Profile Picture

Import FBX from maya failed with Mesh bound to the wrong bone warning/error into CC2,0

Posted By lcc5 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Import FBX from maya failed with Mesh bound to the wrong bone...

Author
lcc5
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Hi, I might have done something wrong but I can't manage to import a weighted cloth into CC2 from Maya. 
I either got a Fatal or warning errors saying "Mesh is bound to the wrong bone".

I followed the latest 'official tuto' on youtube but needed to make a change to take care of  a new root_bone that didn't came up in those video. 
Here is the steps I followed from that video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjZmV_PgLaE&t

Test 1: I imported my mesh and the avatar, bind them and copy the weightmap, then exported to CC2.0 without modifying anything, just to check if all worked. Result OK, no error, avatar and the unprocessed cloth were accepted by CC.
Test 2: Same as 1 but I fixed one weightmap issue only and got the error:  Mesh bound to the wrong bone.
Sometime it appears as warning and sometime as Error but reject the import at the end.

I might have missed something obvious but so far I'm a bit clueless !

Thanks all for your inputs!

Lc 

Edit: 
I somewhat managed to import and work it, but iclone reject the result with an enigmatic failed to load the file.

Edited
7 Years Ago by lcc5
Miranda (RL)
Miranda (RL)
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (62.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.9K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hi lcc5,

It seems to us that the bone was renamed and not recognized by CC.
We would like to enhance this part to make it more user-friendly, before that, we can fix it for you. Provide me the FBX and FBXkey via PM, thanks!

lcc5
lcc5
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)

Will do but I noticed the issue seems happening more or less randomly but I somewhat suspect there is a link with auto-weightmap function in Blender. 

lcc5
lcc5
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hi there, 
I think I might have found the root of that issue but since the update of both MD and CC, I can't reproduce it on my side. Despite that, here is the general ideas: 
One of the workflow from RL to work with CC is exporting an avatar, working on it inside MD and others tools as needed, then importing the said FBX and the piece of clothing into Maya/Blender to weight it, then exporting / importing back to CC.

In MD6.0, the exported (again) avatar in FBX seems legit at least in size and seems containing all the information needed for CC to be re-imported later. 
In MD6.5, the same exported avatar in FBX appears to be 'cleaned' as its armature is missing, its size is different by a huge ratio, therefore all the remaining workflow  failed.

That said, I somewhat suspect the previous MD6 release may corrupted the FBX for whatever reason that make CC complaining about the bad bone even if that said bone appears to be 'functional' in blender.

What I'm doing now is using 2 FBX, one for rigging/weighing and another one for MD with a set of pose to see how the cloth is 'flowing', then at the end of the modeling in MD, I reset the AVT and the cloth in T-Shape with a pose I previously made before exporting them to Blender. That workflow seems working flawlessly so far.

Have a good day,
Laurent

wallaceadrianonunes
wallaceadrianonunes
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (246 reputation)Junior Member (246 reputation)Junior Member (246 reputation)Junior Member (246 reputation)Junior Member (246 reputation)Junior Member (246 reputation)Junior Member (246 reputation)Junior Member (246 reputation)Junior Member (246 reputation)

I am trying to export my character to unreal using 3DXChange, but each time I export the FBX file do not export the geometry ... how can i solve this issue?

PS: I selected the export geometry box and unreal game engine settings
jjackson1008
jjackson1008
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I had a ton of these errors (or something similar). I found the exports from Maya 2016 to CC worked fine on one computer but not the other. My issue was Maya was fouled up. I resolved the Maya export problem by resetting my Maya preferences. Then I exported using Maya's FBX preset "Autodesk Media & Entertainment". I did not set it at any particular year (2012, 2013 etc). To reset Maya prefs to default . . .

1. Rename the prefs folder found in the following location to something like prefsOld:
2. Windows 64-bit: C:\Users\USERNAME\My Documents\maya\VERSION\
3. Windows 32-bit: C:\Users\USERNAME\My Documents\maya\VERSION\
4. Restart Maya.
5. If prompted to, choose the option to Create Default Preferences.
Edited
7 Years Ago by jjackson1008

Reading This Topic