Profile Picture

WALTER PINHEAD'S CHRISTMAS PROJECT 2017 " Make Him Sing His Favourite Christmas Song."

Posted By Gerskey 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

WALTER PINHEAD'S CHRISTMAS PROJECT 2017 " Make Him Sing His Favourite...

Author
Tarampa Studios
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
... also, if you can find and load one of the horse motions that includes the sound of a whinney, and load that into 3DXchange with your avatar when you convert him to non-standard, then you should be able to pick up a few extra morphs for your visemes from that... it works sometimes for other quadrupeds that I've done. 

Also, looking at the RL Horse Spine, you can see he has 4 bones for his back legs, instead of 3... and with those arrangements, I usually find it's best to use the top bone (closest to hip) as the thigh, then (instead of skipping a bone), use bone 2 as the shin (even though it looks more like the thigh, it is angled to work better as a knee)... then the shin is the foot, and the ankle (fetlock) is the toe. 

Front legs (arms) are always the hardest. If you use his shoulder bones as his upper arms it can often give you more ranges of movement, but sometimes look a bit more toonish. 

And his neck... if you're going to have him standing up like a humanoid, even if it's only for leaning over a fence, then curving his neck over more, so his head looks forward properly seems to work the best (with most long-necked quadrupeds)

Anita, aka "Bleetz" the Toon Wrangler @ Tarampa Studios
SYS: Win 8.1,  64-bit, i7-4770 CPU @3.4GHz,  
32GB RAM, Intel(R)Graphics 4600 & nVIDIA GTX1060 TI 

Skuzzlebutt
Skuzzlebutt
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)

I just did this for fun,
it isn't a xmas song, but it could be

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Re: Music interfering with visemes...

My biggest iClone project involved a lot of singing.

I used the the actual speech recording option in iClone, and tried to speak in time with the singing.  I didn't bother to sing; I merely spoke at the correct rate, and "held a note" the appropriate duration.  (Boy did that sound awkward.  Blush  But you gotta do what you gotta do.)  Sometimes the results were okay, sometimes not so good, but it was a start.  Even in the best cases, I did a lot of manual viseme editing.

I got reasonably proficient at making the adjustments (in my opinion), but due to the length of my project, and a deadline, I did not get all the songs fixed as well as I wanted to (and a couple were left in a very raw state - ouch),  But it was satisfying work.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
7 Years Ago by justaviking
colour
colour
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Bleetz (11/10/2017)
Re: visemes for horse avatars... I've never done the RL free horse before, but it's certainly possible to set him up as a singer because he seems to have plenty of good mouth movement.

EDIT: Animagic beat me to replying, so I hadn't seen the spine until then, but this is exactly how the spines were for each of the horses below... I had to set up morphs and extra bones in other software to get the lip and jaw movements for the horses in the first 2 videos below... and the 3rd vid is an example of how it looks just using the method that Animagic mentioned (and I also explain below)

RE: Spine set-up... 
e.g. Here is another horse avatar which is supposed to be hyper realistic, even moreso than the RL horse (but I gave him a facial morph make-over to look a bit more toonish). This avatar has the most complicated bone structure I've ever come across - it literally has 2 complete skeletons inside it, so I haven't quite conquered it yet for the flapping mane and tail in the wind, but this short vid was just an early test of 3 styles of skeleton set-up in 3DX5 to check if the mouth and major body bones are working okay after manually setting up most of the visemes in Expression editor... - which is also why you may notice some differences in how the shoulders and hooves rotate using the same motion on each of the 3 horses... it can be a bit tricky trying to figure out which bones should be the shoulders and hands (especially in quadrupeds where their back legs aren't supposed to bend in the same direction as human knees, so the rotation of bones in 3DX can also be a bit fiddly)

Note: horses are a bit tricky to set up as a humanoid beside another character in a scene because they are just so tall. But it can be faked by sizing him down to about 1/2 to 3/4s and he'll still "look" as if he's the same size as he was as a quadruped in a previous scene, or even if you stand him up in the same scene... e.g. here is a quick test with a 1/2 size horse as a humanoid; 

I'm pretty sure the RL horse has a really easy skeleton for setting up the mouth, but even if he only opens and closes, with no additional jaw or lip motions, it's still possible to make the impression of singing. e.g. the toonish horses below have only very basic open/close and a small degree of rotational jaw (before teeth and tongue start to pop out), so in the video below I only use them as backing singers so viewers aren't really watching their mouths too closely... 

RE Music interfering with visemes. I avoid this problem in the videos by loading the music onto a prop in the scene. (I used to use the biggest or first prop in the scene list so it was always easy to find if I had to go back to the file many months later), but nowadays, I just load a primitive "plus" sign, switch it to dummy, change opacity to zero, so it's totally out of view (in the older versions of iClone... while iC7 all dummies switch automatically to zero) and re-name it "Music" so it's always easy to find and edit. 

Then the visemes for each character can be done by either;
a) adding an expression and manually adjusting the visemes for that...
    where copy-paste (or control-drag)  makes it easy for repeating choruses or words...
    and saving each new custom "expression" if you need to load it onto another character in the scene (must be the same spine e.g. Mrs Dobbie). 

