A more dimensional ocean design

Posted By Dragonskunk 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Dragonskunk
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
1 thing wish I could make in iClone are ocean waves but with the curls and crashes with that foam white.
Please share your technique if anyone ever tried to make this in iClone:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f0d5a6aa-f907-4e06-b7ab-3cc3.jpg
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 5 minutes ago
Realistic water is the acid test for any 3D program -- AFAIK no program, not even the higher end ones, can really do this right (although some come closer than others).

In Max we'd use plugins but we'd also take Real World images of the foam and super them on the tops, which helps a lot.  I suspect the same techniques could be employed in iClone, using PopVideo (or other such) billboards positioned on the top and moved along accordingly.  Doing 3D water well will take a LOT of resources for any machine.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 21 minutes ago
As Kelley suggests, I have used a video similar (or the same...) as you posted as background.

I placed them on several slightly curved planes (with the image of every second one reversed so the edges fit seamless). I then added the regular iClone water. It worked pretty good.

One suggestion has been to have Alembic import. This would allow you the use wave simulations from Houdini, for example, which are among the best.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
7 Years Ago by animagic
Dragonskunk
Dragonskunk
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)

animagic (5/24/2017)
As Kelley suggests, I have used a video similar (or the same...) as you posted as background.

I placed them on several slightly curved planes (with the image of every second one reversed so the edges fit seamless). I then added the regular iClone water. It worked pretty good.

One suggestion has been to have Alembic import. This would allow you the use wave simulations from Houdini, for example, which are among the best.

It comes down to making look good within a certain camera angle range, that's good enough for me.

funches
funches
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (980 reputation)Veteran Member (980 reputation)Veteran Member (980 reputation)Veteran Member (980 reputation)Veteran Member (980 reputation)Veteran Member (980 reputation)Veteran Member (980 reputation)Veteran Member (980 reputation)Veteran Member (980 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Dragonskunk (5/24/2017)
1 thing wish I could make in iClone are ocean waves but with the curls and crashes with that foam white.
Please share your technique if anyone ever tried to make this in iClone:

perhaps that problem can be solved using the morph feature in iclone 7 ..
Dragonskunk
Dragonskunk
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

If you add a video to the diffuse of water waves with white parts like the image below on a dense grid plane with a low contrast version to play as a displacement map video simultaneously, that makes for some interesting effects. All the white parts crest and gives a really amazing 3D looking water.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/7cd22a9f-248a-4145-bddb-2f88.jpg

richard666
richard666
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
i have found this subject to be the one area lacking in making a realistic movie with iclone…….ocean water is desperately needed within iclone and some kind of intergration with houdini or similar bifost product may be the only answer.  ive tried everything and nothing is realistic enough.

maybe if we had the ability to use modifiers like in other 3d apps we would have a solution too.

if i come up with anything i will post.  RAMPAs freebiw could be a good water tile start, check it out to work on.

Reading This Topic