Profile Picture

Would sculpting on a base character imported to Mudbox mess up the rigg?

Posted By AasmundSchei 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Would sculpting on a base character imported to Mudbox mess up the...

Author
AasmundSchei
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Mudbox actually detects the Reallusion bones perfectly fine. I need to sculpt a spesific shape on the head that I cannot get out of CharacterCreator.
So Im wondering if sculpting on a base character imported to Mudbox mess up the rigg? Or will it import back to iClone just fine?

Desktop
: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Formula - 16GB ram - i7 7700K Kaby Lake @ 4.2ghz - ASUS GeForce ROG 1080 8GB Strix advanced - M.2 NVMe: Samsung 960 500GB - Windows 10 home

AasmundSchei
AasmundSchei
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)

Update: Sending from mudbox to Maya seems to work, but when I tried to send the character as a new scene in Maya the bones from Mudbox didnt follow.

Desktop
: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Formula - 16GB ram - i7 7700K Kaby Lake @ 4.2ghz - ASUS GeForce ROG 1080 8GB Strix advanced - M.2 NVMe: Samsung 960 500GB - Windows 10 home

mtakerkart
mtakerkart
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Last Active: 12 hours ago
If you change the polygon number it will not work. You can only move the polygon when sculpting.
animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 13 hours ago
Easiest I think is to create a morph, which doesn't require bones. Export as OBJ, sculpt, and then re-import as morph (it will ask for the generated key file), which will create a slider.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

AasmundSchei
AasmundSchei
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Yesterday I finally learned how to create blendshapes with the shape editor in Maya. Heres a little tutorial for those who dont know how to:
1. In the sculpting tools area click the shape editor button
2. Then click on the CharacterCreator character
3. Click the _ncl1_7 slider and click "Create Blend Shape" button in the shape editor window to the right
4. From there you can add blendshapes or click on the "CC_Base_Body1" that let you use the sculpting tools in Maya on your character which you imported from CharacterCreator
5. Pro tip: Be sure to check the "Weight/Drivers" slider to see how the changes behave when you sculpting on the character, so you dont get unexpected results

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9d2707ef-5266-4b74-88ab-843e.png

Animagic:
Are you saying that I can create my own morphs in Maya with the shape editor for CharacterCreator? Is that how the Morph Creator is used?

Desktop

Edited
7 Years Ago by aasmund22
but0fc0ursee
but0fc0ursee
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
You can create BlendShapes.... Great News. Smile

Want to use an awesome reference to practice creating BlendShapes?
~ Load a CC char and (Clone / Copy) the head.
~ (Cloned Head)... select the "Morpher" modifier.... the morph / BlendShape (Panel) is visible.

Reallusion has provided 70 or so amazing morph / blendshapes targets.
Tip: Learn to "sculpt" the "Mouth_Plosive" morph.
~ (Cloned Head)....Raise the (Mouth_Plosive) morph value to 100.... you have an awesome reference to practice with.
....you learn this one.... everything else will be a piece of cakeCool

Edited
7 Years Ago by but0fc0ursee
AasmundSchei
AasmundSchei
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I missed one step which is fixed in my previous post:

"You have to click the _ncl1_7 slider and click "Create Blend Shape" before you can sculpt on a imported CharacterCreator character.

ButOfC0ursee, can I create my own head morphs for use in CharacterCreator with this? Will CharacterCreator automaticly detect the new morph if I bake it with the morph creator from Reallusion?

Desktop

but0fc0ursee
but0fc0ursee
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
aasmund22 (9/19/2017)
ButOfC0ursee, can I create my own head morphs for use in CharacterCreator with this? Will CharacterCreator automaticly detect the new morph if I bake it with the morph creator from Reallusion?

How it works:
~ All morphs / blendshapes derive from a base mesh.
~ Morphs / Blendshapes are recognized via "Morph Modifier."

Example:
An iClone avatar (With Morphs) is skinned to a skeleton, (RL Bones)
The mesh has the following modifiers (On It).....
TOP of the Stack... Downward:
~ Skin Modifier
~ Morpher Modifier
~ Edit Mesh Modifier

When this character is exported using the (fbx) format....
The "Morph Modifier" transfers your morph / blendshapes.

The only way for your morphs / blendshapes to NOT appear will be due to...
~ Parsing Restrictions
...meaning if RL does not allow this to show.... it's Blocked.
If it shows.... you're good to go.

I don't like unexpected surprises. 
~ I re-skin all characters to "My Custom Rig."
~ I  SkinWrap Reallusion's awesome facial Morphs. Wow
~ I create custom morphs (Unique Persona)
~ I add all morphs "To" the morpher modifier.
This always export to Game Engines and 3d animated movie software.... flawlessly.Smile

Edited
7 Years Ago by but0fc0ursee
animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

aasmund22: I have to do some shopping now, but then I'll explain my very simplistic way of doing things.

animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I don't have Maya, which I'm sure gives you many more possibilities, so I'm restricted to using a simple sculpting program. I use Argile 2, which is no longer available, but any sculpting program will do.

The idea is to export a character from CC as OBJ file using File ==> Export to obj [Nude Character]. The export will also create a key file you will need later.

Now you import this file in a sculpting program and sculpt your changes and save. For example, if you want to change the head you would only sculpt that part and leave the rest alone.

Back in CC, select Create ==> Morph Slider. This will open a dialog where you can import the modified obj file and the key file.

The result will be a slider in the CC interface to adjust the contribution of the morph. 

Edited
7 Years Ago by animagic

Reading This Topic