3DX "Can't find Material File"????

Posted By waleshire 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
waleshire
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I have an OBJ file that I'm trying to import and I'm getting an error message "Can't find Material File". How do I have that file but I don't know how to import it into 3DX.

Please help.

Wes
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Make sure you have material file and thea actual texture file(s) in the same directory as the OBJ. But it is also possible that the material file has the wrong path to the textures in it. n this case, you can manually add the textures by drag-&-drop or double-clicking the texture channels to load the textures.
Edited
7 Years Ago by Rampa
waleshire
waleshire
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)

Hello,

Thank you for the info but I'm still running into trouble. I have attached a picture of the OBJ in 3DX and a sample of what the actual file should be. https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4581b57e-5080-4503-a80b-8b29.pnghttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/407387af-8d80-47be-88bc-1d68.jpgHere is what I'm doing:

1. I drag my OBJ file into 3dx.
- Then I get a this following message: "The 3D model is too small. 3DXchange will resize and align again. The dummy figure automatically turns on for size reference.
2. I click "OK" and my file loads but without the actual color of the containers and the putty that is supposed to be inside the container isn't actually there. 

3. I try to click on the MTL file but my computer doesn't recognize this type of file to open it. 

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Also, I'm a beginner at this so thank you for your help.

animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
A MTL file is just a text file. You can open it in Notepad to view and edit it.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

waleshire
waleshire
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hello,

That's good to know. I thought it was a material file and assumed that was why my OBJ file wasn't showing the right material, textures and such. 

Reading This Topic