Profile Picture

How do I get the mesh emitter to emit meshes in the right direction?

Posted By Kelleytoons 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

How do I get the mesh emitter to emit meshes in the right direction?

Author
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Sigh -- I REALLY need tutorials on this.  I'm using the mesh emitter, and no matter WHAT I try (and I do think I've tried everything) the emitted meshes come out laying on their sides.  I just want them to rotate correct side up, but nothing I can find seems to make any difference at all.

I'm sure this is dead solid simple -- someone PLEASE give me a clue.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Rogue Anime
Rogue Anime
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Kelly - Opening your mesh particle in the PopcornFX editor may help. Each of the nodes in your editor's 'Particle Tree View" has a specialized node editor. It is the same as the curve editor in iClone 7, only the axis' are switched, but you can edit on all 3 using the same principles we learned in the curve editor webinar last month, Here is a screenshot of the "Specialized Node (curve) Editor" located within your 'Particles Treeview' under 'nodes'. It looks like this when you open & un-dock it. Hope this helps. I'm still not getting the desired directional effect, but it's trial & error in that dept. so far...   ~V~ 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/b1e9656b-ff73-4549-ac7b-6316.png

Val RogueAnanda
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e82de505-c57a-40b9-8cb0-9f87.png

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Yeah, I appreciate the information, but there's no f**king way I'm going to open up the Popcorn Editor JUST to get the particles to rotate properly -- that should happen in iClone and, if not, it's a bug (and will be reported).

This shouldn't be this tough -- something is wonky somewhere.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Oh, and it's not JUST that, or perhaps I would make the effort -- I can't get the particles to bounce off an avatar to save my wife - or, indeed, to seem to react to almost anything (they don't even react to each other very well).  I'm sure these are just RTFM errors, except that we HAVE no manual on this stuff (or at least we need detailed tutorials on it).

It's frustrating because I wanted to make something for my daughter's birthday today and now there isn't a chance, even though all that was left was the particles.  But without them it's kind of pointless.  And, I know, I should have learned all this stuff WAY in advance of trying any such project, but I had kind of thought it was be much easier (I've used particle systems for decades now and this is the wonkiest one I've ever seen).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Rogue Anime
Rogue Anime
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Kelleytoons (1/12/2018)
This shouldn't be this tough -- something is wonky somewhere.

Agreed there. I have been able to re-direct some of the simpler particles, such as the open flames and such by just rotating the dummy, but they don't all work the same way, as I too, have noticed. The editor was the only way I could get any changes in some of them - so FAR - Open to suggestions also - Anyone? Crazy  ~V~

Val RogueAnanda
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e82de505-c57a-40b9-8cb0-9f87.png

wires
wires
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
The PopcornFX Editor can not open .ipkfx files, it can only open and edit .pkfx files and is therefore of no use for changing anything in an iClone file.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

illusionLAB
illusionLAB
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I don't have the Popcorn plugin, but my first instinct would be to change the direction of the "particle object's" pivot point.  I don't think you can do it in Xchange, so export to Blender or other and rotate the pivot so Y is up (or Z depending where it started).  To be safe I'd re-import to iClone with each X, Y and Z being up to determine what Popcorn likes.
wires
wires
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
illusionLAB (1/12/2018)
I don't have the Popcorn plugin, but my first instinct would be to change the direction of the "particle object's" pivot point.  I don't think you can do it in Xchange, so export to Blender or other and rotate the pivot so Y is up (or Z depending where it started).  To be safe I'd re-import to iClone with each X, Y and Z being up to determine what Popcorn likes.

The Reallusion Popcorn FX can not be exported to anything, they work only within iClone. As stated above, they can't even be adjusted using the Popcorn FX Editor.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

illusionLAB
illusionLAB
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I was referring to the "mesh" he's trying to emit (which I called the "particle object")... as the mesh has nothing to do with Popcorn, it seems logical that if the mesh was lying on it's side when emitted then changing it's pivot point before Popcorn gets a hold of it could yield different results.
toystorylab
toystorylab
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Kelleytoons (1/12/2018)
the emitted meshes come out laying on their sides.  I just want them to rotate correct side up, but nothing I can find seems to make any difference at all.

I am not sure what you want to achieve, and it depends on your mesh...
Did you try "particle settings/rotation", uncheck "forward to velocity". Depending on what you need, change rotation sliders...
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/b1662d80-386f-49da-857b-a4c9.png

Toystorylab on Vimeo : https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ce44ea78-6984-47d8-9bf4-b783.png    Crassitudes (my "Alter Ego") on Youtube: https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fcc4df30-b3a8-40a5-a427-0735.png

Edited
6 Years Ago by toystorylab

Reading This Topic