Justaviking's iClone 7 corner

Posted By justaviking 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Dr. Nemesis
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
I'm currently making a 70 minute film in Iclone and it would be cool to know of any other people doing something similar. 
I check youtube everyday for new Iclone videos and I'm kinda saddened that even with the release of Iclone 7 I don't often find great examples of Iclone's capability.
To this day one of my all time favourite Iclone  videos is this one which I believe was made in Iclone 5!
Is there anyone here actively working on larger projects? Would be nice to compare notes from time to time.
MnerosNaRa
MnerosNaRa
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Dr. Nemesis (1/24/2018)
I'm currently making a 70 minute film in Iclone and it would be cool to know of any other people doing something similar. 
I check youtube everyday for new Iclone videos and I'm kinda saddened that even with the release of Iclone 7 I don't often find great examples of Iclone's capability.
To this day one of my all time favourite Iclone  videos is this one which I believe was made in Iclone 5!
Is there anyone here actively working on larger projects? Would be nice to compare notes from time to time.

Yes I am working on a project that has been taking 8 years now. I keep going back to the drawing board, and redoing stuff because Iclone keeps getting better
I have however decided not to hold back anymore as Iclone 7 is perfect atm for this project. like to a the trailer of my Project is below. Im not sure how long the film will
be but the Script is 53 pages long. Ill also add a 2nd link to a rendered scene. for some context of the scene... a guy (Jhev) is hearing voiced in his head which is starting to drive him crazy
the voice confronts Jhev taring in to his mind and pulling out secrets that jhev would rather take to his grave.
enjoy Smile

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Dr. Nemesis (1/24/2018)

Agreed.  That is a great video.  It's as impressive now as the first time I saw it.

MnerosNaRa (1/26/2018)
Yes I am working on a project that has been taking 8 years now. I keep going back to the drawing board, and redoing stuff because Iclone keeps getting better
I have however decided not to hold back anymore as Iclone 7 is perfect atm for this project. like to a the trailer of my Project is below. Im not sure how long the film will
be but the Script is 53 pages long.

It looks epic!

As proven by the video Dr. Nemesis linked to, a good story that is done well will stand the test of time, and will not suffer greatly for lack of the latest wiz-bang technology.  Hopefully you are done redoing stuff because iClone has improved, and you will be able to complete the project now.  Good luck!

The rule of thumb is one page of script (using the traditional "spec script formatting) is 1 page of script equals 1 minute of movie.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

MnerosNaRa
MnerosNaRa
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week

The rule of thumb is one page of script (using the traditional "spec script formatting) is 1 page of script equals 1 minute of movie.

yes and I have yet to make that a reality. I like to keep episodes to 10 min long and I have been using using Celtix for scripting. but my last 10 page script is now going in
to 24 min. lol So still not sure how the large project is going to turn out
Edited
6 Years Ago by MnerosNaRa
Spiny Norman
Spiny Norman
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
I jumped on the IClone bandwagon with Iclone 5' and a feature project, I had had hanging around since my film making days. I was 7 minutes into it, when budgeting revealed that my costs for professional voice actors would amount to, at the least $7000….

(amateur voices…amateur acting! The End.)

(Sad smiley face.)

(I am saving up…)

My only interest is in long form/or 'extraordinary' short form projects. So at present, I am working on a script based on a 12 page short story. As the story was a first person recollection, I am having to change everything to a third person perspective. I am not so much re-writing, as writing the stuff that my character thought was unimportant to his perception of what he thought was happening to him. There are only 2 characters so voices are no longer a problem…I am 3 pages into the story, 4 pages into the script and 8 minutes into the project ( …the story has a slow build like 'Chinatown' or Taxidriver'…where, by the time you understand what is going on, it's already  too late.). I am hoping to bring this in at around 60'ish minutes….but if it flies like I think it might…it may run longer?..

Here is a completed segment of my first ever IClone' project, (started in 5, tweaked in 6, abandoned…because of production issues….See above.) …the sound is shit…and there is much that needs tweaking…but I can't wait till I have the $$$ to get my voices….(justaviking, get all those others from our previous posts to have a look…This is what I am trying for…and better,,,) I have had a problem with IClone ever since I added Faceware, and have been unable to do anything… I have been waiting 2 weeks and still no solution! Am I pissed?...where else can you go……………………………………angry. A bit.

But can you go the whole hog?  Of course... As Windows loves to say…Where do you want to go to today?.. I can't speak for anyone else, but I create worlds…I just wish my operating system and my software would let me get on with that?…

iClone 7.93/8.01, 6.0 Pro, 5.5 Pro, 3DXchange Pro, Character Creator 3/4, CrazyTalk Animator 2.5 Pro

Homebuilt computer - Windows10, 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K   3.00 GHz Nvidia RTX 3090 Graphics, 64GB DDR5 RAM,  MS-7306 motherboard, 12 terabytes of disk space, 28” monitor and Optoma UJHD65-LV projector. 
Update

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Can I give you some practical advice from someone who has worked with actors for many, many decades now?  Actors LOVE to act, and there are many, MANY talented folks out there who, while not making a living at acting, love to practise their craft and are quite good at it even if they've never made a dollar.

That's why every single city, town, burg or whistlestop here in the U.S. has community theater.  Where I live (where "active" adults live in restricted communities) there are also acting "groups" in every little development (so hundreds within 60 miles).  I don't know if you live in this country or not, but I have to believe that this desire to act extends across cultures and countries.

