Profile Picture

Can I create my own CLOTH BASES in character creator 2 or iClone 7?

Posted By raylutton 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Can I create my own CLOTH BASES in character creator 2 or iClone 7?

Author
raylutton
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (224 reputation)Junior Member (224 reputation)Junior Member (224 reputation)Junior Member (224 reputation)Junior Member (224 reputation)Junior Member (224 reputation)Junior Member (224 reputation)Junior Member (224 reputation)Junior Member (224 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
I own the following Reallusion products:

iClone 7 + iClone 3DXChange 7 Pipeline + CrazyTalk 8Pipeline + CC Essential Complete Bundle (Export Version) + Character Creator 2

I am new to these products and currently learning how to use them.  Question..... Can I create my own CLOTH BASES in character creator 2 or iClone 7?  I would like to if it is possible but so far I only see cloth bases being created in other 3D programs like Blender, Maya, etc.

Thank you if you choose to reply.
Ray.

Bellatrix
Bellatrix
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Your question: Can you create clothes base in CC2 or IC7?

To make original mesh for CC characters, you will need an external tool for Auto-Riggingweight transfer of Clothing Mesh to Character.
Auto-rigging of clothing (and weight adjustment) is possible in cheaper toolset Mixamo/ Daz Studio/ Poser/ Carrara - but as far as I know still not possible in iClone 7, Character Creator 2, or 3DXchange 7. 

So regardless if you're already a modeler, you will still need to spend TIME and PC RESOURCES to install and learn Blender, Maya, 3DSMax, just to rig clothing for CC.

And afterwards, import export import export between 2 content creation tools + CC plugin before you actually fit some new clothes on your CC actor.

Then after all that, "export" from Character Creator to iClone, just to test out physics weight map and collision of clothing within iClone itself.

What takes 2 tools, takes 4 tools here, and plenty more time and clicks.

This is probably why there are far fewer vendors of original CC clothing bases even there is a high demand, compared to the thriving marketplace of Daz Studio.

You can of course make do with The Sims style "recoloring" of officially made clothing base, using the new fabulous PBR shaders. Though so far, out of the possible 2345 clothing forms, only 35 have been produced by official or freelance vendors. Oh well. Limitation forces hobbyists with no deadline issue to be "creative" and fuss over hacky workarounds. Me, I need huge wardrobe and I can't dumb down my auto-rigging workflow from 24 clicks to 500 clicks. So I'm sticking with Daz Genesis for clothing diversity for now! Tongue 

You can of course use Daz Genesis inside iClone - but subject to reduced iClone features.

If for some reason you are really attached to CC actors, and don't want to spend any money just to auto-rig, can't stand Blender's ridiculous UI GUI, give Blender for Artist a try. 

>>> Indie Generalist modeler-rigger-animator <<< Hardware: AlienWare i7-HK 32G GTX1080 2T-SSDs BenqSW320 Wacom-Intuous 3Dconnexion ||| Software: IC6 Pipeline - CTA3 Pipeline - ATK2 - Indigo ||| Zbrush4R8. Blender 2.79. DazStudio 4.9. Carrara. Poser. Octane.

Edited
7 Years Ago by Bellatrix
mtakerkart
mtakerkart
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
You can't create from scratch clothes inside CC or iclone, you must create it in a modeler app. Then you have to transfer weight map from a character template given by reallusion to
the cloth created. Export it as fbx, then you can "create" this cloth in CC wich can be applied to all your CC character.
I made a very basic tutorial for this process in blender:

raylutton
raylutton
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (224 reputation)Junior Member (224 reputation)Junior Member (224 reputation)Junior Member (224 reputation)Junior Member (224 reputation)Junior Member (224 reputation)Junior Member (224 reputation)Junior Member (224 reputation)Junior Member (224 reputation)

Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed replies Bellatrix & mtakerkart.  Very helpful advice which I will now take advantage of as I move forward in my own project.  I will definitely check out "Blender for Artist" and study the attached video of how to make my own cloth bases using mtakerkart's process (for now anyway).

Thanks again for replying!

Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
It should be noted that you can use one of the provided CC Bases (or bought CC Bases) to make clothing that is significantly different from the base by applying Opacity and Bump maps. However, as stated in other answers, to make a completely new piece of clothing with a completely unique shape you need an external 3rd party tool like Blender (which is a free tool), Maya or StudioMax, etc.

