iClone 7 PBR vs Octane Render - FIGHT!

Posted By TonyDPrime 7 Years Ago
Rated 1 star based on 1 vote.
Author
TonyDPrime
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 days ago
Here is a Noggin-compare of iClone 7 vs Octane.

The lighting isn't the same, but what do you think? 
Who's Noggin would you rather Nog?

EDIT - 16 minutes iClone, 50 minutes Octane.  
Edited
6 Years Ago by TonyDPrime
wildstar
wildstar
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
TonyDPrime (4/10/2018)
Here is a Noggin-compare of iClone 7 vs Octane.

The lighting isn't the same, but what do you think? 
Who's Noggin would you rather Nog?

EDIT - 16 minutes iClone, 50 minutes Octane.  

as I said before, heads with IBL illumination are really not a comparison parameter, especially if they are occupying the entire screen. the problems with iclone are in relation to the poor processing of textures. (a head occupying the entire screen will not show this problem). little definition of textures as they are away from the screen (with mipmap off). the antialiass really bad. the frequent appearance of the masks of the buffers when using different things on the screen, such as glows / emissive / dof. and now with the popcorn particles. iclone's features are good. In that case, if the same light is placed, it will look good. but this is definitely not the point that I get beat up so much.

TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)

Here is another Head-to-Head (get it?!) comparison of the 2 factions with a G3F avatar:

iClone 7

Octane Render

I tried to really equalize the lighting and everything.  Neither is pushing or flaunting the potential of its respective rendering engine, just a straight head-to-head.

iClone 7 - 900 frames @2160, 18 minutes
Octane - 900 frames @1080p, 400 s/px , 3.5 hrs (6 Titan X Pascal) - I cut corners to get the time down, not the cleanest render (no denoising, would have taken longer!)

I actually find myself liking the 'look' of the iClone one more, but it suffers from what I still call the "Tooning Conundrum". 
Whereas the Octane looks an edge closer to the realish element.
And I don't mean real as in a 'real person', as in, she looks like a real human.
I mean real, as in more like a real object, in 3D space.  (ie a mannequin or rubber doll)
Edited
6 Years Ago by TonyDPrime
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Thanks for sharing the test, Tony.

Relative to a "50-50" tie, I'd score it about 48% iClone to 52% Octane.  Very close.

At this point, I think the bigger change, rather than one renderer versus the other, would be to fine-tune the skin.  Increase the roughness slightly, add some subtle color variations, maybe a minor blemish.  That would decrease the "waxy" appearance.

Nice looking work.  Very nice.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
6 Years Ago by justaviking
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

justaviking (6/18/2018)
Thanks for sharing the test, Tony.

Relative to a "50-50" tie, I'd score it about 48% iClone to 52% Octane.  Very close.

At this point, I think the bigger change, rather than one renderer versus the other, would be to fine-tune the skin.  Increase the roughness slightly, add some subtle color variations, maybe a minor blemish.  That would decrease the "waxy" appearance.

Nice looking work.  Very nice.

Hello, thanks.  Which one did you make the suggestions for, the Octane one, right? (thinking the Octane version, but wasn't sure)

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
TonyDPrime (6/27/2018)

Hello, thanks.  Which one did you make the suggestions for, the Octane one, right? (thinking the Octane version, but wasn't sure)

Yes, if forced to pick, I vote for the Octane picture as the winner.

But mostly I'd call it a tie, with minor differences that are mostly "artistic" and subjective in nature.

At this point, I see the textures as more important than the rendering engine.  Your "Morning Glow-ry" images are great.  The textures there are very "real" with variations and flaws in the skin, like what you see on real people.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
6 Years Ago by justaviking
illusionLAB
illusionLAB
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
It's not really a comparison of "renderers" as much as it's - "can I get similar results?".  This is about as good as it gets for iClone's PBR... whereas the Octane it's just the beginning - sub surface scattering alone could take the image a big step closer to reality - combined with better lighting and lens effects (DOF and 'bloom') the difference would be substantial.  The upcoming iRay renderer for iClone would be more of a suitable 'shootout'.
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hi JAV, thanks very much!  
For the question, I was actually wondering which of the versions you had thought looked too waxy, where you said increase the roughness.  I was thinking you had meant the Octane one.  And so now when Illusion Lab mentioned the SSS and lighting for Octane, I kind of increased the probability in my head that's the one you imagined could be touched up.

IllusionLab, yeah I am looking forward to pitting Iray vs Octane vs iClone realtime-PBR, for comparison sake.  I am going to wager Iray will look the best. 
In Daz, I think Iray can go further visually than Octane can.  What do you guys think?
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Here is another Head to Head Battle with CC3 Default avatar mesh:
(not matched verbatim, but close enough.)

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ec5454e9-c992-41df-8600-2869.jpg

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/da0bf1ce-ca4a-4133-980d-ecea.png

I like the look we can get from iClone, but I think Octane's powers pull away a little too much.
Like, when I made the render in CC3, I was like, "Yeah...Looks Good!"...
And then I render in Octane and I'm like, "Curse You Tooning Conundrum!...."

But somehow I still like that iClone look, as in style.  You know what's weird, if I rendered in UE4 it would also almost look like a different character model. 
Might be the way features present to the cam or something.

The CC3 one looks calm and relaxed...The Octane one looks a touch agitated, and that in itself is more true to life. 

TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Here is Unreal 4.23 Preview 7

Raster
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/62872546-1004-4deb-964f-f4f9.png

Raytrace

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/acb697e7-a977-4a62-ae48-9784.png

And here is Octane with the same scene (without avatar)
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c98fb4a2-74a0-41eb-b93a-bf46.png

I am finding you can push Unreal's look, including Raytracing, much closer to Octane. 
But Octane still is the Champion look-wise.
But speedwise, Unreal is unreal!  - 1sec/frame vs 20 sec frame heavy scene with shadows

Reading This Topic