For us here all you have to do is go to one of the tryouts they have four or five times a year, where these "non-professionals" act for the pure joy of it.  Only a few will get picked, and even of those who do many will want to act for you.  Bring along your portable recorder (nowadays the small digital ones that fit in a pocket are superb at capturing voices) or, if you have Faceware, your cellphone (which is plenty for the video needed) and have them record your script for you.  Better, get their names and numbers and arrange times for you to come out to meet them (they are doing you a favor) to record your stuff.

There are no end of very good voice actors out there -- our own little group (recorded in my community of less than around 800 people, so out of that I found 10-15 very good voice actors) was so good Fox offered us a contract (actually two, but that's a long story).  If those voices are good enough for American television, then you can find similar or better ones yourself.  Do NOT let the lack of voice actors stop you, as it's one of the easiest things to solve.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Edited
6 Years Ago by Kelleytoons
wires
wires
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

There are a lot of talented voice actors available on TMUnderground.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

+1 to what KelleyToons said.

The various computer-generated voices may have their place, but don't replace people.*  Even a person of moderate talent can be more than adequate for most projects, especially if there is something distinctive about his or her voice.

Be sure you use some decent recording equipment in a nice, quiet location with limited echo.  There are some microphones** in the $80-150 range that will do a nice job (far superior to the junk that's built into a laptop).  Lately I've used a walk-in closet as a recording studio because all the clothes help absorb any echo.  Even then, I still run it through Audacity (free audio software) to remove any remaining background hiss.  I've been quite pleased with the results.

*Computer-generated voices
One personal exception for me has been "Pinhead," but that's only because he started that way, and to me his "flat delivery" was, at times, part of his charm.  Even when other characters used live voices, I sort of liked Pinhead using Text-to-speech (TTS).  Having said that, I understand people who don't have a 7-year history with Pinhead wouldn't understand that, and it is nice to have him be able to emote better.  I've even used my own voice a couple of times (modified a bit using Audacity), so I probably won't go back to TTS.

** Microphones
I have a Samson Meteor mic (~$70 at Best Buy or Amazon).
Pro - Very beautiful (looks like a piece of art), very sensitive.  Note that there is a threaded base, so you can mount it on a boom or mic stand if you don't want to use the folded legs (which have nice rubber non-slip pads that work well).
Con - My main complaint is it is almost too sensitive, and too omnidirectional, so it easily picks up echo and background sounds.  It also lacks a gain control (recording  level) knob, so you can only adjust that in your recording software (again, I use Audacity).  The "volume knob" is for headphones if you want to monitor the recording session.
The Blue Yeti mic is one I'd probably buy if I didn't already have my Samson mic ($110 at Best Buy or Amazon).
Pro - Three "sensitivity patterns" to select from to help pick up or minimize sound from different directions, a gain control button, and lots of good reviews.  This one can also be mounted on a boom or mic stand.
Con - Costs more than the Samson

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
6 Years Ago by justaviking
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

I have the Yeti -- it's kind of the universal computer mic nowadays, and works very well (I constructed, for around $30, a sound box for it so I can record decent audio with it in my computer room, which otherwise has terrible acoustics).

But I also like very much the sound you can get from the portable digital recorders -- I have both a Zoom and a Tascam that produce superb sound, and can be taken anywhere.  The Zoom is what we recorded ALL our audio for for the Fox show, and it was more than adequate.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Kelleytoons (1/26/2018)
I have the Yeti -- it's kind of the universal computer mic nowadays, and works very well (I constructed, for around $30, a sound box for it so I can record decent audio with it in my computer room, which otherwise has terrible acoustics).

But I also like very much the sound you can get from the portable digital recorders -- I have both a Zoom and a Tascam that produce superb sound, and can be taken anywhere.  The Zoom is what we recorded ALL our audio for for the Fox show, and it was more than adequate.

I made a "microphone box" for when I was video recording some high school theater productions.  I lined a cardboard box, inside and out, with some deep-pile carpet scraps.  Then I put a wireless microphone in the box on a stool in front of the stage and faced the open side toward the stage.  My theory was it would help block sounds from the audience and from the overhead air heating/cooling vents while I my camcorder was toward the back of the auditorium where I wouldn't be in the way of the audience.  It sure wasn't perfect, but it was a respectable improvement over using the camcorder's built-in mic when I was that far away.  Overall, it was a success for that task.

I am not familiar with them at all with Zoom and Tascam, but I'm glad to hear they worked for you.  Thanks for sharing that.

It's interesting to buy stuff like microphones and other accessories.  When you are starting out, and doing little things mostly for your own entertainment, it can be hard to "invest" in good hardware, and you don't always know where to spend money and where to minimize costs.  When you can buy a little stick "desktop" microphone for $12, at $70 microphone seems really expensive, and the $120 one merely a dream.  But as you progress in your craft, you become more and more aware of things like audio.  I am still amazed at what I can hear when I wear headphones versus my speakers.  None of my equipment is high-end audio, but listening to voice recording with the headphones on can really help you notice background hum, the sound of air vents, footsteps, rustling paper if reading from a script, and so on.  So in hindsight, even though I'm fairly happy with my Samson Meteor, I now wish I had spent extra money on the Blue Yeti.  But now it would bring my total microphone cost to around $180 since I already bought the Samson, so I'm sure I'll continue to use what I have.

In general, what affects the quality of the final product?  A faster GPU makes editing faster and more enjoyable, but a $300 GPU and a $700 GPU can usually produce the same result.  When you look back at your video 3 or 5 years from now, what will you see and hear?  Consider that, and spend accordingly.

Well, that typing took an unexpected twist.  I think I typed myself into some good advice.  I'll have to remember to heed it myself.

Edited
6 Years Ago by justaviking

Reading This Topic