iClone 7 PBR vs Octane Render - FIGHT!

Posted By TonyDPrime 7 Years Ago
Rated 1 star based on 1 vote.

Author
planetstardragon
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
roughly 1/2 hour,  but looked good in 5 mins,  i just let it run in the background while I was tweaking the iclone render. -  I probably could have gotten them closer if I had spent more time.

The real difference is in time,  the render engines usually default to a realistic setting,  iclones default settings are more on the toon side,  you have the tools to emulate realism but you have to work at the nuances. - there is nothing calculating shadows like indigo calculating them, so you have to paint them in so to speak.    What indigo calculates in shadows and colors,  I have to manually adjust in iclone.

pka4916
pka4916
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
My guess  Left = Indigo  and right = Iclone

planetstardragon (7/12/2017)
I just tried a similar comparison,  ic7 vs indigo in my case. 
Not saying which is which though.https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/15def3e0-7188-4dd9-8a41-7778.jpg

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
So, just for chuckles (because I didn't like either one of the images above) I thought I'd light my own and see what I could get (it's more indicative of the possibilities, as Rampa was suggesting by taking the scene all of us have and seeing what lighting we'd make of it.  There are just SO many ways to light in iClone now).

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/b09ec59c-aac9-45e5-9029-b95a.png

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

pretty cool how the different lightings make him look like a different person, each creates a different mood -  1st guy looks like beady eyed euro-asian mobster,  2nd guy looks more like a clean cut undercover NY detective,  kelley's guy looks more like a member of a motorcycle gang

dr.zap
dr.zap
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (827 reputation)Veteran Member (827 reputation)Veteran Member (827 reputation)Veteran Member (827 reputation)Veteran Member (827 reputation)Veteran Member (827 reputation)Veteran Member (827 reputation)Veteran Member (827 reputation)Veteran Member (827 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Kelleytoons (7/12/2017)
So, just for chuckles (because I didn't like either one of the images above) I thought I'd light my own and see what I could get...

"iClone is not for stills!  iClone is not for stills! <proceeds to rendering a still with iClone>Laugh

For a more fair comparison of render engines, I think realtime render engines should be compared with each other.  Unity made a fabulous movie with it's PBR and the assets are available for free on their website.  I suggest someone can try to see if iClones renderer can match the Unity Engine or Unreal Engine.  Now that would be apples to apples comparison. Downloading the assets and trying to duplicate the movie is a good challenge for iClone.
Edited
7 Years Ago by dr.zap
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

there comes a point in the render style debate that it becomes a flavor contest ...what's the best flavor,  chocolate, strawberry or vanilla ?
there is a matter of artistry and context.  Consider the movie sin city and it's noir look,  or for that matter the blair witch movie that was shot with a home cam...that lo fi look added to the context of the movie canon or sony makes much better camera's but a sony red would have killed the home cam feel of the blair witch movie.  -  comparing is good to see what looks each different thing brings to the story,  but to figure out which is best is ultimately an attempt at quantizing artistic value.  The tv show the Honeymooners would not be the same in color,  south park would lose much appeal if it was made in ray traced 3D.  Comparing styles is cool,  looking for the best is moot. ( despite vanilla being the best flavor )

If everyone did spielberg / george lucas quality movies,  with phil spector wall of sound audio - movies would get boring fast.  -  we need charlie chaplin, pixar, disney and the simpsons to look different.

Edited
7 Years Ago by planetstardragon
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
dr.zap (7/12/2017)
Kelleytoons (7/12/2017)
So, just for chuckles (because I didn't like either one of the images above) I thought I'd light my own and see what I could get...

"iClone is not for stills!  iClone is not for stills! <proceeds to rendering a still with iClone>Laugh

Just for chuckles I did this in less time than it took to upload it to YouTube (about 90 seconds which included recording the audio and rendering and creating the file).

Let's see what someone can do animating with Octane in that time <g>.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
dr.zap
dr.zap
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (827 reputation)Veteran Member (827 reputation)Veteran Member (827 reputation)Veteran Member (827 reputation)Veteran Member (827 reputation)Veteran Member (827 reputation)Veteran Member (827 reputation)Veteran Member (827 reputation)Veteran Member (827 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
planetstardragon (7/12/2017)
there comes a point in the render style debate that it becomes a flavor contest ...what's the best flavor,  chocolate, strawberry or vanilla ?
there is a matter of artistry and context.  Consider the movie sin city and it's noir look,  or for that matter the blair witch movie that was shot with a home cam...that lo fi look added to the context of the movie canon or sony makes much better camera's but a sony red would have killed the home cam feel of the blair witch movie.  -  comparing is good to see what looks each different thing brings to the story,  but to figure out which is best is ultimately an attempt at quantizing artistic value.  The tv show the Honeymooners would not be the same in color,  south park would lose much appeal if it was made in ray traced 3D.  Comparing styles is cool,  looking for the best is moot. ( despite vanilla being the best flavor )

If everyone did spielberg / george lucas quality movies,  with phil spector wall of sound audio - movies would get boring fast.  -  we need charlie chaplin, pixar, disney and the simpsons to look different.

Amen
pka4916
pka4916
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.3K reputation)

Wow,  If that was just done in Iclone.
I am a Daz User,  but only rendered in 3Delight for the movies.  since Iray  takes forever.  Then I found Iclone, bought it and never used it so far..
Going through the whole training course.
But it's exiting to see the options for it..   
And  think there was a seminar too  this week  about this stuff with someone from Pixar I think?  , have to lookup what day it was.
But that might be interesting too.
Going to have a blast with it for sure.. once I know all the tricks and such..  There is still a lot to learn for me.

Kelleytoons (7/12/2017)
So, just for chuckles (because I didn't like either one of the images above) I thought I'd light my own and see what I could get (it's more indicative of the possibilities, as Rampa was suggesting by taking the scene all of us have and seeing what lighting we'd make of it.  There are just SO many ways to light in iClone now).

pka4916
pka4916
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Wow,  If that was just done in Iclone.
I am a Daz User,  but only rendered in 3Delight for the movies.  since Iray  takes forever.  Then I found Iclone, bought it and never used it so far..
Going through the whole training course.
But it's exiting to see the options for it..   
And  think there was a seminar too  this week  about this stuff with someone from Pixar I think?  , have to lookup what day it was.
But that might be interesting too.
Going to have a blast with it for sure.. once I know all the tricks and such..  There is still a lot to learn for me.

Kelleytoons (7/12/2017)

Reading This Topic