Justaviking's iClone 7 corner

Posted By justaviking 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
justaviking
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 minutes ago
I really enjoy reading comments from people who have "real" experience in film and animation industries.  Guy, KT, and others.
Thank you for so generously sharing your insights with us.

Regarding KT's comment about taking advice...
1) As he said, the criticism (advice) of people he trusted.  Very important, that word "Trust."
2) I should find this actual quote, but I'm 98% sure it came from a Star Trek series ("The Next Generation?)...  It was approximately like this...  "One of the benefits of being Captain is being able to ask for advice, but not necessarily having to take it."  That's my approach with writing and many other tasks, whether I am the one giving or receiving the comments.  It's good to consider the input, but then the author/animator/artist must take his own decision.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 7, i7-3770k CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 16GB RAM, Asus P8Z77-V Pro motherboard, 500 GB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Shadoesword
Shadoesword
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
animagic (1/26/2018)
Meanwhile, don't forget to have some fun with your projects too..

That's what it's all about for me. This is my hobby...this is what I do to "find my flow". Sure, I want to learn and get better, but I believe I learn best when I'm having fun. 

I think it's great that Space Rider made a 1 hour animated movie to learn about animation. I hope you had a blast creating it, Space Rider. And along the way, you learned a lot about animation, I'm sure.

I said somewhere else that there's no "wrong" way to approach an Iclone project, by which I meant that everyone is entitled to pursue their projects according to their own priorities. There's nothing wrong with putting "fun" up at the top of those priorities. If someone just wants to use Iclone to play with its different tools, there's nothing wrong with that. When I first got the program, I had a lot of fun just putting animation clips on my custom avatar and watching it jump around. Discovering the possibilities was so entertaining. I still enjoy exploring different content in Iclone, even though I may never use it. 

I understand the desire to create something of a higher quality. I have that same desire. But I'm not willing to push it to the point where my hobby is no longer fun. 

It is fun for me to talk about the hobby with others. And, for sure, I find it greatly beneficial to get glimpses of how the creative spark fires in others. I find it often sparks my own creativity in ways I hadn't considered. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/848c8492-ac67-42c2-9d27-461e.jpg

mtakerkart
mtakerkart
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Just my 2 cents :

In the artistic and design field I really don't care if  people doesn't like it because it's like food taste , some like strawberrys other not.
But every frame is a painting , each shoot have to be very cool to my eyes or else they must not exist. (but I have my own "cool" definition)
But if the audience  doesn't understand my message or doesn't feel the emotion of the story then I must redo my homeworks.
I confess today I've a dilema with this new Reallusion tools and with the upcoming CC3 , there are tremendous and I don't want to waste and underutilize their potential,
which in my case places the bar very high which will require more time and energy.... I'm waiting for June to start and even they announce a next update with motion blur or
volumetric light the start will stay at the CC3 release. I have no excuse not to do cool pictures Tongue

grabiller
grabiller
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Shadoesword (2/28/2018)
animagic (1/26/2018)
Meanwhile, don't forget to have some fun with your projects too..

That's what it's all about for me. This is my hobby...this is what I do to "find my flow". Sure, I want to learn and get better, but I believe I learn best when I'm having fun. 
../..
I said somewhere else that there's no "wrong" way to approach an Iclone project, by which I meant that everyone is entitled to pursue their projects according to their own priorities. There's nothing wrong with putting "fun" up at the top of those priorities. If someone just wants to use Iclone to play with its different tools, there's nothing wrong with that. When I first got the program, I had a lot of fun just putting animation clips on my custom avatar and watching it jump around. Discovering the possibilities was so entertaining. I still enjoy exploring different content in Iclone, even though I may never use it. 
../..

I agree with you albeit this often has been taken as an excuse to not actually learn seriously (once fun is cool but not enough, when time has come to go beyond that, for some peoples).

At this point it is interesting to make an analogy with learning music, which is one of the most mathematically based Art.

You can have fun in music without knowing anything about music, of course, but you will never know what you are doing. There always are exceptions, of course (Vangelis for instance). Aside playing some known song with your friends for fun, as soon as you will try to create your own songs, the issue will arise. If at some point you feel something is wrong you wont know what to do to correct it. You also may not have the understanding of what it is possible to extend the richness of the song or to make it work better, etc..

I've often heard peoples who did not want to learn music explaining they don't want to be constrained by rules and such. Since then I've never heard something good from those peoples I've known.

--
guy rabiller | citizen guy | 3d technical director | youtube channel
not an animator, "idirector" perhaps - the audience will decide, icloner for sure.

Delerna
Delerna
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.8K reputation)

Basically I agree with that statement to a certain degree. 

But John Lennon was one musician who used to say that sort of thing all the time.
So ??????

Obviously you can only please some people some times so not everyone would agree he did well but I do.
I also know they did work with people who did know music theory. But as far as I know that only occurred after they became famous.

i7-3770 3.4GHz CPU 16 GB Ram   
GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Delerna
Delerna
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.8K reputation)

In my job I am a software development manager and I almost totally self taught myself and have 25 years experience with it (10 years as manager). 
I say almost totally self taught because I check out what other people do with google and I use what I find and think works well.
I got to become a manager because my software development was greatly appreciated by the people in the company I work for.

