Profile Picture

Why do my PBR materials automatically revert to Traditional when I export characters?

Posted By modernstoryteller 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Why do my PBR materials automatically revert to Traditional when I...

Author
modernstoryteller
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I've been creating characters and setting their materials from Traditional to PBR. They look great in Character Creator 2 and iClone 7.
Then, as soon as I export to 3DXchange (for importing to Unreal engine), the materials automatically revert to Traditional: if I look at the materials panel in in 3DXChange it's showing Diffuse, Bump and Specular maps instead of Diffuse, Bump, Metallic and Roughness. The same thing happens when I export directly from iClone.
Am I missing something? Is there a workaround for this, or does the iClone suite prevent you from exporting characters with PBR materials for some reason?
Please help! :-/
modernstoryteller
modernstoryteller
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
NEvermind, I worked this out. 

For anyone with the same problem: you have to manually set up your PBR materials in Unreal. :-( Here's a video showing how:
https://www.reallusion.com/character-creator/export-3d-character.html
animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
The problem is that 3DXchange has not been updated (yet) to support PBR. We are trying to convince RL to do something about that (and make 3DX 64 bit).

I  believe the iClone export just piggybags on 3DXchange's FBx export capabilities. It's just that you don't have to call 3DXchange separately.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Reading This Topic