Changing Hair Color in CC or iClone 7

Posted By SagaStudios 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
SagaStudios
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I am trying to figure out how to change the color of character's hair i created in Character Creator.  I watched the tutorial on Character Creator and of course they skip the hair.  I tried to find it in documentation and couldn't find it there either.  Found a post on changing hair but that was related to the very first version of iClone and of course the UI doesn't match at all.  So I can't figure out to change it in either Character Creator or iClone 7.  Any help would be awesome.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
There's lots of ways of doing it, but the easiest for me is just to right click twice on the diffuse color map, which brings up a nice little window that you can adjust just about anything you want (works in both CC and iClone).

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
raxel_67
raxel_67
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Or you can select the hair in CC and load the appereance editor and then you can change the color of the hair Just like with clothing which i assume the tutorial didn't skip that part
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago

Follow the numbers....
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/322990c6-7f47-43ce-99cd-7ad7.jpg

Or if you want to get more sophisticated, like painting in streaks and highlights, click the "Launch" icon in Step #4 (one icon to the right of the "Adjust Color" icon).  That can be configured to launch Photoshop if you own it, or GIMP (free!) if you have that installed.

Have fun.  Smile

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

SagaStudios
SagaStudios
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

I want to thank you for your help and I tried to follow your example but was unable to.  I have a before picture and after.  When I tried to apply any of the new stuff nothing happened at all but created some weird red thing under the hair.  So I am not sure what happened.https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/aff1d3da-d9ac-44af-957c-8c06.pnghttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/68f17ea6-8a5e-445d-ae45-e082.png
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Look at what you've selected -- you selected the scalp (which in general you don't need to recolor).  Just select the hair pieces themselves (on the right, under material name, select long_straight).

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
SagaStudios
SagaStudios
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Oh duh I see now.  Bare with me I am still trying to learn the UI.  So I figured out how to bring up the color wheel or slide in this example.  Is there a way to enter hex color codes?  I can't seem to find a way to do that.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

You can launch your photo editor (by clicking the launch button down below the texture settings) and in there you can do whatever you might want, but entering hex values really won't do you any good, as you are "coloring" the existing hair (which is to say that any color values you put on that hair are mostly just changes to whatever color is there to begin with).  In a photo editor (that "launch") in order to really get a precise color you'll need to first remove all the color there and then add it back in (Photoshop Replace Color might serve well) but you will need to be careful as the highlights (the way the hair is shaded) have a lot to do with how realistic looking it is (In PS your best bet might be colorize but, again, I doubt whether you can get a precise color tone as whatever color you use will be shaded by those highlights).

Hair color is something not to get too anal about.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
jack.ellison
jack.ellison
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
is the appearance editor only available when the product is purchased??  I am just trialing CC and the editor gives me nothing like the tuturials.

Reading This Topic