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
theorysharp
theorysharp
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (750 reputation)Veteran Member (750 reputation)Veteran Member (750 reputation)Veteran Member (750 reputation)Veteran Member (750 reputation)Veteran Member (750 reputation)Veteran Member (750 reputation)Veteran Member (750 reputation)Veteran Member (750 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I am in the same position as the OP here, except I'm trying to take it a step further and export into unreal engine.

What is the fastest known way to go through the process of making/editing custom clothing for CC characters? 
From my very limited knowledge, it sounds like Daz or Maya, would be fastest. I was going to try Maya first.
Are there any plugins or ways to use other peoples clothing in any of these 3rd party programs? 

I will be using the character + rigged clothing in unreal engine 4.16 --- (which apparently switched from Apex to NVclothing, but I know nothing about it yet).

Just trying to find a quick working solution. Pretty overwhelmed as a noob =)
paulg625
paulg625
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
theorysharp (7/27/2017)
I am in the same position as the OP here, except I'm trying to take it a step further and export into unreal engine.

What is the fastest known way to go through the process of making/editing custom clothing for CC characters? 
From my very limited knowledge, it sounds like Daz or Maya, would be fastest. I was going to try Maya first.
Are there any plugins or ways to use other peoples clothing in any of these 3rd party programs? 

I will be using the character + rigged clothing in unreal engine 4.16 --- (which apparently switched from Apex to NVclothing, but I know nothing about it yet).

Just trying to find a quick working solution. Pretty overwhelmed as a noob =)

Just a note about your paths. First a question are you planning on making a game to sell Using the Unreal engine ? If so keep in mind Daz products have a different EU agreement. 
With Daz they are liberal about letting you take their product from tool to tool. But, If you put it into a 3D game they expect to get paid. and its a $500 (250 if prime member and on sale) per game. And know not all products are DAZ originals other vendors at Daz have their oun charges for this.

So Daz is great if you only intend to make 2D images they don't charge you a special fee to take use their meshes (clothes) in Iclone, Lightwave or any 3D product except Gaming
As to Maya it is very expensive (they need to get on board with the Indie revolution)
As to using other people clothing, their are many places to buy clothing CG trader, Turbo squid just to name a few. You will have to still learn weight mapping and a few other modeling techniques.

So know you are just learning (hell we all are)? but what are your end goals ?  This will help decide what tools to use and learn.  

but0fc0ursee
but0fc0ursee
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
theorysharp (7/27/2017)
...What is the fastest known way to go through the process of making/editing custom clothing for CC characters? 

Modeling Custom cloth and editing Cloth" requires a lot of practice.
If your new, with very little or no 3d modeling experience... there is no fast process to "Create and Edit" Custom clothing.

Custom Creation:
The "Fastest Way" is to learn a modeling programs tools.
If you choose Maya (LT)... it has everything you need to meet your objective and it's much more affordable than the full version of Maya.

Blender (Free)
Maya
3ds Max
C4D
Carrara, etc., etc.
...Top notch programs like these....will take you years to "proficiently" learn there tools.
There is NO fast way.... Your progress depends on how fast you learn.
Modeling is very tedious and not for everyone.

...Are there any plugins or ways to use other peoples clothing in any of these 3rd party programs?

Oh YES! ...once you learn the tools... Match ANY cloth to another cloth via...SkinWrap.
...it's a modifier... not plugin.

Economical Way:
Learn Blenders tools and plugins.

Expensive Way:
Purchase Maya(LT) and plugins.

...I will be using the character + rigged clothing in unreal engine 4.16 --- (which apparently switched from Apex to NVclothing, but I know nothing about it yet).

(When your NEW).... Slow Down Here.... your headed for serious problems.

Why?
Creating 3d animated videos is far more forgiving than creating real games.
For Games.... your 3d mesh, UV'S, and textures.... MUST be "Optimized" (No Open Edges, nor too many multiple uv's) ... otherwise, your game will NOT compile.
You will get too many "Draw Calls" and your game will "Crash."

Games:
Please take the time to learn what "Open Edges" are and how they will STOP any game from being made.
iClone
Daz
Poser
.... characters, cloth and all accessories (Combined) are full of "Open Edges" and way too many uv's  to populate and entire Unreal scene with.
.... NOT Game Ready.

NOTE:
Yes, you can bring all of these characters, accessories, and cloth into Unreal.
They WILL move around and perform.
But....
finish your scripting and attempt to "Complie".... "Ooops, not again."

Think twice before you heavily invest into Gaming.

Edited
7 Years Ago by but0fc0ursee

Reading This Topic