[NEWS!] SIGGRAPH 2017 - FACEWARE UPDATE

Posted By Joe (RL) 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Okay, thanks -- (whoever answered on your FB page got it wrong, then, because I specifically asked about that and they specifically said "video OR sequence")

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Kelleytoons (8/9/2017)
Okay, thanks -- (whoever answered on your FB page got it wrong, then, because I specifically asked about that and they specifically said "video OR sequence")

Hi KT...

Video support may possibly come in the future but the version I'm using can only use camera input or sequence images.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

I downloaded the FW demo a couple months ago. To use a pre-recorded video, I found a virtual webcam application. There are actually quite a few if you google it.
LP_movies/tvs
LP_movies/tvs
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
pater do you know when pricing will be know for just faceware well be  so I can save up before the deal goes so I don't miss the lowest prices 
freerange
freerange
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Actually that is Hao Li who made FaceShift which was Faceware's only real competitor at their price point. Faceshift was bought by Apple. 

The research project you are seeing here is already existing, as part of his USC research. They are just productizing it now. 

I would love to see what other single image solutions you have seen that are much better than this. Especially as this handles occlusion tracking and generated a fully rigged and accurate performant head from a single image that matched the user.

Kelleytoons (8/8/2017)
Swoop,

It's cute, but as someone who has been around for many, many decades, I will believe this when it is available.  I cannot tell you how many companies, software AND hardware, that ended up as vaporware.  This thing isn't even in beta yet (you can sign up for the beta if you want) let alone how much it will cost, or even if it will be usable in some kind of engine like iClone (right now their target is Unity).

If the company and software is still around a year from now I'll be a believer -- again, I've seen things MUCH better than this never see any commercial release, so we'll have to see what happens (if they are any good Adobe will most likely buy them out and we'll never hear from them again anyway).

Free Range
My IMDB
Edited
7 Years Ago by freerange
animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

freerange (8/10/2017)
Actually that is Hao Li who made FaceShift which was Faceware's only real competitor at their price point. Faceshift was bought by Apple. 

The research project you are seeing here is already existing, as part of his USC research. They are just productizing it now. 

I would love to see what other single image solutions you have seen that are much better than this. Especially as this handles occlusion tracking and generated a fully rigged and accurate performant head from a single image that matched the user.

What was missing though was a full view of the head (side and back). It was now sort of the same as you get with CrazyTalk 8 3D heads. CT head creation is not fully automatic, obviously, but that is not such a big deal. Hair was nice, but is it dynamic?

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
7 Years Ago by animagic
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

freerange (8/10/2017)

Kelleytoons (8/8/2017)
Swoop,

It's cute, but as someone who has been around for many, many decades, I will believe this when it is available.  I cannot tell you how many companies, software AND hardware, that ended up as vaporware.  This thing isn't even in beta yet (you can sign up for the beta if you want) let alone how much it will cost, or even if it will be usable in some kind of engine like iClone (right now their target is Unity).

If the company and software is still around a year from now I'll be a believer -- again, I've seen things MUCH better than this never see any commercial release, so we'll have to see what happens (if they are any good Adobe will most likely buy them out and we'll never hear from them again anyway).

And didn't you just prove my point, FR?  Apple bought out that product and it's gone...  The same thing could happen here.

And -- look, you're a kid and I understand you're in the industry now, but in decades I've seen TREMENDOUS software, much, MUCH better than what they are showing today at Siggraph, and it never made the light of day.  This particular project hasn't made the light of day (it's not even in beta yet).  Will it?  Perhaps.  Will it actually last or be available?  Perhaps as well, but I don't get excited about ANYTHING I've seen at a trade show until you can pay your money and get the product (the official released and supported project).  If I reported to my boss every breathless piece of wonder software I had seen I wouldn't have lasted long in my job (pretty demos, though).

(And, frankly, like Ani I wasn't thinking it looked any better than what CT can do and that hair wasn't dynamic and they didn't do long hair, which is the real challenge, so, no, it was okay but not great.  Mostly an interesting toy).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
freerange
freerange
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
What's your point, Reallusion could be snatched up but another company. Doesn't make the software any less relevant. Is in beta now, tried out the alpha a while ago. Pinscreen does do hair reconstruction though it is not a full fiber based sim, Hao Li has a lot of publish papers in hair capture as well Once again name one software that can generate a full performant head from a single image and handle tracking with occlusion like theirs can. 

A kid, seriously? Obviously you are coming here to be contrarian and condescending and really just to complain. I get it, you are playing grumpy old man stereotype. Pointless trying to have a discussion.

For the rest of the users, Reallusion had many choices to pick from, but Faceware was a company that was no only willing to partner with them but provides a very good solution that is considered very cost effective by those who know face tracking and works with standard hardware. Simple as that. Those of us that have used it, know it works very well and is reliable. It costs no more than iClones PN body tracking solution so fits an existing pricing model. The fact that Faceware was willing to partner with them on a solution might be 75% of the reason Faceware was chosen, I don't know. Could also be Faceware is heavily used in the game industry (also TV and film) which Reallusion would love to have strong foothold in. Whatever the reasons this is the solution that Reallusion has been able to give to their users and it is a very good one. 

Free Range
My IMDB
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
lp_movies/tvs (8/9/2017)
pater do you know when pricing will be know for just faceware well be  so I can save up before the deal goes so I don't miss the lowest prices 

Unfortunately there are still some things to finalise with Faceware but we getting closer to announcing the launch offer pricing.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

LP_movies/tvs
LP_movies/tvs
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
thanks for getting back to me peter

Reading This Topic