Profile Picture

DAZ3d Scene (building/props) to iClone workflow?

Posted By Renaissance Man Studios 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
gcshep
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago

Hi vbrabble I have put together a short tutorial on how to convert to props in DAZ hope you might find this of some help.

Link for DAZ Covert download.
http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/nodes/convert_figure_to_props/start

Best Regards

George

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Nice that you took the time to do this, but I would point out two things:

1) You can actually use the bone-rigged prop in iClone and sometimes it's far better to do so.  Once you've brought it in you can animate the various parts by going to the Modify/Animations tab and choose Edit Animation Layer.  This will allow you to choose each bone and animate it, moving the props accordingly.

2) If you are dead set on not doing it this way, you often only have to export as OBJ.  This removes all the figure rigging and *most* of the time will give you access to the separate props (just make them sub-props).

There are some occasions on which this won't work, in which case your tutorial is fine.

Alienware Aurora R7, Win 10, i7-8700k, 4.7GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, GTX Titan XP (12GB), Samsung 960 Pro 2TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Edited
3 Years Ago by Kelleytoons
gcshep
gcshep
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago

The aim of the tutorial was to show how to convert props your two points are valid but not on this occasion. 

Renaissance Man Studios
Renaissance Man Studios
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (800 reputation)Veteran Member (800 reputation)Veteran Member (800 reputation)Veteran Member (800 reputation)Veteran Member (800 reputation)Veteran Member (800 reputation)Veteran Member (800 reputation)Veteran Member (800 reputation)Veteran Member (800 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Thanks for the comments everyone.  
I just purchased Decimator from DAZ3d for $20.29 USD out the door (see below). I do have an RC membership and I used a $6 USD coupon.
This product has been sitting at $100 USD for a while.
Hopefully, this is a useful tip.
Best,
VBhttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ba5edbed-661a-4111-8622-080e.png
Jfrog
Jfrog
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Yeah!  I bought decimator today too.  I also subscribed to the annual membership because with all the stuff I bought , the cost of the membership was just an extra $35.   

Intel I7 6850K 3.6 with MSI X99 SLI plus , GTX 1080,  32Gb Ram , 1 TB Samsung Pro M.2 SSD
vidi
vidi
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (24.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.5K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
Keep in mind a decimator can only decimate the count of Polygons , but hard surface Modells like a House are many single welded Object, that can not decimate

eg a Wall can be only a single Face or a roof is made of many 4 sides cube .

A Cube that is made of 4 Polygons can
not reduce anymore* *thats is  Mathematically   impossible ,  outerwise you destroy it  of course .

Therefore a decimator is the right Choise for subdivision Modells , but a poor solution for Hardsurface Models like Building stuff

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi
http://vididoll.de/1grafik/promoforum.png

Jfrog
Jfrog
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)

Thanks Vidi.  This is great information! 

Intel I7 6850K 3.6 with MSI X99 SLI plus , GTX 1080,  32Gb Ram , 1 TB Samsung Pro M.2 SSD
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Yes.  As a very general rule, I almost never have problems with polygon count (although I have Decimator I've never used it) but rather with textures.  For props faces aren't an issue (iClone can easily handle a million faces or more and without taking up much memory at all) -- I'm guessing that a character is what you need Decimator for.

For props the big issue is textures.  Most of the modern Daz stuff comes in with 4K textures, and not only diffuse but normal/bump, reflection and metallic maps.  Those add up quickly, and about 70% of the time the prop won't load into XChange (run out of memory).  In those cases I resample the textures using PS (there's an automated script that does this easily) and then reload the prop back into Daz and export out again.  Someone here said that Daz has a similar way of reducing textures but I don't know enough about Daz to know how to do that, nor do I particularly care since I can do it myself (and I really only care about iClone).

Now -- I'm loading major environments and big props.  Smaller things don't need this, as a rule.

Alienware Aurora R7, Win 10, i7-8700k, 4.7GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, GTX Titan XP (12GB), Samsung 960 Pro 2TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Edited
3 Years Ago by Kelleytoons
vidi
This post has been flagged as an answer
vidi
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (24.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (24.5K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
DAZ has a great  Texturatlas tool  , that is a EZ Button that store all the huge Textures to one single sheet ,with a finger tip

Therefore People which  have not PS, no worry, that great function is allready  included in DAZ for free.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi
http://vididoll.de/1grafik/promoforum.png

Jfrog
Jfrog
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thank again for the tips Vidi and Kellytoons.  Exporting from DAZ to Iclone can be a bit challenging sometime and It's great to learn from experienced users.  For example I bought two new 3d models. They are named "system 46" and "system 50 for Genesis 3 female".  Those androids half robot and half human always split into 2 characters when imported in 3Dxchange. The motions can be applied on the human part but the robot part always stay on a t pose. Like the mesh (robot part) is not properly rig to the human part...Perhaps those models needs a little more work to make them compatible with Iclone.

Reading This Topic