Alembic MDD Import

Posted By will2power71 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
will2power71
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
We have the export feature, but I wish to add the ability to IMPORT Alembic files. I'm a DAZ user and what I like to do right now involves blocking out motions and refining them in iClone and then taking them back into DAZ studio to render them. This allows me to take advantage of the greater detail and all the Joint Control Morphs of the DAZ figures that make them amazing to work with. The problem is --I don't really want to render them in DAZ but I want the detail and there's no other way to get all that detail into iClone other than an alembic or MDD import. with the PBR render, I would rather render in iClone. Please give us the ability to import Alembic and/or MDD animations in iClone. It would be a great way to take full advantage of the great features of BOTH platforms. This would open up new possibilities with other systems like Realflow. Or you could do physics stuff like buildings collapsing in another application and then bring it into iClone.

I have included this feature request in the feedback tracker. You can view it here.
animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
+1

I also would like to see Alembic import. For me it would be to be able to use simulations such as those from Houdini, which are great for real waves and many others.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

paulg625
paulg625
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I would also like to see this feature. I have Cronosculpt which allows real-time corrections of animation sequences. It's great for correcting animation issues such as poke through during a soft-cloth animation, making a quicker workflow then repeatedly trying to adjust settings in an animation over and over because an outfit keeps going where you don't want it to during an extreme movement. I was able to export Alembic from IClone correct it in Cronosculpt but without being able to import Sad I couldn't go any further. So please consider adding Import of Alembic.
Ascensi
Ascensi
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Hoping for this in iClone 8! Many have been asking for better performance to allow bigger projects and this would require some sort of smart caching and various methods of Culling and potentially texture packing that could be turned on or off to make changes.

I think Alembic support would be great although the new Zbrush 2021 came out with MDD support! and although I'd love to have alembic, MDD might come first because not everyone has access to the big programs that can generate advanced water sim.
If Reallusion could support both then they will be opening the flood gates for a bigger market - once the performance optimizations have been implemented. 

Final word - if they add Goz to iClone they can almost instantly create collisions and bake the dynamics then reimport with MDD.

Store Page Link 
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/906a14b0-c792-4382-99ee-7dfe.jpg
AMD 4.5 GHz 16 Cores  | 128 GB | RTX 4090 | Window11 | Houdini FX 18.5 | Zbrush 2023 | Maya 2014 | Adobe CS6 | Sonar Producer X3 | iC8, CC4 | DTS Master Audio Suite | Perception Neuron 32 Alum Edition | Akeytsu 

DISfxs
DISfxs
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (78 reputation)New Member (78 reputation)New Member (78 reputation)New Member (78 reputation)New Member (78 reputation)New Member (78 reputation)New Member (78 reputation)New Member (78 reputation)New Member (78 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I agree. It would be great to have Alembic Import for soft cloth simulations from Marvelous designer as well. Thanks for this post.
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

boygenious (10/9/2020)
I agree. It would be great to have Alembic Import for soft cloth simulations from Marvelous designer as well. Thanks for this post.

But this is already possible. Just an extra step for importing garments separately from alembic: https://forum.reallusion.com/FindPost451054.aspx
It is just someone who is proficient with MD should make a tutorial. I am not an MD pro, but I was able to pull this through easily:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/8cf1fe5b-b8bf-469b-90e6-91a0.jpg

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9c9d1e64-a020-4357-bc80-45a8.jpg

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/329e0375-38d4-4265-b13c-c295.jpg

Edited
4 Years Ago by 4u2ges
DISfxs
DISfxs
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (78 reputation)New Member (78 reputation)New Member (78 reputation)New Member (78 reputation)New Member (78 reputation)New Member (78 reputation)New Member (78 reputation)New Member (78 reputation)New Member (78 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Thank you for this reply. I will give it a tray and be sure to do a tutorial as well.
magikshow
magikshow
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (130 reputation)Junior Member (130 reputation)Junior Member (130 reputation)Junior Member (130 reputation)Junior Member (130 reputation)Junior Member (130 reputation)Junior Member (130 reputation)Junior Member (130 reputation)Junior Member (130 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
HOW DID YOU DO THAT? teach me!!!!!!!
Edited
4 Years Ago by magikshow
animagic
animagic
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

I believe Alembic import for clothing is part of the planned iClone improvements.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

boygenious promised to make a tutorial... Whistling

As I said, I am not an MD pro and not in a position to teach or make a tutorial.
I went through the routine once from start to finish to prove the concept.
I also know a few people who successfully completed their import projects.

If you're proficient with MD, it is fairly easy to bring MD cloth simulation into iClone.

Just steps:

1. Complete character animation in iClone. Because cloth physics would be involved (regardless iClone or MD), animation must start with T-pose, or A-Pose.
And there must a smooth transition for couple of seconds between initial pose and actual animation. Again, animation must be finalized.
2. Export animated character from iClone to FBX and import into MD (after character export from iClone, that character animation in iClone cannot be further tweaked).
3. Apply/fit garment, tweak physics, run and record simulation.
4. Export garment as OBJ from initial pose in MD
5. Import into iClone and attach to character as an accessory (to RL_BoneRoot)
6. Export simulation as Alembic from MD and import to iClone with Python script. Basic principals for importing is described/shown here: https://forum.reallusion.com/FindPost451054.aspx

Note: Import/Export settings in/out of MD, as well as Physics setup and simulation inside MD I have figured out by experimenting.

When Alembic simulation import would be standard in iClone, it would somehow consolidate steps 5 and 6 into a single step, which is very basic routine once you figure it.
The rest would be the same.
To me though, the most challenging were steps 3 and 4.

Edited
4 Years Ago by 4u2ges

Reading This Topic