Posted By Visitor 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Functionality of Trees and Substances - Production Issues

Author
Visitor
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (570 reputation)Veteran Member (570 reputation)Veteran Member (570 reputation)Veteran Member (570 reputation)Veteran Member (570 reputation)Veteran Member (570 reputation)Veteran Member (570 reputation)Veteran Member (570 reputation)Veteran Member (570 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Hello all.  I've noticed that the trees that ship with iClone are un-editable.  Is this the case with the trees you can buy in the store also?

I make trees and plants using Plant Factory at the moment, and would like to be able to use them in iClone.  I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be any way to do this given that the "wind" settings are only in the SpeedTree based in-app assets.  On top of this there is no placement tools outside of the built-in "gardening" tools on the SpeedTree plants.  Further, the "gardening" tool didn't place the plants properly upon the underlying mesh, and only placed them on the ground plane.  This is something that is forcing me further towards using iClone as a middle-step, and then finishing everything in Unreal.

I'd prefer to use iClone as much as possible as I am making artwork and not an interactive experience.  Another issue is the PopcornFX not being exportable to Unreal, as it stops me being able to set all that up in iClone and then shipping the entire scene over to Unreal for texturing and rendering.  Instead I'll need to find some workaround, which is unfortunate.  

One final point about the SpeedTree assets - they are un-editable, even with regards to their texturing and materials.  Those they come with are good, but it stops the user from being able to add variety to them with their own materials.  Are the materials on the purchasable trees editable?

Thanks. 
raxel_67
raxel_67
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
You can import any trees you want, but they won't behave like speedtrees (ie no wind or instanciation). And as far as  i know there is no way to edit the textures of trees, even the ones in the content store. 
raxel_67
raxel_67
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
And be sure to have the terrain (where you want to place them) set as terrain, this way iclone respects the shape of the mesh (99% of the time), for example a mountain. (only applicable to speedtrees)
Visitor
Visitor
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (570 reputation)Veteran Member (570 reputation)Veteran Member (570 reputation)Veteran Member (570 reputation)Veteran Member (570 reputation)Veteran Member (570 reputation)Veteran Member (570 reputation)Veteran Member (570 reputation)Veteran Member (570 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Thanks for the response Raxel.  It's a shame that they aren't editable, and that there's no real way of getting other trees to animate in-app, but at least I know how to properly paint on the SpeedTrees now Smile
toystorylab
toystorylab
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Visitor (1/5/2018)
but at least I know how to properly paint on the SpeedTrees now Smile

Hm, how would you do that?

Toystorylab on Vimeo : https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ce44ea78-6984-47d8-9bf4-b783.png    Crassitudes (my "Alter Ego") on Youtube: https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fcc4df30-b3a8-40a5-a427-0735.png

Reading This Topic