Import Validation With Meaningful Errors

Posted By Lord Ashes 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Lord Ashes
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
This applies especially to the Cloth Import function but it would be good for all imports.
Please add better validation of the imported file and provide more meaningful error messages to the user in case of failure.
With the current version of CC (and previous ones), I find that:
1. Importing cloth that has a lot of "free flow" areas (areas not weight painted to bones) can lead to CC crashing without any error (just the generic Windows program crash dialog).
2. Importing cloth that has a lot of "free flow" areas (areas not weight painted to bones) can leas to cryptic error messages like "[CC] Skin Error".

Lastly, when importing cloth, typically the FBX contains the clothing mesh attached to the armature but also the character mesh (i.e. the CC Body, CC Eyes and CC Tongue meshes from the original character).
During the Cloth import, the CC meshes show up in the summary as Errors. I am guessing, although I have not tried it, that it may be possible to remove them from the FBX before Cloth importing but why not just ignore them as opposed to flagging them as errors. I realize that even when they are flagged as errors, the Cloth import still works but it provides a less professional appearance.

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast

Reading This Topic