Suitable Laptops?

Posted By SeanMac 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
SeanMac
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Is anyone out there using a laptop that behaves in a satisfactory fashion while under load for Reallusion products?

I am thinking of laptop webcams and the ability to run Real-Time rendering, demonstrations etc.

What specifications are needed? Are you using a laptop that works OK?

My concerns are mainly the Nvidia chips used in high-end laptops are only 1050 or 1060 rather than higher. I wonder whether these are good enough.

Home Built in Coolermaster ATX case with GigabyteGA-Z170X-GAMING 7 MoBo, i7-6700 @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus GeForce GTX 970 Graphics Card, 32GbDDR4 RAM, 4K & HD monitors, Huion H610 Pro Graphics Tablet, Kinect v2, Logitech920 Webcam, Win 10 64 Bit OS

Edited
7 Years Ago by SeanMac
paulg625
paulg625
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
First there are laptops with the 1060, 1070, 1080.  You will pay the price for these systems. Check out Origin (PC and Laptop), they build  custom gaming towers and laptops. Before I decided to build a tower. I was looking at having them build me a laptop. Then decided I could get way more bang from my buck building a home system. With that said I still need a good laptop to go portable just don't need to build a beast of a laptop just a nice beefy one.  I like Origin because it is very customize-able. You could build a system which could compete with a serious high-end tower system.  Dual  GTX1080  8g cards, 64g memory, dual m2 HDs, and up to 4 internal HD's  now all those bells and whistles would cost up to 10K.  This is the beauty of the Origin system they let you spec and get only what you want to get. Were as with Alien Wear they push you down a few main lines with no other choices. Their Top end Laptop starts at just over 2K and seriously you cam spec one up to 10K+.

So check them out when it comes to high end laptops they were pretty impressive especially on customizing.
Edited
7 Years Ago by paulg625
SeanMac
SeanMac
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Hi Paul,
Thanks for that have never used Nvidia 1050 or 1060 with RL or Adobe or Autodesk products. If demonstrating Faceware Plug-In I wondered about the built-in webcams these high-end laptops might have. Like you I stayed with the desktop and tower solution for creative work. But I'd need a forklift truck to make this lot portable.

I was looking for anyone with a laptop camera and Nvidia 10xx that was running the plug-in to tell me about it.

That said, I'll certainly take a look at Origin, but you'll realise, I trust, that without experience of the cameraa and 1050/1060 I cannot evaluate what is needed and what would merely be good to have.

Home Built in Coolermaster ATX case with GigabyteGA-Z170X-GAMING 7 MoBo, i7-6700 @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus GeForce GTX 970 Graphics Card, 32GbDDR4 RAM, 4K & HD monitors, Huion H610 Pro Graphics Tablet, Kinect v2, Logitech920 Webcam, Win 10 64 Bit OS

paulg625
paulg625
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hey Sean,
No can't give you the needed information regarding the camera. Even on a high end laptop this might be a place they skimp it typically not being an important aspect of game play.  I understand the forklift aspect LOL. I live in the country and dust is a problem in my system. I have to lug the heavy beast outside every few months to blow it out. Luckily the case I chose has nice big handles down the length of the top.

No can't give direct feedback on the Video card, can only go on the basis of it being a Nvidia  and the normal compatibility of these cards. For me when I get a laptop it will be more for extending my back work prepping models and scene work. I want to go helmet cam for facial recording. 

Hopefully someone can give you the needed feedback with actually usage of the 1060...
SeanMac
SeanMac
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hey Paul

Cheers for that.

Here in Liverpool, UK, dust is no a problem. I have fitted my tower with water-wings.

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
You will definitely need at least a 1060 card -- that was what I did when I got my MSI laptop, the smallest and most portable of all such laptops to have high end graphics cards.  They are gaming computers, and this one happens to be very portable (not all are).  It's actually smaller than my previous Dell laptop (which is a beast).

I don't think the webcam would be *awful* but I agree with Paul in that they will tend to scrimp.  I guess I could try recording something with it to see if it will work with Faceware (I don't have my Faceware on it but on my desktop, but I can bring a video over there to test) but only if MSI is something you are interested in.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
SeanMac
SeanMac
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hi Kelley
I enjoyed your tutorial.

Thanks for that.

You surprise me with the non-install on laptop. I thought I could install two copies of RL products - not so?

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

You can't with the Faceware plugin -- remember, this is FACEWARE we are talking about (big $$$).  They ain't gonna let you have two live servers without paying for it.

But, as I said, if you're interesting enough I'll be glad to record a test video with my MSI webcam and try it out here on my desktop.  That will essentially act in the same way (which is to say it will test the quality of using the webcam for facial mocap).  I'm pretty sure it won't do 60fps but it ought to handle 30 just fine (but that alone should make you decide NOT to use a laptop's webcam).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
SeanMac
SeanMac
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

HiKelley

Thanksfor that.

I suggest it is not a case of whether or not I myself am interested enough, but rather whether the community of users and stakeholders might find it useful. Consider, for instance, that we all, as users, have a vested interest in RL making a lot of money and doing well. That will result in better software for us and cheaper software for us.

The only way that Faceware shares in the money is by people actually seeing this software in action as part of a workflow that is quick, efficient and compelling viewing. The place where this happens is in clubs and exhibitions, events like Siggraph but often on a very much smaller scale.

By and large I suggest that this means laptops rather than desktops. If the weak link of the software is its need for excellent webcams that kills the demonstration business stone dead. Now maybe you can clip on a Logitech 920 or 922 and use that. I don’t know. My old laptop – seldom used – cannot even cope with iClone7 let alone the Faceware plug-in. Time to replace.

Now it seems to me, and I hope to others, that enabling us, we, the users, to demonstrate the Faceware Plug-in on a laptop is very much in the interests of Faceware. This is free advertising from unpaid sales staff who know a lot more than most sales staff know about these products.

At the same time a laptop is really not a good basis for using creativity software unless you have a masochistic urge to fry your thighs. We are not looking for a freebie. This is in the financial interest of all of the stakeholders including the laptop manufacturers who with this increased emphasis on quality of webcams would have a new string to their bows.

Edited
7 Years Ago by SeanMac
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I assume, Sean, that you are reacting to me saying it can only run on one machine (although what I was actually saying, when I said if you were interested enough, was whether you wanted me to try out the webcam on my own laptop to give you an idea how well it might perform with Faceware if YOU were interested in the MSI laptop).

But if I read you right, I do agree with you it would have been nice if the Faceware plugin could operate on two machines so that we could have used it on a laptop, even if not for demo purposes but just to get some work done in the field.  But Faceware isn't about to allow that, and I don't think iClone has any leeway in this.  With modern things working the way they do, they could even check to see if you had more than one copy of the server running at the same time, so that you could only use it on one machine at a time, but not even this is possible.  But I suspected this would be the case as soon as I knew it was Faceware, so it didn't surprise me (which is why I was glad I could use remote video with the plugin, because there is no way I can do this stuff in my home studio with the talent I have available).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Reading This Topic