of issues and bugs, so a controlled "start" is more than reasonable.
Anyway, there will be so much to learn that even just the RTS is enough: it is not just a matter of moving an asset with a script... the "intelligence" is in the algorithms and the way to control them... and here I am still not clear whether RL will let use create ad-hoc GUI... i.e. whether the API will enable run-time control or will be just scripts that will "statically" set up scenes & animations.

Cheers

Roberto

My PC:
OS: Windows 10 Pro English 64-bit / CPU: Intel i7-9700 3.6GHz / MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z390  RAM: 32GB DDR4 2.6GHz / HD: 2TB+3TB  /  
SSD: 2x512GB Samsung 860 EVO + 1x2TB Samsung
VB: Palit GTX2080 TI GamingPro 11GB / AB: embedded in the MB and VB (audio from the MOTU M4 I/F) / DirectX: 12

Edited
6 Years Ago by RobertoColombo
JIX
JIX
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.2K reputation)

Great news here. What a pity I do not have the time for iClone right now, but hopefully in future ...

Thanks for the roadmap!
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Interesting working with Unreal Engine and comparing to iClone.

In Unreal the UI is very zippy and fast, no matter how many objects are in there, whereas iClone slows very steadily as you increase.
In Unreal no matter how much you zoom in and out ion an object, there is no pixelation, or virtually none, like Realtime Smoothing is always applied. 
iClone gets pixelated when zooming around on different objects.  Unreal seems to handle Bloom and DOF very smoothly in all lighting environments, whereas iClone's brings in pixelation and artifacts.
There are so many parameters to tweak, and then each of these many parameters can themselves be tweaked into oblivion.  
So, the graphics and flow of the UI as far as speed and performance are superior to iClone.  This gives me a different perspective on those who have for long been asking for the foundational nuts and bolts of iClone to be updated, as opposed to bringing in new feature sets, workflows, and tools.  You really ask yourself, is iClone at its best potential, and for whatever reason, the answer has to be "no", because you can see a ton of things that if it had, OMG, would be insane.  There are a ton of enhancements that iClone could have in its real-time PBR engine for GI.  

BUTTTT...
OMG...Learning curve....Node Editor City. 
You are deal with things that in iClone would take 2 seconds, and in Unreal takes 2 minutes.  Changing a material around has like 5 steps, whereas in iClone you just adjust a slider.  The thing is, in Unreal you ultimately do just adjust a slider, but, it is buried inside a node system that is complex as hell.  If it wasn't for that I dealt with Octane Render and know its node system very well, I'd be completely lost.  But even knowing it you still feel lost because the UI is in fact very different.  The options, compared to iClone, can feel overwhelming too, because there are so many.  So, there is a time element with this thing, which is ironic that its UI is so powerful and fast.  When you see videos about Unreal, notice how they plod through the cumbersome UI.  You can mess around with all the sample projects you want, it still is complex.

This is where Iray becomes very attractive, auto-conversion.  Now, per my Daz experience, Iray is slow.
However, net equation - If properly functioning, very feasible that by bypassing the planning, thought, and organizing needed  to re-do the scene in Unreal, you could ultimately time-wise, by rendering in Iray, beat out moving a scene to Unreal Engine.

Which is weird, because it simultaneously makes you feel like, yes, iClone's inner structure needs to be optimized, but, at the same time, Iray will be a terrific and nifty asset in the equation. 
(I'm talking about average user of the software)
So, Iray is the fix for an un-optimized PBR. 
But I still want it!!!!w00t
NOW!!!!

SeanMac
SeanMac
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Hi Tony

Thanks for that.

Useful and interesting.

Can we persuade those who work with Unity to give a similar  appreciation vs iClone?
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

TonyDPrime (2/21/2018)
Interesting working with Unreal Engine and comparing to iClone.
../.. You really ask yourself, is iClone at its best potential, and for whatever reason, the answer has to be "no", because you can see a ton of things that if it had, OMG, would be insane.  There are a ton of enhancements that iClone could have in its real-time PBR engine for GI. 

We have discovered that 10 years ago at least. And we are still waiting for iClone to be on par with the level of quality of game engine renderers despite the recent important improvements. I'm glad you figured out though Wink

TonyDPrime (2/21/2018)
../..BUTTTT...
OMG...Learning curve....Node Editor City. 
You are deal with things that in iClone would take 2 seconds, and in Unreal takes 2 minutes.  Changing a material around has like 5 steps, whereas in iClone you just adjust a slider.  The thing is, in Unreal you ultimately do just adjust a slider, but, it is buried inside a node system that is complex as hell.  If it wasn't for that I dealt with Octane Render and know its node system very well, I'd be completely lost.  But even knowing it you still feel lost because the UI is in fact very different.The options, compared to iClone, can feel overwhelming too, because there are so many.  So, there is a time element with this thing, which is ironic that its UI is so powerful and fast.  When you see videos about Unreal, notice how they plod through the cumbersome UI.  You can mess around with all the sample projects you want, it still is complex.

You are overreacting here, I dont't see the Unreal UI complex, on the contrary, they made a lot of progresses recently. Using iClone Substance materials can be more complex than that with all the options. If you want something really complex try Houdini. But Unreal ? I mean if you stick to materials ? Are you kidding ? You said you know Octane nodal system very well. I don't see where Unreal would be more complex than that. Perhaps you are confused between the actual interfaces, and the number and actual purpose of each node but that something different. What's complex then is the rendering domain, not the Unreal UI or it's material system, but the knowledge it takes to master the proper usage of each node, which is completely different.

TonyDPrime (2/21/2018)
../..This is where Iray becomes very attractive, auto-conversion.  Now, per my Daz experience, Iray is slow.
However, net equation - If properly functioning, very feasible that by bypassing the planning, thought, and organizing needed  to re-do the scene in Unreal, you could ultimately time-wise, by rendering in Iray, beat out moving a scene to Unreal Engine../..

We could have auto-conversion with pretty much any renderer on the planet. Not an argument in favor of Iray itself.

TonyDPrime (2/21/2018)
../..Which is weird, because it simultaneously makes you feel like, yes, iClone's inner structure needs to be optimized, but, at the same time, Iray will be a terrific and nifty asset in the equation../..

For still imagery yes, of course. For animations, we will see..

--

Reading This Topic