Editing the Facial Mocap results

Posted By Kelleytoons 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
So somehow I can't find any tutorial where 3DTest shows how to edit the FW results, even though I did see him do this (so very quickly I have no idea how he did it, except that Face Key was involved somehow) in the webinar Tuesday.

Because the Phonemes no longer influence the FW capture results you can't just edit them (they can be used for lips, of course) but how do I adjust the face afterwards?  My character does fine except for one point he really needs to pop his "p"s <g>.  I just don't see how to edit this and I'm pretty sure it has to be easy (if you guys are going to tell me I need to collect the clip and THEN edit it I'll be embarrassed, because that just occurred to me now).

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

uic
animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
The way I understood it is that he uses the Modify tab of FaceKey, where you can change the mouth shape, open/close the mouth and the jaw etc. Obviously, you need to know what adjustments to make.

And yes, you would need to have the facial Mocap clip first, of course, which would be an Expression track (I guess).

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
7 Years Ago by animagic
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Well, I did see him go to modify, but first he was in just the basic muscle tab and I could have sworn I saw him move things just there (but I can't).

I'll play around with it some more and see what works, but I wish he had spent a little more time on it (I can go back and look now that the webinar is posted, but if I missed it the first time I suspect I'll miss it again :>Wink.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Jfrog
Jfrog
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I checked all tutorials and haven't found anything on facial mocap editing yet.  Just some quick overviews...

Ryzen R9 5950x, RTX 3090, 128Gb Ram ,2 x 2 TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD

Horror Stories in VR
Immersive Sound VR
Immersive Sound VR on Oculus TV

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

After playing with it a bit I suspect Ani is right, that it's in the modify tab, but I DID see 3DTest do something in the muscle tab, and I could have sworn he was editing with it somehow.  I'll go back and scrub through the webinar again to see if this old brain was just mistaken.

I'm not about to do a LOT of editing, but in the video I made this morning just that one "P" sound would have been good to have done.  The level of animation I'm going to create doesn't really need precision, and the stuff coming out of the FW raw is probably good enough for 97% of all I want.  It's that damn 3% I need to understand how to fix <g>.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Jfrog
Jfrog
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
and the stuff coming out of the FW raw is probably good enough for 97% of all I want.  It's that damn 3% I need to understand how to fix.

I agree that the raw capture isn't perfect but it's so great to have a fast way to bring character to life.  The biggest problem I have is when recording in larger Iclone session (25,000 frames for example). The character facial motions become jerky. When playing back, most of them are ok but it is a bit annoying when you have an actor checking is face on the TV monitor and the facials are jerky . 
It 's also time consuming to double check the recorded motion between each take.   This only happens in the Iclone's viewer window, not in the Faceware application windows.  

This is a cheaper solution so it's not perfect yet, but still really good.

Ryzen R9 5950x, RTX 3090, 128Gb Ram ,2 x 2 TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD

Horror Stories in VR
Immersive Sound VR
Immersive Sound VR on Oculus TV

animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Kelleytoons (10/22/2017)
After playing with it a bit I suspect Ani is right, that it's in the modify tab, but I DID see 3DTest do something in the muscle tab, and I could have sworn he was editing with it somehow.  I'll go back and scrub through the webinar again to see if this old brain was just mistaken.

I'm not about to do a LOT of editing, but in the video I made this morning just that one "P" sound would have been good to have done.  The level of animation I'm going to create doesn't really need precision, and the stuff coming out of the FW raw is probably good enough for 97% of all I want.  It's that damn 3% I need to understand how to fix <g>.

Now you mention it, you're right, he did use the Muscle tab. It's basically the same thing and in older versions of iClone that's all we had. As he has been doing this for a long time, it's probably what he is used to. We now have a fancier interface with the Modify tab, and I would think that it would be much easier to control the mouth that way.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Reading This Topic