Subsurface Scattering For Skin

Posted By jasonjbrown 15 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
jasonjbrown
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
From Wikipedia:

[font=Times New Roman]Subsurface scattering is important in 3D computer graphics, being necessary for the realistic rendering of materials such as marble, skin, and milk.... This technique was pioneered in rendering faces in The Matrix Reloaded [4], but has recently fallen into the realm of real-time techniques.[/font]

link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsurface_scattering
Paumanok West
Paumanok West
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
jasonjbrown (12/14/2009)
From Wikipedia:

[font=Times New Roman]Subsurface scattering is important in 3D computer graphics, being necessary for the realistic rendering of materials such as marble, skin, and milk.... This technique was pioneered in rendering faces in The Matrix Reloaded [4], but has recently fallen into the realm of real-time techniques.[/font]

link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsurface_scattering

Hi jjb, I think there would be a mismatch between the visual sophistication of scattering and the hard choices RL made in order to make iClone a real-time movie machine. For example, iClone uses mid-density polygon models. My guess is that the skin scattering would be visually useless until you get to the kind of high-poly environment of DAZ and Poser.

General Picture - animating now to life itself(tm)
Member of Content Wizards
bradisdrab
bradisdrab
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
I disagree, SSS can be very useful even on mid-poly models. I would really love to see it in future materials, or even the ability to sacrifice real-time rendering to be able to go through other renderers, i.e. Renderman, Arnold, or something like Octane
http://www.fxguide.com/featured/octane-render-realtime-ray-tracing/
Dreamcube017
Dreamcube017
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Add two more S's to the beginning of that and you're good.

Oh hello Screen Spaced SubSurface Scattering...

WABAM!!
http://www.iryoku.com/screen-space-subsurface-scattering

Can we get this please?

Volumetric light shafts would be awesome too. I know that's probably going to be in iCl9one 6 though, but still.

----------------------------------------------------
***BEST OF THE CORE**
:A music reel demonstrating the different types of music I produce for multimedia. Hope everyone enjoys.

Player not working? Use this link.

My other audio work.

Facebook page:

Creation begins at the core.
JC Weatherby
JC Weatherby
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
The atmospheric tools do a lot, but it would be great to see what else we can squeeze out of it. Anything to improve the realism while maintaining performance would be great!

Reading This Topic