Simply cannot get a usable frame rate.

Posted By Geoffrey James 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Hmmm, I see what you are saying, but I guess it didn't bother me at all, since I felt like FW was processing the video correctly.

OR, to put it another way, when I was using a PNG sequence into FW it did EXACTLY the same thing (which is to say, it played in a "frame by frame" manner that wasn't smooth at all).  I just assumed that was fine as long as the tracking held (and my tracking experiments with Manycam have seemed fine).

So I dunno -- for the last week or so I've been exclusively using my webcam as my own workflow is mostly going to be that (only when I have remote talent will I be using a video).  It doesn't worry me much, but it's something to consider.  As I told Rampa initially, these virtual webcams are hard to find and almost impossible to find free (even Manycam isn't "free", although the freeware version will work for our purposes.  However, maybe the paid version is better -- I just ain't gonna pay to find out).

I still think the best solution is for FW to work with a video sequence, even if it needs to be resampled down.  I know there was that talk originally (even FW told me that, as the first thing they told me a few months ago was it DID work with video -- and then someone on their Facebook page corrected it to be "we're working on it").  A sequence is clumsy and kind of silly anyway.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
There are two places that you must set to 60FPS in Manycam. I believe KT covered it, but you need to set your video option in the "settings", as well as selecting 60 on the main screen.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/59350ee3-20a5-450a-a0d2-7f91.jpg
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
Rampa (10/12/2017)
There are two places that you must set to 60FPS in Manycam. I believe KT covered it, but you need to set your video option in the "settings", as well as selecting 60 on the main screen.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/59350ee3-20a5-450a-a0d2-7f91.jpg

First - Thanks Rampa and KT.  

@Rampa, I did see that as well, there are 2 locations.  If you try changing one, you will see if it affects the other, they both control the same thing.  It's like one is a shortcut of the other.  (They're not 2 separate FPS controls, like an input or output.)  Effectively, you do not need to set both.  Just 2 locations for the same thing.

You know how you can see the 'effect' more easily, is to look at your recorded video in an external media player.  Next, load into ManyCam and watch, starting at 5 FPS.  Then incrementally move it up by +5 (...5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30....).  In my case, the output gets visually capped at 15.  It never gets smoother than what 15 FPS gives.  So you never match the full FPS of the video (at 30 or 60 recorded FPS), if it were to be played through an external media player. 
I think ManyCam caps this preemptively to allow for its effects to be placed on a streamed video, without a visual degradation/slow-down, as it is processed.  (It's like putting your iPhone's volume down to 2 of 10, then connecting that through external speakers, which are cranked at 10.  If you play music you never hit max volume, but you can market it as being output at a max volume of 10....)
What is interesting to note is that this lower "visual-stream FPS" is what is transferred and tracked by FW as it tracks ManyCam real-time.  It's like FW tracks the visual-stream FPS, not the listed setting FPS.
In any event, I agree, in the end it does work and gives good results.  The most crucial thing as well is that it allows audio sync. 
But, since a PNG file is tracked for each frame, @60 FPS a video transferred to PNG file would then be superior in resolution to a visual stream from ManyCam @15 FPS.
So, I am curious what would happen if ManyCam would visually stream at a rate of 60 FPS to FW, real-time.  Would it improve then end result?  You know, maybe it wouldn't!!!  Laugh
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)

@theschemer - With regard to the C922x, and completely independent of ManyCam discussion, perhaps the 60 FPS is not being met because there is insufficient lighting?
You may think there is, but perhaps not.  You could try this - bring as much light as you can into the room and see if it pushes it over a threshold where the FPS goes up.  It should.  If no matter how much light you flood into your room nothing changes and it can't go > 30 FPS, then it is capped for some other reason.  One thing you can do to test is to turn the webcam towards a flashlight or some bright phone screen, and see what happens to the FPS.  Remember, the low-light compensation has to be off.  

*I have to make a correction too.  Earlier I stated I got 60 FPS while at 1080p, this is not true.  The only setting that gives me the option to use 60 FPS is 1280x720 (MJPG), and I can only get 60 FPS when using this specific setting. 
theschemer
theschemer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
TonyDPrime (10/12/2017)
@theschemer - With regard to the C922x, and completely independent of ManyCam discussion, perhaps the 60 FPS is not being met because there is insufficient lighting?
You may think there is, but perhaps not.  You could try this - bring as much light as you can into the room and see if it pushes it over a threshold where the FPS goes up.  It should.  If no matter how much light you flood into your room nothing changes and it can't go > 30 FPS, then it is capped for some other reason.  One thing you can do to test is to turn the webcam towards a flashlight or some bright phone screen, and see what happens to the FPS.  Remember, the low-light compensation has to be off.  

*I have to make a correction too.  Earlier I stated I got 60 FPS while at 1080p, this is not true.  The only setting that gives me the option to use 60 FPS is 1280x720 (MJPG), and I can only get 60 FPS when using this specific setting. 

Tony,
  I have tried adding 2 lights to my desk and aim then at my face from 2 sides with ceiling light in off/on position. Window shade open/closed, door behind me open/closed. My wife holding a solid colored blanket behind me to maybe change the background of a bookshelf with various objects on it. No matter what I do, I cannot get the settings window to say anything except "unavailable" for changing the resolution and it defaults at 64 x 480. Can you change your lighting (for the worse) and duplicate that the resolution drop down under settings changes to "unavailable"?
Thanks

Edited
7 Years Ago by theschemer
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

I wouldn't chase that rabbit hole, Schemer.  Tony may not have looked closely at those screenshots you posted, which show the problem isn't lighting but a fundamental problem with Faceware itself (which I assume Brian is trying to help you with).

I still think it's going to come down to either a driver, your OS, or the core FW software (perhaps it doesn't work properly with Win 7).  But I will bet you a dollar it has nothing to do with the 922x (which is about the best webcam you can use -- it's SO forgiving that I'm amazed I get 60fps easily with almost no light in my room).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
martin.s
martin.s
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (432 reputation)Senior Member (432 reputation)Senior Member (432 reputation)Senior Member (432 reputation)Senior Member (432 reputation)Senior Member (432 reputation)Senior Member (432 reputation)Senior Member (432 reputation)Senior Member (432 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
For the record I'm using win 7x64 with the c922 and no problems getting 60fps at 720p on either usb2 or usb3 ports
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

That's good to know, Martin.

Something is screwy with Schemer's setup then.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
theschemer
theschemer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Good to know that it works fine with Win7. I haven't tried re-installing the Faceware app yet but need to ask Brian if I need to deactivate my license etc first. I am going to shine a flashlight into my camera now for a test. I shined the light into the camera and still have no resolution options and the FPS went as high as 30 but I have had it there before. It is always temporary and normally is about 15 fps. And another thing to mention is the glare from my monitor makes  the tracking not connect due to the reflection from my reading glasses. I take them off and the tracking connects but the same problems remain. I have a set of glare reduced computer glasses on the way though. And in low light the tracking actually works better, if that means anything.

Edited
7 Years Ago by theschemer
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@theschemer

Try this test, see what FPS you get:
https://www.onlinemictest.com/webcam-test/

The options in the Faceware dialogue do not get grayed out or become unavailable if the lighting is insufficient for tracking.  It just has a difficult flickery-time giving me the green face trackers.
You see options on the C922x get grayed out?

Reading This Topic