Faceware versus Facerig

Posted By Jfrog 7 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Jfrog
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 days ago
Since Faceware will be 4 times the price list of Facerig, I guess Faceware will be much better.  We also know that Facerig does not integrate directly into Iclone but does integrate directly with the perception neutron. I believe quality should be the main concern, but for those on a tighter budget,  any other reason to buy Faceware instead of Facerig? 

Ryzen R9 5950x, RTX 3090, 128Gb Ram ,2 x 2 TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD

Horror Stories in VR
Immersive Sound VR
Immersive Sound VR on Oculus TV

animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
From what I've read you would need Facerig Studio, which only supports characters according to certain specifications, in the same way the CC characters have been tailored to Faceware.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
7 Years Ago by animagic
illusionLAB
illusionLAB
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I have been watching FaceRig with interest too... if the standalone price is $299, I'm sure an integrated version with Reallusion could do even better.  I'm not a Python guy, but my understanding is that a 'fixed system' to another 'fixed system' makes for a quite straightforward translation.  Just for fun, I opened the FaceRig sample FBX in 3Dxchange and it populated all the points into geometry - it made a rather lumpy face, but the 'head movement' and 'jaw movements' were all moving as expected.  Personally, I don't need face capture for my iClone tasks... but if it was $200 I wouldn't think twice.

check this video out... yes, it's a raccoon, so it's difficult to judge how 'good' the capture is... but from what I'm seeing it would probably be good enough for most of us - I've never seen face or body capture that doesn't need 'massaging'.
https://vimeo.com/225289295
kungphu
kungphu
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I was underwhelmed by the facial mocap until the end when the presenter made a few expressions. Those were great! On the avatar it looked pretty funny (in a good way). Very expressive! If this can be incorporated into iclone it could be a cheaper facial mocap option if the FW plug is outside of buyers price points. Nice find on the vid!

My "NEWEST" LatestSmile  Movie Made With Amaaaazing iClone

—> High Noon”ish” in Narrow Valley<—

animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
John Martin in the interview did not exclude interfacing with other Mocap solutions, although nothing specific was mentioned. But he emphasized the open architecture of iClone 7, which made it all possible.

I assume that if RL and Facerig people got to talk to each other, things may happen. And maybe they do already talk to each other. But it will take time.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Jfrog
Jfrog
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: 7 days ago
"From what I've read you would need Facerig Studio, which only supports characters according to certain specifications, in the same way the CC characters have been tailored to Faceware."

This is a BIG advantage for Faceware over Facerig. For the best capture you want to use your custom character for instant feedbacks.  But on a tight budget things can always be done different ways. For example you could capture the facials with a Facerig character, export it in FBX (included in the studio version)and use 3dxchange (for those who have it of course) to export the facial motion to Iclone Isn't it? For those who have the neuron perception you could record all motions at the same times.  The software has retargeting, a curve editor and may be use with the motion leap which is great.

Here's another video:

Facerig Video

Ryzen R9 5950x, RTX 3090, 128Gb Ram ,2 x 2 TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD

Horror Stories in VR
Immersive Sound VR
Immersive Sound VR on Oculus TV

but0fc0ursee
but0fc0ursee
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Animating a toe or Lip.... is accomplished the same way... Bone Transform.
The animation curves appear the same.... x,y,z Transform tracks.

These facial mocap programs (Tailor) it to fit this or that...
But...

I'm sincerely grateful that the markerless facial mocap I purchase "Required ME to map the bones using a Curve Editor."
It was scary at first, but with practice.. it's a piece of cake.

Today.... all you need is any apps facial animation data....
Map the bones in a curve editor.

FaceRig is a Gold Mine.

Use Blender and its curve editor.. and your set!Smile

Edited
7 Years Ago by but0fc0ursee
freerange
freerange
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Looks like the studio version supports realtime streaming so should be able to integrate it via python. You will need to retarget the data, but it is doable. All 3D facial capture is doing is driving blendshapes and/or bones.

Xsens and Faceware are integrated via python, pretty much the point of the Python/QT integration is easy third party integration and a way to make a UI for it. 

That said when you see iClones Faceware implementation and the live filtering and control you have and it is a one click setup you have to weigh labor time vs software cost. Labor is usually a lot more expensive than the software. 

I think Reallusion will be happy to see users writing integrations for them and selling them in the marketplace. 

Free Range
My IMDB

Reading This Topic