Forearm Roll and twisted wrists

Posted By Dragonskunk 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Dragonskunk
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
If I import a rig with Forearmroll bones will they be recognized and used in FBX to work like those on the G6 rig?
If not, for those who import rigs what do they use to prevent the wrist from squeeze twisting when you want your character to have palms facing up.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f0d5a6aa-f907-4e06-b7ab-3cc3.jpg
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I created a mapped out avatar for keyframing,   I was creating some kung fu motions from images,  and I kept running into scenarios with incorrectly twisted limbs that came back to haunt me later in the motion -  over time the limbs drift slightly off every time you move them,  especially with complex kung fu moves that extremely contort the body.   You only see the drift after about 1 hour of extensive keyframing. -  that's when you see the gizmo go off center.

After I mapped out the avatar,  i was able to cut down on errors by not over twisting any one limb,   so for example,  when I want the palm facing up,  I twist from the shoulder a little,  then a little from the forearm,  then lastly the wrists.

Think of it like this,  it's not so much that your wrists are squeeze twisting,  as much as you are placing too much twist on solely the wrist,  look at your own palms go up naturally -  it's not just your wrists that turn. -  since iclone doesn't carry over the twist,  it's easy to move the character unnaturally....if you focus on how the body naturally moves,  it will go smoother and not break the mesh, as the ik chain is adjusted to a natural setting with the mesh. ( as opposed to robotic which is also a style where parts turn in sections )

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d1bafbef-eb39-4e25-b28a-5480.png

Edited
7 Years Ago by planetstardragon
but0fc0ursee
but0fc0ursee
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Dragonskunk (9/16/2017)
If I import a rig with Forearmroll bones will they be recognized and used in FBX to work like those on the G6 rig?
If not, for those who import rigs what do they use to prevent the wrist from squeeze twisting when you want your character to have palms facing up.

Hello Dragonskunk,

Reallusion gives a place to "Map" roll boness.
..just click the appropriate bone and map it.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/beaff066-3ee6-4ec1-a48f-ab9c.png

but0fc0ursee
but0fc0ursee
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)

Dragonskunk (9/16/2017)

Hello Dragonskunk,

Reallusion supplys a place to "Map" roll / twist bones. Rolleyes

Now your mesh won't collapse upon itself.
Hope This Helps. Smile

Edited
7 Years Ago by but0fc0ursee
Dragonskunk
Dragonskunk
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
but0fc0ursee (9/17/2017)
Dragonskunk (9/16/2017)

Hello Dragonskunk,

Reallusion supplys a place to "Map" roll / twist bones. Rolleyes

Now your mesh won't collapse upon itself.
Hope This Helps. Smile

Oh! So that's what those are for!
Thanks!

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f0d5a6aa-f907-4e06-b7ab-3cc3.jpg
but0fc0ursee
but0fc0ursee
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Dragonskunk (9/17/2017)
Oh! So that's what those are for! Thanks!
Wink

Reading This Topic