Justaviking's iClone 7 corner

Posted By justaviking 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
justaviking
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (16.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 50 minutes ago
So... speaking of Python...

I have started down the dangerous path of learning Python scripting.  It's quite easy to read (I knew that already), but when you don't know all the syntax yet, it still takes a little while.

I'm using Blender as my training ground.  I actually have a specific task I'd like to automate, and considering I'm on my second (partial) evening, I'm feeling pretty good.  Sometimes the Blender interface can feed the commands right to you in one of the windows, other times you can use Blender's Python console window to help with the command options, but sometimes there are still more options and input fields than what are immediately apparent.  For example, "select_all()" is a toggle, just like the "a" hotkey, so you have to use "select_all(action='SELECT')" to actually ensure you select everything, regardless if something was already selected or not.

So between logical guesses (which sometimes work) and a bit of Google, I'm making progress.  Yeah, feeling good, but now it's time to double-check that I've saved what I learned and get ready for bed.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 7, i7-3770k CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 16GB RAM, Asus P8Z77-V Pro motherboard, 500 GB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (21.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (21.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (21.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (21.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (21.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (21.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (21.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (21.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (21.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Good for you -- immediate feedback is one of the hallmarks of scripting, and one that accelerates the learning curve.  I wish I had had that kind of ability back when I first started programming (we used punch cards and had to wait UNTIL THE NEXT DAY to even know if our program had run, let alone what it did.  OTOH, it leads to pretty rigourous hand checking techniques).

Alienware Aurora R7, Win 10, i7-8700k, 4.7GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, GTX Titan XP (12GB), Samsung 960 Pro 2TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (16.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.1K reputation)

I Try Not to Stare

...but...

People are Strange

Sometimes when I'm sitting in a conference room at work, and the meeting starts to drag on a bit, I find myself looking at people.  Then I think about making them in Character Creator.  And that's when I come to the conclusion that if I was able to make faithful reproductions of some the people I see around me, people here would laugh and mock the avatars.

Consider the eyebrows.  They are all over the place.  Low ones.  High ones.  Slanted ones (like Spock in the original Star Trek pilot episode).  Some are not much more than a tuft of fuzz near the area above the nose (whatever you call that area).  The females tend to be much more creative than the males (who at most, might trim them).  Some women shave off the natural ones (I'm sure) and then paint on fake ones.  Some are obviously fake, and would look like very bad art work in Character Creator.  Some are high and arched, leading to a look of perpetual surprise! (Or maybe a nod to the McDonald's golden arches logo.)

A number of men are bald (naturally or not), and some have very shiny heads.  It seems more noticeable on the the black guys, but several of the white guys are pretty shiny too.  One of the black guys, I swear, puts car wax on his head.  If I made an avatar with a head that reflective, nobody would believe it.

And basic things, like the shape of the head.  This is most noticeable on the bald guys, of course.  Some almost have a ridge, running front-to-back, with flat sides, like a roof.  Some are lumpy and not even symmetrical (much like Linus, in the Peanuts cartoons).  I've see a couple that are amazingly round, like Charlie Brown.  Even on people with hair, the forehead can be nearly vertical or drastically slanted back.

One guy, from the side, had the flattest back of the head I've ever seen.  From the base of the neck to the peak of his head (yes, the highest part of his head might have been very close to the back.)  From the side, I swear, he looked like the statues on Easter Island.  I was so tempted to try and take a photo, because if I ever made an avatar with a head shaped like that, you'd never believe it.

Then you get into chins and necks.  Very few people (at least where I live) have a flat, horizontal area under their chin.  At least not after the age of 20.  Even in-shape and thin people tend to have that chin/neck area that is more of a 45-degree angle that goes from the chin to below the Adam's apple.

And, yes, there is no shortage of overweight people.  Necks.  They would be very difficult to model and get to behave correctly.

The amazing thing is, they are not freaks.  The beautiful variety of people is a wonderful thing that enriches our world, but so many of our "normal" avatars fall into a very narrow range with limited variation in shapes and sizes.

Yup, some meetings drag on and on, so my mind wanders.  I find myself looking at people, textures and surfaces, shapes, lighting (even in conference rooms).  Sigh....

I've been thinking of writing this for many days (off and on), and finally decided to write it and get it out of my system.

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one.  Please?

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 7, i7-3770k CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 16GB RAM, Asus P8Z77-V Pro motherboard, 500 GB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

wires
wires
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.6K reputation)

Looks like a very serious case of iCloneitis, w00t I'm sure that professional help is available if needed. SmileBigGrinTongueHeheLaughRolleyes

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (1903), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-441.28), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

Edited
2 Years Ago by wires
Pixtim
Pixtim
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Hahaha! Justaviking, i love you! !">: D!
Your message made me laugh a lot! I just think you're an artist stunned by the diversity of the world.
Finally, our thinking is much less free than we believe.
), je donnais l'exemple suivant : Si vous dessinez une main ultra réaliste">When I gave drawing lessons (I do not know how to draw, but I still give drawing lessons .. life is strange sometimes Smile), I gave the following example: If you draw an ultra realistic hand in profile and tense, very flat. Nobody will consider that your drawing is just ... a hand stretched flat profile view ... it looks like nothing ... and certainly not a hand!

In many cases, the special effects can not be as reality would be, peronne would believe it ... And moreover, some stories that happen in reality could not be the subject of a film at all. .. everyone would find that silly, abusive .. grotesque!

So the faces .... is what you have already experienced to make a picture of you from the front, to cut your portrait in the middle and to make a symmetry on one side .. and then on the other. .. it's pretty surprising!

