Newbie FBX question 93DXcjange)

Posted By Geoffrey James 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Geoffrey James
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I bought a pricey (for me) .fbx model; it's just a piece of furniture, not a character.. I've imported .fbx in the past with no problem.  This time, though, I'm not getting the textures when I import into 3DXchange. I've spent about an hour trying different things, but I can't figure out how to do what is probably something quite simple. I can see the texture file in the folder (it's a .jpg) and I tried renaming it to xxxx.fbm where xxxx.fbx is the fbx file.  Any suggestions are welcome.

Geoffrey James
Intel Core i9-9980XE 18 Cores @ 4.5GHz, 128GB @ 3000MHZ, 2 NVIDIA® TITAN RTX, 512GB SSD, 2TB SSD, 10TB HDD, 1200 Watt PS, Viewsonic 43" 4K. 
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
A couple clarification questions...
1) Are you saying the jpg file is a *separate* file?  Or did you inspect the inside of the fbx file?  I want to be sure we're talking about the same thing when you say "folder."
2) You received it as a fbm file, and you renamed it to fbx?  Or the other way around?

I'm wondering if possibly you need to apply the jpg file after you get the "geometry" into iClone by dropping it onto the appropriate texture channel (such as "Diffuse").  Did you get only one jpg?

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago

D'oh!
The dreaded "double-post-entry" problem.  I've managed to avoid it for quite a while, but it got me this time.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
7 Years Ago by justaviking
paulg625
paulg625
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
The .jpg file is an image file. Don't change the extension type it will be unreadable. As Justaviking said it might be easier to drop the images onto the object inside Iclone then resave it. all the different maps should be their. usually named based on parts. Sometimes a single image will cover many different parts of a model as the UV will have many different pieces of the model on it.  

gj_20140318100407764 (9/12/2017)
I bought a pricey (for me) .fbx model; it's just a piece of furniture, not a character.. I've imported .fbx in the past with no problem.  This time, though, I'm not getting the textures when I import into 3DXchange. I've spent about an hour trying different things, but I can't figure out how to do what is probably something quite simple. I can see the texture file in the folder (it's a .jpg) and I tried renaming it to xxxx.fbm where xxxx.fbx is the fbx file.  Any suggestions are welcome.

Reading This Topic