Profile Picture

Cannot get past this basic lighting issue I have. Tearing my hair out.

Posted By mgtow 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Cannot get past this basic lighting issue I have. Tearing my hair...

Author
mgtow
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (382 reputation)Senior Member (382 reputation)Senior Member (382 reputation)Senior Member (382 reputation)Senior Member (382 reputation)Senior Member (382 reputation)Senior Member (382 reputation)Senior Member (382 reputation)Senior Member (382 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I have read various posts and manuals about global illumination and light sources.  Regardless of what I do, my character's faces come out dark.   I plunked them into a bar setting prop, basically changed whatever lights existed to be white as opposed to their default darker shades... even replaced the lights, and still my character's faces are dark.  I moved the global illumination anchor, made the cubic area that it affects bigger, and even smaller, but no luck.   Do I literally have to put a spotlight in front of my characters.  There is a 'wall' where the  camera currently is, but I turned its visibility off.  Meanwhile the background is too bright (the direction of the KEY light is pointing towards the back wall, but alas, the character's are... you guessed it...   too dark.

I removed the majority of the props in the following screenshot.  The only thing left is the bar and the chairs they are sitting on.

Please forgive me if this is a noob question, but it is literally a roadblock for me.  I can place characters, do animations, etc.

PS:  If I start with a blank project, the characters are fine as far as light goes.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/cf2e69c2-bceb-48b1-a1df-7fb7.png
Kelleytoons
This post has been flagged as an answer
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
In general with this kind of problem you need to invoke the usual troubleshooting procedures.  First, remove ALL the lights from your scene (you can just turn them off as long as you are SURE you are turning them off).  Then go to IBL and turn IT off.  Turn off GI.  At that point it should be completely black (if not, you have something left on).

Now start with IBL.  Turn it back on but turn it completely down (to 0 or 1 -- I don't remember offhand if you can turn it to 0).  Slowly increase it as you notice what effect it has on your characters.  When you have it as you want it, turn it off.  Turn on GI -- do the same thing, start with it VERY low and bring it back up.  If you don't have any self-illuminating props in your scene (and your lights are turned off) it shouldn't have ANY effect with IBL off, but if it does something is wrong.

Finally, turn on one of your lights and play around with the settings as above.  Eventually with this process you will see what is happening in your scene.  If you still can't figure it out, post the scene here and someone can help.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
raxel_67
raxel_67
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
You should also check the Shadow strength values in the visual section and in each individual light, cause maybe the issue isnt the lights but the Shadow strenght
mgtow
mgtow
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (382 reputation)Senior Member (382 reputation)Senior Member (382 reputation)Senior Member (382 reputation)Senior Member (382 reputation)Senior Member (382 reputation)Senior Member (382 reputation)Senior Member (382 reputation)Senior Member (382 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Thank you for your reply.  It turned out I found a solution in an answer to one of your questions.  It wasn't global illumination that was the problem, but it was me using the Key light as my only real light in the scene.  I read in one of the answers to your post that key lighting was to be avoided in indoor scenes.

You would think that  reallusion would put something so basic in their manual, but nope.

Reading This Topic