Profile Picture

Tracking FPS really low!

Posted By jairo.assis 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
jairo.assis
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (255 reputation)Senior Member (255 reputation)Senior Member (255 reputation)Senior Member (255 reputation)Senior Member (255 reputation)Senior Member (255 reputation)Senior Member (255 reputation)Senior Member (255 reputation)Senior Member (255 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Hey guys, I am evaluating the Faceware Realtime plugin for iClone for my company, and even though I am getting around 60 FPS from my webcam, the Tracking FPS is stuck between 12 - 19 FPS. I believe this might be the reason why I am not able to get good mouth movement on my test character. Has anyone been able to get higher tracking FPS? Thanks! Smile

My rig's specs are:

Intel i7-5820k
64GB of DDR4 RAM
512 SSD Drive
NVidia GTX 1080

Edited
7 Years Ago by jairo.assis
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
First of all, try turning Optimization on.  This will reduce the resolution to 640x320, which is plenty (if you can do it at your netcam all the better).  I believe it's Control-O to do this without going to the menu, but you can find this on the menu as well.

If that doesn't increase your tracking rates them I'm a little stumped -- I can routinely get 60-65fps without even trying.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
jairo.assis
jairo.assis
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (255 reputation)Senior Member (255 reputation)Senior Member (255 reputation)Senior Member (255 reputation)Senior Member (255 reputation)Senior Member (255 reputation)Senior Member (255 reputation)Senior Member (255 reputation)Senior Member (255 reputation)

Hi Kellytoons, thanks for the reply. I did some more testing and I do get around 60 FPS when the Faceware Realtime for Icone launches. But after around 4 minutes the frame rates start to drop. I've been running this for about 10 mins and it is now at 20 FPS. After I restarted the plugin it was at 60 FPS. I tried activating the optimization, but after a while, the frames still dropped down to 20 FPS. Could this plugin have some kind of memory leak? If you leave yours running does the FPS start dropping after a while? Thanks! Smile
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 4 minutes ago
The video feeding into it may make a difference. It seems that standard definition is enough, in most cases anyway. The optimization conversion may be effecting the rate. If you use vertical video, you might be able to go with 240 by 320 if your face fills the whole screen.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Four minutes is a long time -- because if I DO use the webcam I'm going to record mode I wouldn't leave it like this.  Let me try for a second in preview mode...

Okay, I just tried it for five or six minutes, with 60+ for all those minutes.  Now, remember that you will need to recalibrate from time to time (the demo recommends at least every minute or so).  The calibration will slowly drift off if you don't (the head up and down). so perhaps that's one of your problems.  Try hitting the recalibrate at least once every two minutes and see if that doesn't help.

If it doesn't -- either your computer ain't so good (I'm doing on this on a really old computer that, although a quad i7, was bought about four years ago which is ancient in terms of computers.  It also only has 16gb of core memory).    Do remember, though, that even the best computers need to be running *nothing* else (although I was running Chrome and my email server in the background -- nothing else).

Or perhaps the demo is just hosed.  Can't comment there.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Since Rampa wrote while I was typing, let me state I'm using the Logitech 922x, at 1270x1080 or so (can't remember what the other resolution is).  The Logitech is known to be one of the best webcam for this purpose (still have to turn off the low-light compensation every time I use this -- haven't figured a way to keep that as the default).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
jairo.assis
jairo.assis
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Ok, so I think the problem might be with my WebCam. The problem was happening when I originally tested with my Logitech Brio webcam. So I tested it again with my older 1080p logitech webcam for 20 mins, and to my surprise the FPS did not drop. It maintained a steady 30 FPS (that is the max this old webcam can do). So I am thinking that it might be that it just doesn't like my Brio. I don't know why it would have a problem with the newer WebCam though. It's not like I tried to capture the video at 4k. All of my tests were at 640x480 with both webcams. Who knows!... Anyway, thanks for your input guys! BigGrin
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

The Brio has actually gotten some pretty bad reviews.  But before you give up on it -- make sure you have turned low-light compensation off (you can find this in the Logitech Gaming Software for your webcam -- it is NOT in the Logitech Webcam software, confusingly enough).  This usually helps a LOT!  (And if it does help you, make sure you let others here know).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Strombilder
Strombilder
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (250 reputation)Senior Member (250 reputation)Senior Member (250 reputation)Senior Member (250 reputation)Senior Member (250 reputation)Senior Member (250 reputation)Senior Member (250 reputation)Senior Member (250 reputation)Senior Member (250 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Thanks for the hint, it really helped me. I have a Logitech 922 and it appeared to work just by plugging it in, but the frame rate in Faceware was limited to 30 fps. After reading your post, I downloaded and installed the 2 pieces of Software, chose the recommended settings -- and things look much better now. Setting the flicker suppression frequency from the default 60 Hz to the 50 hz we have here in Germany may have helped, too (image looks more stable now).

Thanks again,
Soeren

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Glad I could help.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Reading This Topic