Profile Picture

Best way to rig shoes

Posted By midnight.stories.ltd 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
midnight.stories.ltd
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (492 reputation)Senior Member (492 reputation)Senior Member (492 reputation)Senior Member (492 reputation)Senior Member (492 reputation)Senior Member (492 reputation)Senior Member (492 reputation)Senior Member (492 reputation)Senior Member (492 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I was just wondering what is the best procedure for rigging open shoes like sandals?
you have all the toe bones with separate weight maps so if you move a toe it rips the shoe apart.
I'm think you get rid of all the weight maps on the toes and make a single new one on the ToeBase bone.
What's your method?
Thanks

uncwee
uncwee
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (340 reputation)Senior Member (340 reputation)Senior Member (340 reputation)Senior Member (340 reputation)Senior Member (340 reputation)Senior Member (340 reputation)Senior Member (340 reputation)Senior Member (340 reputation)Senior Member (340 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
If your character has 2 separate mesh's.... Shoe and Toe.

2 separate skin weighting adjustments. required)
...one for the Shoe mesh.. the other for the Toe mesh.

(1st adjustment)
Assign ALL of the shoe vertices.... 100% to the (Foot Bone)
Now, the toe bones have no influence on the shoe.

(2nd Adjustment)
To make the shoe deform (For Walk, Runs).... (Where the Foot and Toe BEND)
Adjust the (Shoe & TOE) skin weights (where each toe joint BEGINS and the Foot bone ENDS).

Example: (Shoe Mesh)
Big Toe:
Select the vertices at the TOP of the Big Toe.
Assign them 50% weighting to the Big Toe bone.
Assign them 50% weighting to the FOOT bone.

Example: (TOE Mesh)
Big Toe:
Select the vertices at the TOP of the Big Toe.
Assign them 50% weighting to the Big Toe bone.
Assign them 50% weighting to the FOOT bone.

Now, when the Big Toe bends.... that portion of the shoe bends (Half Way between the foot and big toe bone).
THIS is what you want it to do.

REPEAT this for each toe bone.
...then the shoe bends properly as the character walks, run, etc.

Edited
6 Years Ago by uncwee
midnight.stories.ltd
midnight.stories.ltd
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (492 reputation)Senior Member (492 reputation)Senior Member (492 reputation)Senior Member (492 reputation)Senior Member (492 reputation)Senior Member (492 reputation)Senior Member (492 reputation)Senior Member (492 reputation)Senior Member (492 reputation)

Thanks this sound like a good strategy and thanks for the detail explanation.
We do something similar in DAZ Studio when doing shoes.
Cheers
Delerna
Delerna
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Yes, the process was explained well
Just a little extra comment in case you get some weird movement of the vertices between the toes based off how you animate them.
For example the big toe moves alone but none of the other toes move might cause the shoe meshing to move funny between the toes?

I might do something like merge the weight mapping between the toes so that as the vertices move away from one toe and close to
another the weight value gets lower that 50% until it gets to say 10% and as it gets closer to the other toe it increases until it gets to 50% at the center of that toe

Like this
---------------
shoe vertices      1      2      3       4       5         6         7        8       9    10       11     12
big toe                50   50     40     30     20      10
next toe                              10     20     30      40       50      40     30      20     10      
next toe                                                                               10     20      30     40      50
center                       toe                                           toe                                            toe              etc

center is showing where the center of each toe is. Also notice that the weight painting on all vertices add up to 50% and needs to be 50% because the weight painting for each of those vertices also have 50% on the foot

I don't normally do this with shoes, I normally just use the weight mapping that Blender does automatically without including the toes at all
I normally do this sort of thing with with meshes such as dresses so the vertices between the legs move better. I described how I do that here in the 9th post called weight painting the clothes
Maybe your circumstances might need something like this with shoes ?????

I do think this suggestion is going overboard for something like shoes
but I'm just adding this to give you some extra ideas. Whether you actually do it or not is something you will need to decide for yourself.

i7-3770 3.4GHz CPU 16 GB Ram   
GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Edited
6 Years Ago by Delerna
midnight.stories.ltd
midnight.stories.ltd
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Yes there is some more learning for me to do, as I come from DAZ Studio. I've used blender before but need to configure it more like maya navigation.
I have maya Lt and seem to be taking to that pretty quickly so I don't know all that is being said, but I do understand what you are saying. So I've just have to
decide what's going to suit me. Maya has been crashing constantly when doing weight maps on the feet and it's only that part where it has problems.
But found a work around where I have to change the weight map brush from interactive to post and it stopped crashing. So thanks for the advice guys !

Reading This Topic