Posted By mrl 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Issue with physics for short hair - hair flies everywhere

Author
mrl
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (912 reputation)Veteran Member (912 reputation)Veteran Member (912 reputation)Veteran Member (912 reputation)Veteran Member (912 reputation)Veteran Member (912 reputation)Veteran Member (912 reputation)Veteran Member (912 reputation)Veteran Member (912 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hi all,

I'm trying to get a short hair style to blow in the wind.  I have no issue with the longer hair styles, but when I try it on shorter styles (I've tried a few different ones), I always get the same result:

The hair seems to explode off of the head and then just fall to the ground.  I've uploaded an example here:

https://youtu.be/88LGg6iq5HY

Can anyone help me figure out how to get this working? 

Thanks!

Mirror Valley
*Tales of the Strange and Unusual*
Mirror Valley on Youtube
Pixtim
Pixtim
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Loool! This is not the desired effect but it's quite funny to watch Smile

The weight map must be related to the UV unfolding of the model. Depending on how it's made, it's more or less complicated. Each strand of hair has to have the end in white to move, and the base in black to be fixed ...

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/0a0894ca-d56b-4356-859c-f08b.jpg

paulg625
paulg625
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
The Fly away effect is caused by the collision cage setting causing it to move away from the cage. and the weight map settings as Pixtim stated. you need UV mapped hair and MUST have a pure black part to attach the hair to the head.
but0fc0ursee
but0fc0ursee
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
mrl,

As noted... it depends on how the hair is unwrapped.

But.... No matter how it's laid out... One Way to ensure awesome results is...
View the hair in an uv editor... you will be able to (Easily) create the physics weight map, 
because you can see the "Roots"

Example:
View in a uv editor:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c30bf866-6c08-4b18-9dee-179f.png

Select a small section in the uv editor and LOOK at the character to see if it's THE ROOT.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/0aa5124b-a5d1-45e6-9090-05f9.png

Keep selecting until you find ALL OF THE ROOTS.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/16574051-a85a-4243-a80e-7fd9.png

Now create a template to paint your map in your favorite image editor.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

REALLUSION make this easier to do because of "HOW THEY PAINT IT.
Look at the "Dark Spots"
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/23046051-14a2-410f-b358-9717.jpg

Paint those dark spot (Solid Black and use various "Lighter" shades and BLEND from solid black to white.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/8b82aa04-02ff-4522-a67c-eb4c.png

This is down 'n dirty (Quickly Done)... but it works.Tongue

Do you use Blender or similar 3rd party 3d modeling / animation program??

Edited
7 Years Ago by but0fc0ursee
mrl
mrl
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (912 reputation)Veteran Member (912 reputation)Veteran Member (912 reputation)Veteran Member (912 reputation)Veteran Member (912 reputation)Veteran Member (912 reputation)Veteran Member (912 reputation)Veteran Member (912 reputation)Veteran Member (912 reputation)

That's amazing!  Thanks for the detailed reply. 

Unfortunately I'm pretty new at some of this more advanced stuff.  I do have Cinema 4D, but I'm far from proficient at it (to be honest, I'd never heard of a UV editor until now).  Looks like I have some learning to do but this gets me a huge step in the right direction. 

I'm assuming I need to learn how to use the C4D UV editor and then with that and Photoshop I can more-or-less follow the steps you've laid out above, yes?

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Mirror Valley
Mirror Valley on Youtube
but0fc0ursee
but0fc0ursee
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)

mrl (7/27/2017)
...I'm assuming I need to learn how to use the C4D UV editor and then with that and Photoshop I can more-or-less follow the steps you've laid out above, yes?

In 2D Space... you use the coordinates (X & Y) to pin-point a spot. (Location)
In 3D Space... you use the coordinates (X,Y,Z) to pin-point a spot. (Location)

A "Mesh"... is the surface of all objects. It has "Vertices" joined by line segments.
(Forming the shape).
The shapes are squares, known as "Quads".... these quads are split into "Triangles."
"Quads and Triangles" form "Faces" along the mesh.

To texture a mesh.... a "Shader" is applied to all of the "Faces" 
Light strikes the surface and the shader goes to work (displaying the texture applied).
____________________________________________________________________________________

BUT...

How do you texture any object? You paint or place an image over the "Faces."
How does any program know where the faces are?????

The software needs to know (exactly) where each "Vertex" is.
Remember... in 3d space, the coordinates (x,y,z) are used to pin-point a spot. (Location)
BUT....
To find a vertex.... a different coordinate is used. (U,V,W) SPACE.

In UVW Space:
A mesh is (Unwrapped - Flattened)... displaying EVERY vertex and face.
THIS (flatten image) is a 2d representation of the mesh.
THIS is the mesh's UV'S.

You send this 2d uv "Template" to your image editor.
You overlay..."Paint or Place Images" on it to accurately texture it.

Hope This Helps.Smile
Edited
mrl
mrl
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

That's incredibly helpful!  Thanks again for taking the time.

Mirror Valley
Mirror Valley on Youtube
but0fc0ursee
but0fc0ursee
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

mrl (7/27/2017)
That's incredibly helpful!  Thanks again for taking the time.

You're W E L C O M E! Smile

You have C4D... Please dive (Head First) into it and learn her tools.
A million offers will come your way to "automate" this or that.
....don't buy it. Learn C4D.

Practice:
Modeling - (Box, Spline, Patch, Nurbs)
Rigging - (Humanoid, Quadruped, Robotic)
Animating - (Learn the Function Curve Editor)... inside out.

Then when you get inspired and say, "Hey, I want it to do this and look (Exactly) like that.
The BEST PART IS: You do NOT start from scratch... you learn to:
Make that face have the (Unique Features)... you want.
Conform (SkinWrap) this mesh to that one.
Blend ANY animation (mocap, bvh, fbx).... with precision.

C4D will take you to the promise land.
Guaranteed. Wink

Edited
mrl
mrl
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Sounds like a plan!

Mirror Valley
Mirror Valley on Youtube

Reading This Topic