Profile Picture

How do we fix skin poking thru cloth in Iclone?

Posted By Jfrog 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Jfrog
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
In CC it is easy to fix this issue (skin poke thru the cloth while charcater is dancing). Is it possible to do this in Iclone? This is a G5 toon character.

Thank your for your help!

Ryzen R9 5950x, RTX 3090, 128Gb Ram ,2 x 2 TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD

Horror Stories in VR
Immersive Sound VR
Immersive Sound VR on Oculus TV

animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
I don't have iClone at hand to check, but I believe you can add collision shapes to the character and then apply Soft Cloth physics to the clothing.

You would need to add a gradient weight map with dark for the parts that are stationary (top of a skirt or dress, for example) and then lighter for the parts that need to move. It will require some experimenting, but it should work.

Another option is to use an Opacity map for the skin to make parts that poke-through invisible, but that's not so easy to do if they are close to the hem of a skirt or dress.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
7 Years Ago by animagic
kungphu
kungphu
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Another option is to use an Opacity map for the skin to make parts that poke-through invisible, but that's not so easy to do if they are close to the hem of a skirt or dress.

Perhaps it’s just because I’m lazy, but this is my preferred method. Works well and is EZ! You can also color the skin the same at the garment but that has mixed and sometimes crumby results.

My "NEWEST" LatestSmile  Movie Made With Amaaaazing iClone

—> High Noon”ish” in Narrow Valley<—

Jfrog
Jfrog
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)

Thanks both of you for the quick replies. I will try your suggestions. 

Horror Stories in VR
Immersive Sound VR

TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
Hi Jfrog, 
I was messing with this phenomenon recently, I will detail this because I hate this!
I found that with weight maps, you need to have the area be white where there is poke-thru, and a collision shape in place to counter that white.
If you have poke thru in the black/grey zone, it will not(black)/may not(grey) work, even with a collision shape in place, because the black suspends the soft cloth's ability to be affected by the collision shape.

Also, the weight map has to be specifically mapped over the clothing, it may require more than a simple be a general simple gradient 50% line, let's say.
I had a problem with a dress and it was so annoying, and I discovered that the UV map on the dress itself was not laid out perfectly, it was all over the place, some sideways, some on top of the UV map, some on bottom end of UV map.  Once I went in PS and mapped the weight per clothing piece, I had success.  (BTW - In the weight map area if you can't generate a UV map, make sure there is a material in the diffuse channel, and not blank with only a diffuse color.)

But once you have this part done, you really only need to experiment with the collision shape itself.  Now, with collision shapes, this also becomes daunting because the shapes have to match the part of the body (ie will look weird if a collision box on a waist or thigh, for example...).  So like Kungphu says, an opacity mapping to mask of the skin outright works better here in that it is easier and faster.  Only with this it is trial and error locating where you are targeting.
I really would love to see a CC-type interface that lets you, in some automated algorithmic way, target and eliminate softcloth poke-thru.  But for now it's a manual nightmare of a mess. 
But such is the way of 3D animation.  It is a blessing and a curse.  Crazy
Jfrog
Jfrog
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I tried a few different things but the easiest thing for me end up painting the diffuse map directly.  Basically I paint the skin body part the same color has my dress (white). This created a small white underwear under the dress which is great for a cartoon character. The character isn't naked anymore.

Thank you guys for all your inputs. 

Horror Stories in VR
Immersive Sound VR

Genursus
Genursus
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (786 reputation)Veteran Member (786 reputation)Veteran Member (786 reputation)Veteran Member (786 reputation)Veteran Member (786 reputation)Veteran Member (786 reputation)Veteran Member (786 reputation)Veteran Member (786 reputation)Veteran Member (786 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
You can also use the picker to select the exposed skin, then turn down the opacity (providing all the skin you'll be turning invisible is under the clothing).
Jfrog
Jfrog
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Unfortunately, my character is a G5 toon character so the legs were part of the lower pant which I painted in white (just the upper part).  This was the major reason for me to avoid using the opacity map. I also try to paint only small segment of the opacity map but I still had transparent holes pocking thru my dress.

Thank you. 

Horror Stories in VR
Immersive Sound VR

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago

@Tony,
That was a great response.  Thanks for the info.

I've struggled with this issue too, and usually hand-paint opacity (transparency) on my character in a couple spots, and/or play with the collision shapes.  I didn't think about digging into the actual UV map and the weight map.

This is one of those (many) things where it doesn't seem like we should have to struggle so much.  If we made our own clothing from scratch, then yes.  But if you apply a Reallusion-blessed outfit onto a Reallusion-blessed character, you think they would work without constant struggles.  Some seem fine, while others are total aggravation.

Thanks again for the additional tips and techniques.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

VirtualMedia
VirtualMedia
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Great thread, running with TonyD and Kungphu it would be a great feature for RL to add collision maps we could simply paint on for precision and convert to geometry / mesh if necessary. Would also be a great idea for a plugin for someone at that skill level.

Virtual Media® / VTV® / The Virtual Entertainment Network...
http://VTVLive.com
Edited
7 Years Ago by VirtualMedia

Reading This Topic