Profile Picture

3DXChange 7 & PBR / Substance Material Export from iClone 7?

Posted By johnb4467 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

3DXChange 7 & PBR / Substance Material Export from iClone 7?

Author
johnb4467
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Hi all,

I've been really excited about iClone and it's PBR & Substance capabilities. I've setup a scene mostly how I want it to be, but whether I export it directly out of iClone 7 (FBX) or send it off to 3DXchange, it seems like it loses all the PBR materials / maps. All I seem to be left with is a couple of them (diffuse, etc). 
Does 3DXchange not support PBR at all (I don't see PBR maps available), and can iClone 7 not export the scenes with those maps / setup? 

I'm also curious, on a side note, if Substances must be baked before exporting -- it doesn't really seem to work fully either way...but I might as well ask. Smile

Really excited about the possibilities!

Thank you,

John
Grimwolf
Grimwolf
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I'm having the same problem. I'm using PBR properly in Character Creator 2 and iClone 7, but everything converts to legacy Diffuse/Specular materials inside of 3DXchange 7.
In fact, as far as I can tell, 3DXchange 7 appears to wholly unsupport PBR. I see no options for it inside of the material settings.
wires
wires
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
3DXchange is a Dinosaur from the days of Windows XP, it is still 32 Bit and can't do anything with any item having PBR textures. This situation is a constant cause for complaints by a large number of users over the years. 

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

stuwhit
stuwhit
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (606 reputation)Veteran Member (606 reputation)Veteran Member (606 reputation)Veteran Member (606 reputation)Veteran Member (606 reputation)Veteran Member (606 reputation)Veteran Member (606 reputation)Veteran Member (606 reputation)Veteran Member (606 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Hi, if you export as FBX, this does not support PBR materials, you'll find it wont embed textures directly to Roughness or Metallic etc.. You'll have to reassign the textures to those slots yourself. I've tried it with unreal and a character, lots of textures to assign. Smile

Grimwolf
Grimwolf
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)Senior Member (307 reputation)

stuwhit (12/12/2017)
Hi, if you export as FBX, this does not support PBR materials, you'll find it wont embed textures directly to Roughness or Metallic etc.. You'll have to reassign the textures to those slots yourself. I've tried it with unreal and a character, lots of textures to assign. Smile

That’s another problem; I can’t believe there’s no option to atlas the materials together like Daz. It’ll take forever to do that by hand. The character I’m working on now has like 17 materials.
Edited
7 Years Ago by grimwolf.7
robzero
robzero
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)

It's does take forever, and I've only been successful once.  I haven't been able to generate any AO maps to plug on all but one Character.  The one looks pretty good though.  Hoping to find the solution.
robzero
robzero
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)

I found this post helpful to fix most of the PBR AO problem.  Wish the materials transferred without all the ruckus.  Maybe in an update would be amazing!

https://forum.reallusion.com/366742/Possible-to-generate-Ambient-Occlusion-maps-from-CC-20?Keywords=AO%20maps

Haven't figured out the hair thing yet. Still only once.  Also, too bad the FXB doesn't carry over the Audio with the animation..  I don't know how to make that work yet.  Hopefully in time it will.

Reading This Topic