OR BEST AND EASIEST: 
b) using the tts to type in the lyrics (or copy-paste them from a word document), and sliding the volume down to zero before clicking ok to add it to the scene...

Note: I get really accurate visemes if - instead of using text-to-speech- I record my own voice, and load that BUTTT, then we can't just render out the video with song, because the dummy voice track can also be heard... (unless there is a way to adjust volume in the timeline that I haven't found yet)... so doing it this way means loading all the voices and sound into the iC project (knowing it will sound like a mess), then rendering, loading it into an editor, deleting the whole sound track and then reloading just the music with pro singers. 

These tips work really well in iC5 and 6.
But sadly, manual viseme adjustments are much harder in iC7, I think, because the voice tracks can no longer be edited/broken/split/control-dragged... or if they can, it's faulty in mine.

Many thanks for the detailed Tut, Bleetz (& Job & Dennis)
I only want to Map Facial Animation, Dobbin will behave like Horse apart from that. However, it's worth knowing. But I need to start with with Dobbin T Pose, then map human body bones, before I get the green light to proceed further. for facial animation. have all iC5 & 3DX5 Tuts on My HDD.

I'm only a casual iC5 user these days, but appreciate your very detailed Tut.

Love the last clip. Have you posted it in showcase your work?

BTW, If a Song has 2 tracks, vocal & music, those can be separated in Goldwave/Audacity, into 2 audio files.

Cheers
Pete

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REALLUSION FORUM ANNUAL PINHEAD COMMUNITY PROJECTS.

New Pinhead Website & Project to be announced in September 2015

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tarampa Studios
Tarampa Studios
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)

@ Pete RE: Love the last clip. Have you posted it in showcase your work?

Nah, these were really just quick and dirty motion tests while I was first learning how to set up spines for Quadrupeds in 3DX so they could function as either quadrupeds or humanoids (the t-pose is the same by the way)...
So these videos are normally switched to private on my secondary channel for friends-eyes only, while my commercial showcase of toons that have been sold in one way or another are over on my youtube channel for Tarampa Studios
But they're nearly all rendered in iC5 because I need vns files for the current series I sold to my government, and I'm committed to producing those until May.  (Sneak a peek here). 

So I'm never sure what to post in the "showcase your work" forum now that everyone else has moved on to iC7. 
RL did a feature blog post on me in June this year, but that was still working in iC5 and 6, and since then I haven't done much that would interest anybody with iC7, 
so I post all my current screenshots/tests on my facebook page until I can upgrade officially to iC7. 

Edited
7 Years Ago by Bleetz
animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Bleetz (11/11/2017)
So I'm never sure what to post in the "showcase your work" forum now that everyone else has moved on to iC7. 

It doesn't really matter what version of iClone you use. If you are satisfied with the work and are ready to show it, then just show it. Not everyone does/likes Facebook, so the Showcase section would be better.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
7 Years Ago by animagic
Tarampa Studios
Tarampa Studios
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Ok great. I'll keep that in mind.
I'm just over half-way animating my version of his "Favourite Christmas Song" haha... 

Is there a deadline for this one..? 

animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Bleetz (11/12/2017)
Is there a deadline for this one..? 

Before Christmas??? Tongue

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

colour
colour
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Decided on an iC1.5 & AnimationFactory combo remake; "Up On The Rooftop Ho Ho Ho.", I did years-ago

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9b3218ff-5e3d-4fbc-a5ff-8bed.jpg

REALLUSION FORUM ANNUAL PINHEAD COMMUNITY PROJECTS.

New Pinhead Website & Project to be announced in September 2015

Edited
7 Years Ago by colour
Tarampa Studios
Tarampa Studios
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Well, I've got all my scenes set up and animated in time with the music -
I chose Jingle Bells, but with new lyrics in a kind of ballad about stealing Santa's Sleigh (which may or may not be based on a true story. I'm not confessing to anything publicly, LOL)

I chose an iC5 version of Walter too, but I added a facial morph for him in iC5 so he can puff up his cheeks and smile like Santa, and so his beard can morph and grow on camera when the magic happens. 

But I've run into a bit of a delay, because I tried using the Microsoft David Voice, but it really doesn't work well for singing - unless I speed him up to chipmunk... and I can't find any friends or family who can sing my new lyrics as Walter without laughing.
They don't really seem that funny to me, but apparently they ring a bit too true for anybody who knows me and how the ballad really happened... you know... assuming it did... I'm still not confessing. 

So I put out a call on my facebook page for any friends in my wider circles who were proper male singers.
My local radio station saw my post, announced it on air, and now I've got 3 guys for "auditions" and a radio station who has volunteered to record it for me. 

Ah, the rabbit holes we can fall into, LOL. 
But I'm still not confessing.  Hehe
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/62e5b943-c417-4a16-bd20-38cc.png
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9a16a359-729b-4247-afd4-dc5d.jpg
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fcfa16c0-4d26-4174-846b-dd82.png
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/15a730cf-fc49-4826-af41-9e1e.png
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/834a7826-c74b-4a34-8e42-5bd6.jpg

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1baff27e-2766-4eec-9b46-8e32.jpg

Ho-Ho-Ho!

Edited