So when we look carefully at the people around us .... we find ourselves quickly in the heart of an alien brotherhood, and it's very funny! ">Smile

We have as many visual habits as habits of life ...

Pixtim'Store : Motions and models (marketplace and preview)
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/474f1e6a-a3e4-4211-a5bf-ceaf.jpg

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (21.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (21.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (21.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (21.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (21.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (21.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (21.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (21.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (21.2K reputation)

Dennis,

I know *exactly* what you mean -- except not just about people.  I did 2D animation for a decade or so after I was heavily into 3D, and I knew I was "back" in 3D when suddenly everything I looked at in the world around me I started thinking "how would I model/light/animate that?"

It's definitely an occupational hazard.  SMH, I just shrug it off and say to myself "stop analyzing and appreciate life for what it is."  And then I go back and say "but if I put a directional light over here just so, and then that park bench I have is pretty close to what I'm seeing here with a bit of Speedtrees thrown in..."

Alienware Aurora R7, Win 10, i7-8700k, 4.7GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, GTX Titan XP (12GB), Samsung 960 Pro 2TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
mark
mark
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)

Last Active: 11 minutes ago
Marvelous observation Dennis!!!!BigGrinTongueBigGrin

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@Gerry - I know I need help.  That's why I'm here.  Wink

@Pixtim - I'm glad my strange confession made you smile.  Thanks for the "hand" example.  I believe it.  Also, I've seen examples of the asymmetry in people's faces.  The activity you suggested (mirroring the left/right halves of the face) does reveal that we are surprising unsymmetrical.

@KelleyToons - You are right, it is an occupational hazard.  (More below.)

@Mark - Nice to see you here, too.

Re Occupational hazard - A few days ago two people were commenting in the Substance Designer/Painter forums.  One talked about "critiquing" real-world photographs, like you would normally pick apart a rendering.  Then he has to stop and remind himself that he's looking at an actual photograph.  In response, a guy confessed to stepping outside, looking up, and saying the clouds look wrong and the sky color is off.  (He maybe needs to get away from his computer and step outside a bit more often.)

But seriously, this happened to the director of the Iron Man movies when they were working on the first one.  In a "preview" meeting one day, the director complained about the computer-generated Iron Man suit being too reflective and it wasn't believable.  However, the director was looking at the real suit, not the CG-rendered one.  That was a key moment for the director; when he realized the computer graphics were truly mature.

One more story (for now)...

Skin color.  (Why does this feel like such a sensitive topic these days?  I'll bravely press on anyway, without worrying too much about my choice of words.)  I am blessed to be in a very diverse work environment, and as I said in my previous post, I get time to make observations during some long-running meetings.

By the way, I'm white.  "Viking."  Norwegian ancestry.  Hopefully this isn't a big surprise to anyone.  But I'm not going to be one-sided on this subject.

I have often noticed the strong color contrast between the back of the hand and the palm on some of the black guys.  It seems I notice that more on the males than the females; I'll have to think about that some.  I have some variation in my own hands, but not nearly as stark as the brown/pink contrast on some guys.  It's not universal, though.  But the point being I would be hesitant to paint that much of a contrast on the hands of a black avatar, even though it is quite common.

Don't worry, it's the white guys too.  As a kid with a 16-color box of Crayola crayons, it was difficult to color people who looked like me.  "White" wasn't correct, not even for me in the winter time (and it didn't show up much on white paper anyway - what a waste of a crayon in the box).  So the next obvious choice was "pink."  Uh, no.  That's for the inside of bunny ears, not for skin.  Well, a few weeks ago I saw this guy that could have been colored using the white and pink crayons.  His arms and hands were so white.  No, he wasn't an albino, but my goodness he was white, almost like some versions of Dracula in the movies.  That changed, though, when it came to his face.  It was pink.  I swear, literally pink.  I have never before in my life seen a person you could color - accurately - using the white and pink crayons.

To make a good avatar, though, variation in skin tone is crucial .  We are not one color.  Hands, arms, neck, and across the face, we vary.  And we have various birth marks and moles and veins and wrinkles.

To close. I want to share one semi-political comment.  In the noble quest for gender and racial equality, which I cannot imagine opposing, it somehow became "insensitive" to notice our differences.  That really irritates me.  Tall, short, male, female, black, white, brown, thick, thin, hairy, bald...  just because we see superficial exterior differences does not make us bad people.  We should be able to enjoy those differences, not pretend they don't exist.  How boring it would be if we were all the same, like robots off an assembly like.  No thank you.  I much prefer the variety and diversity, and wish it was easier to talk about such things without being nervous.

Edited
2 Years Ago by justaviking
mark
mark
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)

Last Active: 11 minutes ago
To close. I want to share one semi-political comment.  In the noble quest for gender and racial equality, which I cannot imagine opposing, it somehow became "insensitive" to notice our differences.  That really irritates me.  Tall, short, male, female, black, white, brown, thick, thin, hairy, bald...  just because we see superficial exterior differences does not make us bad people.  We should be able to enjoy those differences, not pretend they don't exist.  How boring it would be if we were all the same, like robots off an assembly like.  No thank you.  I much prefer the variety and diversity, and wish it was easier to talk about such things without being nervous.

Well said!Wink

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

wires
wires
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.6K reputation)

Well done Dennis.

Speaking of skin colour, there's a WIP that I found online last year that deals with just that subject. Angelica Dass has been comparing human skin to the PANTONE© Guide, amazing work that can be viewed here.  

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (1903), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-441.28), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

Reading This Topic