HELP NEEDED: 2 Sides Textures On A Meshes

Posted By Lord Ashes 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Lord Ashes
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
As an example, let us say I am trying to make some curtains which are one texture on one side and another texture on the other side.

While there are some software programs that allow a mesh edge to have a different texture on each side, most software does not seem to support this. For example, iClone allows you to check the 2 sides mesh option but in that case iClone renders both sides of the mesh visible but both sides use the same texture mapping. In most cases 2 sides textures are not necessary because objects a 3 dimensional and thus, typically, only one side of the mesh is visible.

As such my first concept was to create my curtains as a box with a very small thickness thus allowing one side of the box to have one texture and the other side to have a different texture. In this case the box actually uses the same texture but since each side of the box is a different set of edges each side of the box can be mapped to a different part of the texture map (which, for the most part, achieves the same goal). However, when I allowed the curtains to fall (i.e. drape), I found that the draping process was stretching the thickness of the box (curtains). So, for example, after the drape the bottom of the curtain was somewhat flat with the top layer and bottom layer stretched apart (forming a triangle when looked at from the side).

In addition, this solution causes iClone's soft cloth to recognize the two sides as different materials and allows setting of the weight maps individually. It seems that this can lead to some conflict between the to sides when using softcloth unless the self collision is turned on.

Is there some better way to implement a 2 texture cloth (i.e. a cloth with two different textures on each side) which won't rip apart in softcloth simulation? Or do I just need to play with the dimensions and softcloth weight maps until the fabric stops pulling apart?

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
wires
wires
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
One method is to produce the item in SketchUp.

Make a simple plane in SU. Apply a SU texture to one side and a different texture to the other side. Make sure to use any of the SU textures that are jpg files and not something like "Named Colors".
Import the saved skp file into 3DXchange and save it as an iProp - do NOT delete the SU Backface.
Open the prop in iClone and in the Materials section you will see both textures listed, you can now replace these with more suitable materials fron the iClone collection.

I can provide you with an example if you wish.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

Edited
7 Years Ago by wires
Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
wires (6/15/2017)
One method is to produce the item in SketchUp.
I can provide you with an example if you wish.

Thank for the tip. I have never used Sketch Up but I'll have a look into it. I'll let you know if I need further assistance. Thanks.

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
You can do a cool Blender trick also. Just duplicate your mesh and leave it in the exact same position. then reverse the normals of the duplicate. Maybe sort of hacky, but it should work. You could even add a very small offset between the two. Sometimes Sketchup double-sided will cause nasty flickering interference between the front and back faces..

Reading This Topic