Profile Picture

Interested in clothing design? Check this out!

Posted By Rampa 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Rampa
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 hours ago
This looks pretty interesting from a clothing design point of view. It's only just getting off the ground now, but is a simpler to use concept for most people than Marvelous Designer.
https://artfulphysics.com

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Didn't you (or someone else) share this before?

While it looks... interesting... it also looks like a one-trick pony to me.  Which is to say only a certain type of clothing can really be patterned this way.  I'd also be curious as to the workflow for this to use for iClone (the workflow for getting hair into iClone almost killed me, and while I can do it now fairly easily I'm not at all confident I could master clothing -- this is particularly evident when I see what's offered in the marketplace, which rarely is of the quality of things that RL themselves provide.  If THOSE experts can't do it, I'm pretty sure someone like me can't either).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
illusionLAB
illusionLAB
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Looks like it could be brilliant!  A step in the right direction - honestly, I don't understand why MD hasn't figured out that every possible piece of clothing ever concocted could start from a 'template'... dressing people has some pretty standardized conventions (neck.torso, arms and legs... done!) ;-)
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
Just a tidbit -
I think for any non-clothing designers, the interesting piece of this is that it requires a Daz Genesis 3 model and is aimed at working in Daz Studio.  
Daz now, as of 4.10, has dForce simulated cloth, so maybe it will be interacting with this somehow, and that may mean that it will in some way shape or form bridge into 3DXchange, ultimately.
So you could have people designing clothes on ArtfulPhysics that make there way into iClone as a Softcloth, or product in the Marketplace.

I know for 100% certainty that KT is going to be creating some amazing clothing when this is all said and done! 
Prepare to be dazzled and amazed!  Laugh

SeanMac
SeanMac
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
illusionLAB (12/6/2017)
Looks like it could be brilliant!  A step in the right direction - honestly, I don't understand why MD hasn't figured out that every possible piece of clothing ever concocted could start from a 'template'... dressing people has some pretty standardized conventions (neck.torso, arms and legs... done!) ;-)

I don't think so, illusionLAB, with all due respect.

Most iCloners seem to be interested in only contemporary, modern themes. A few are interested in the kind of Fantasy Dark Ages you get in Lord of the Rings. But if you are interested - as I am - in say the 18th century with its wigs and breeches, or in the 19th century with its eccentric varieties of facial hair, or in the 15th century with the kind of clothes they wore under full plate armour being worn as 'smart casual' then Marvelous Designer is a must-buy.

I suggest that there is a heresy of history called 'presentism' about. This presentism is where people imagine that the past was very much like the present but just with fewer gadgets. This picture of the past turns out not to be the case.

Clothing encompasses a lot, a lot, of innovation and technology. The simplest clothes were rectangles taken straight off the loom and stitched and cut as little as possible, They were handed down through the family for decades, because they were extremely costly in work-hours and money to make. Yet they still constituted signals of wealth or poverty however low the average clothing was in terms of complexity, quality, colour and status.

I suggest the real kicker is fashion. Fashion happened in Western Europe but nowhere else in the world. People in, say, Japan, wore exactly the same cut of clothes for a thousand years.

We are all used to looking at Old Masters, great paintings of the Italian Renaissance. And looking at the rich, colourful robes the middle-aged or the old men wore, and the ballet tights that the young men wore. But it seldom occurs to us that what we are looking at is the top one percent of society.

95% pf people lived out in the country on farms all across Europe, They wore whatever the wife could rustle up, The urban poor wore work-clothes that looked like the tunics of Ancient Rome more than a thousand years before. Those ballet tights the rich young men had on were the equivalent of today's cap-turned-backwards to show you are ready for a fight. The tights indicated that you were ready to climb into plate armour, mount a horse and go into battle. Of course the likelihood was you wouldn't - it was just the fashion of the time. But if you are really going to imitate these conjoined hose that I have called tights you have to understand that they are not of a piece but jigsawed together to fit a single individual.

Not only that, but they were worn for about a year then sold. These guys treated clothes the same way we treat automobiles - you resell to part fund another one. And so it went. There was a guild organisation in 15th century Florence especially for second-hand clothes sellers. Obviously everybody could easily tell if you were wearing second-hand clothes,

Someone on the forums mentioned that a movie scene without extras is not a movie scene. People are astonishingly good at noticing little signals from the look and feel of a scene, The clothes and body language, I suggest, are a large part of what makes a viewer get drawn in and decide to keep watching. When I look at the movie scenes and the career clothing on the Content Store I can tell that they are dated. There are plenty of people around  who are much more observant than I am and they could probably tell you what continent and what year you are looking at.

So no. Dressing people does not have some pretty standardized conventions (neck.torso, arms and legs... done!)      ;-) or no ;-)

Regards

Home Built in Coolermaster ATX case with GigabyteGA-Z170X-GAMING 7 MoBo, i7-6700 @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GraphicsCard, 32Gb DDR4 RAM, an Acer CB241HQK  & a Samsung S24D300 monitor, Huion H610Pro Graphics Tablet, Kinect v2, Logitech C920 Webcam, Win 10 64 Bit OS

TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
I am not a 3D clothing designer.  How long, though, does it take to start from scratch in MarvDesigner to a finished product? 
I guess for like a full angle length dress, loose at bottom but tighter everywhere else with long sleeves, a V-neck line, let's say 1 colored fabric. a lighter colored pattern on the side, working from a 2D reference image.  
20 min, 1/2 hr, 1 hr, 5 hr.....?

And how long with a 4D reference image (L, W, H, Time), where you actually see the creation of the dress on a video, and then it hung on a mannequin...would a real life creation-counterpart reference help, or not.

SeanMac
SeanMac
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Hi Tony,

Thanks for that.

It doesn't take very long aty allonce you get slick and if you are willing to cheat a bit. You don't need mannequins MD lets you import with FBX so you can dress the CC avatar you have created.

If you take a look on Youtube for Lori Griffith you can get a very quick idea of the potential of the MD set up. They also have a content store you can check out and free trial periods.

Regards
SeanMac
vidi
vidi
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
That video above do not impress me really

I don't understand why MD hasn't figured out that every possible piece of clothing ever concocted could start from a 'template'..

I think  MD was made for serious Fashion Designer, that want creatoe its own pattern,   but in the meantime has MD also a clothes construction kit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

Edited
7 Years Ago by vidi
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Vidi,
Are you saying that MD comes with a clothes construction kit, or that you can make one?  The video you show seems to show how to make the various "blocks", and at the beginning it shows how someone is using them, but I don't quite get that MD HAS all those blocks.

I think I tried it once -- I downloaded a demo a couple of years ago and gave up, as sewing clothing was clearly not My Thing.  But the clothes that are made from MD look so much better than simply draping cloth as Rampa's first link shows -- it really makes a difference to have those tucks and darts that clothing makers put in to make things fit.  I'm just not sure I'm able to figure all that out, so dragging and dropping components seems to be at least a possibility.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
SeanMac
SeanMac
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I think  MD was made for serious Fashion Designer, that want creatoe its own pattern,   but in the meantime has MD also a clothes construction kit.

[/quote]
Hi Vidi thanks for that.
I thought that MD could be used for fashion design professionally also, but the company has another up-market program suite for that.

Lori explained for the likes of me what the difference is in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PGADNJEdeo

Marvelous Designer Doesn't Create Real-World Patterns

And she tried her hand in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsbfxAa4NfQ

An MD Test with Real Sewing Patterns

Regards

SEanMac

Reading This Topic