The  point I am making with this statement is that I have worked with many highly knowledgeable programmers. 
Programmers who know more than I do. And yet when I give them a project to work on and they just do not do well. 
Their project turned out useless. Obviously it wasn't every programmer. But there was many who really knew programming theory, but could not create good projects.

I think knowing/understanding theory for what we work on is useful. But I don't think high level theory is as important as having a high level of passion for it.
High levels of passion, enjoying what your doing. That gets you around the things you don't understand or know.

GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Delerna
Delerna
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Just wanted to add.
Obviously, high passion alone with no knowledge of movie theories isn't likely to produce enjoyable videos.
I'm very new to story writing. My understanding is not high enough to produce my own stories that are very good, and I'm not likely to get there because I'm getting old.
However, my passion and enjoyment for using iClone helps me to make videos from other peoples stories that I totally enjoy watching.

And who knows, maybe one day ????????????? 

GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Edited
Last Year by Delerna
grabiller
grabiller
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Delerna (2/28/2018)
../.. But John Lennon was one musician who used to say that sort of thing all the time../..

The truth is that even if John Lennon did not knew much about music theory (can't read music sheets, etc..) he at least knew what a chord was and when you jam with other musicians some of them can help with harmony. He was certainly gifted but the biggest addition to the songs came from the producer George Martin and also Yoko Ono, both knew a lot about music theory. In short it was not a solo job, but a team work.

So, yes, there are gifted peoples who made awesome work without knowing a lot about the theory of their domain but with some help nonetheless.

Imho it doesn't help to give such examples as an "excuse" to not learn the theory (and practice) and rely only on the "fun" factor ("Look! it is possible!! Yes but none of us is John Lennon!"), because those peoples are exceptions and the majority of other peoples need either good knowledge or good teams if not both.

Even if you don't know much about the theory and practice, it is perfectly ok to do it only for "fun". But don't complain (here I'm speaking generally, not to @Delerna directly) about the final quality of your productions then. And certainly do not expect rewards from the audience. Using 300 PopcornFX in the same shot won't impress anyone.

That said I agree with the "colors and tastes" issues, not everyone like the same things. But interestingly there are some mysterious constants. For example, I don't know about you but I would have hard time to decide which is the best Director between Orson Welles and Alfred Hitchcock, I like both and nowadays they are considered to be among the best directors. However, almost all Orson Welles movies were commercial failures, while almost all Alfred Hitchcock movies were commercial successes. Blessed is the one who would understand why.

--
guy rabiller | citizen guy | 3d technical director | youtube channel
not an animator, "idirector" perhaps - the audience will decide, icloner for sure.

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

Last Active: 21 minutes ago
mtakerkart (2/28/2018)
Just my 2 cents :
I confess today I've a dilema with this new Reallusion tools and with the upcoming CC3 , there are tremendous and I don't want to waste and underutilize their potential,
which in my case places the bar very high which will require more time and energy.... I'm waiting for June to start and even they announce a next update with motion blur or
volumetric light the start will stay at the CC3 release. I have no excuse not to do cool pictures Tongue

Beautifully expressed and sums up my feelings quite a bit -- CC3 for me answers a few questions I was having with going forward so, yes, come later this year (not June, I'm sorry to say my friend.  Try October or November if we are lucky, and early next year if not) we'll have answers that have kept some things from going forward.  After that -- no real excuses.

Alienware Aurora R7, Win 10, i7-8700k, 4.7GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, GTX Titan XP (12GB), Samsung 960 Pro 2TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
justaviking
justaviking
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.9K reputation)

Last Active: 7 minutes ago
A temporary diversion from these recent, useful discussions....

I am evaluating a laptop, and wanted to install some of my favorite software.
- Blender... no problem
- iClone and Substance Designer & Painter...Those are a bit more tricky.

I already have iClone and Substance Designer/Painter installed on two desktop computers, and I did not want to move my license to the laptop merely for an evaluation.

Designer/Painter wanted me to even download a copy of the software, so I stopped there.

iClone let me download a trial version.  Yay!  So I did the big download.  Installed a 30-day trail.  Yay!  Then I launched the it, and was greeted with a requirement to register the trial.  Boo!  I was afraid of that.  I certainly don't want to register a trial with my real iClone account.  I can only imagine that going horribly wrong in some way.  And I didn't really want to create a dummy email account just so I can create a dummy, temporary user profile that will clutter up Reallusion's database.  It's already limited to 30 days.  I had hoped I would be able to run it and the registration would be optional.  Bummer.

Sigh.  What to do now?  The laptop specs are great.  My only significant complaint is the screen, which is rather abysmal for a "gaming" laptop.  I had hoped doing some iClone on it would help me decide if I wanted to keep it.  But I don't want to have to uninstall it from Computer #2 just so I can install it on the laptop for evaluation purposes.  If I decide to return the laptop, then I will have to uninstall it to free up that license which would then return to Computer #2.

At least I can do some forum-posting tests to help evaluate the keyboard.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 7, i7-3770k CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 16GB RAM, Asus P8Z77-V Pro motherboard, 500 GB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Reading This Topic