Posted By Kelleytoons 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Size of display ridiculous on laptop and manifest doesn't help

Author
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
This forum is practically dead but just in case anyone is still paying attention (and has good technical skills) -- anyone know why the manifest trick doesn't work with popVideo when it works with iClone, Character Studio and even 3DXChange (which is using a very old interface).

I really can't use this on my laptop because of this -- not a showstopper since I can continue to use my desktop and make all the video there to use elsewhere, but it's just very, very odd that I can't solve this the way I can every other program (even ones not made by RL).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
JimmyB7
JimmyB7
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Works OK for popVideo for me.  

Create a text file with the XML code below.  Name it "popVideo.exe.manifest" without quotes.  Put it in the folder that has "popVideo.exe".  Renaming accordingly it works with Character Creator 1.52 or 2.0,  iClone 6.53 or 7, or  3DXchange 6.52, 7, but NOT CrazyTalk 8.1 and NOT CrazyTalk Animator 3.1 for some reason.

Added Kelleytoons' Registry edit:

You need to tell Windows to prioritize external manifest files. This is done by adding a key to the Windows Registry:
1. Tap on the Windows-key, type regedit.exe and hit enter.
2. Confirm the UAC prompt.
3. Use the sidebar hierarchy to go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide
4. Right-click on SideBySide and select New > Dword (32-bit) Value.
5. Name it PreferExternalManifest.
6. Double-click the newly created Dword and set its value to 1.
7. Exit the Registry Editor and reboot your system.

Manifest file XML Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns:asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">

<dependency>
  <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity
      type="win32"
      name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
      version="6.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="*"
      publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
      language="*">
    </assemblyIdentity>
  </dependentAssembly>
</dependency>

<dependency>
  <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity
      type="win32"
      name="Microsoft.VC90.CRT"
      version="9.0.21022.8"
      processorArchitecture="amd64"
      publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b">
    </assemblyIdentity>
  </dependentAssembly>
</dependency>

<trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
  <security>
    <requestedPrivileges>
      <requestedExecutionLevel
        level="asInvoker"
        uiAccess="false"/>
    </requestedPrivileges>
  </security>
</trustInfo>

<asmv3:application>
    <ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware xmlns:ms_windowsSettings="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">false</ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware>
  </asmv3:windowsSettings>
</asmv3:application>

</assembly>

CyberpowerPC, 64 GB Ram, 64bit Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i9-10980XE 18 Core CPU,  ASUS TUF X299 Mark 1 Motherboard, ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING graphics card, Toshiba 3TB hard drive, 3 x Seagate 3TB hard drives, RAGNAROK 801 Full Tower, LEPA G1600 1600W power supply, Killer WI-FI 6,  ASUS PA329Q 32" 4K/UHD IPS Monitor.
Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Hi Kelleytoons,

This is the first I've heard of the "Manifest Trick", if you don't mind me asking what is it for and what does it do exactly?  I've been out of the loop when it comes to programing languages for many years, but I'm not afraid of "regedit" if it will make things run smoother.

Dell XPS 8900, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 16 GB RAM, - 4 GB GeForce GTX 745, NVIDIA compatible.
Acer Aspire V Nitro Laptop,  2.5GHz Intel Core i5-7300HQ processor with 6MB cache,  256GB solid state drive, 16GB Ram,  4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics.

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
As someone who used to keep up with all this stuff (but in retirement has kind of fallen by the wayside) I didn't know about this workaround either until someone (and I think it was JummyB) mentioned it.

In essence since a whole lot of laptops nowadays have much higher resolutions and/or aren't the largest in size for those of us with older eyes, a lot of programs have fallen behind the times in updating their UI to use the "embiggen" way of enlarging stuff in Windows (which is to just set the display to greater than 100%).  These programs sometimes have used older APIs which might or might now allow you to embiggen things yourself (iClone has the three font settings. which are woefully inadequate) but they also somehow shut out the ability for Windows to handle things.

Hence the "manifest trick" or workaround, which just tells Windows that this program does not understand what it's doing and therefore don't pay any attention to how it wants to handle these things.  You put this manifest file where the .exe is, and you also edit Windows registry to tell it to use external manifest files (note that you can only do this in 8.1 or higher Windows -- lower versions will probably do nasty things to your system and it is not recommended).  Then the manifest works.

Supposedly, but JimmyB, I cannot get it to work with Popvideo.exe even on my desktop -- but I suspect the only way YOU got it to work is you don't have Windows enlarged to 175% (which this old man has to do even on his dual 34" monitors).  I suspect it will work with a lower Windows magnification, but when I try it on both my laptop and desktop it says that Popvideo can't run in less than 1024x768 (even though both are set for 1980x1024).  So something is still wonky in Popvideo.

It's not *terrible* because unlike with iClone and Character Creator (both of which work fine with 175% magnification) I won't be using PopVideo much after I convert most of the rest of my stock footage (I have a ton of stuff I've bought, like fire, explosions and smoke, that I want to use in iClone -- all of it is already alpha loaded, and converts easy to Popvideo, but I can't use the native formats in iClone because iClone doesn't like older .mov formats).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Reading This Topic