Auxiliary Lighting for Characters in Dark Scenes

Posted By WarLord 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
WarLord
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
I'm getting this question more and more it seems since iClone 7 came out. This cheat will help shed light on a dark character in a GI lit scene without ruining the scene lighting. 

Retired Digital Freelancer, Author, and Die Hard Animator No Longer Under Adult Supervision.
Doing what I want to do... instead of what someone else's script forces me to do.
Writer and reviewer at Reallusion Magazine

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
I appreciate the tutorial but I don't have those emissive panels in my dropdown (all I have for light is the three standard ones).

What gives?  Something wrong with my iClone 7?  (And I don't even have those options in, ahem, the *newer* versions of 7, if you get my drift).

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
WarLord
WarLord
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)

I have no idea why you don't have them. It appears they are just GI enabled primitives so any flat surface could be one. Might want to fill out a support request. Might be hardware dependent or something. When I get time I need to go back and annotate the video to show this. Will save a lot of time. Thanks!

Retired Digital Freelancer, Author, and Die Hard Animator No Longer Under Adult Supervision.
Doing what I want to do... instead of what someone else's script forces me to do.

Edited
7 Years Ago by WarLord
wires
wires
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: 13 hours ago
Great tip Mike, thank you very much for taking the time to demonstrate it. CoolSmileSmooooth

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Okay, now that I've got my menu items fixed I had a chance to test this.  Can you comment, Mike, on one thing?

I linked my emissive surface to the root, and just selected "Position" only (rather than position and rotation) and when I do this I don't need to adjust the surface at all (like you were doing) because it then doesn't rotate up and down and hit the floor.  Is this something I just got lucky on (IOW, will this not usually work)?  I'm not sure how the surface could aim at the floor as long as the character wasn't moving their bone root up and down (like if they were crouching and then raising up, although it didn't look like they were doing that in your example).

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
WarLord
WarLord
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

You're right. Used to be linking to the root stopped all motion but that is no longer the case. Motion is still transferred from the root position so what you are doing IS much better. I had gotten so used to hooking to the root that I stopped using the tick boxes. 

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Oh, okay.  Good to know -- I'm still trying to get my head around the basics here.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Reading This Topic