What is the best workflow for walking motions

Posted By Jfrog 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Jfrog
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
Hi,
I have been experimenting quite a lot with motions. I read many tutorials but I still have major problem with walking motions.  applying  and looping the motions is quite forward and easy to do but the problem I have is most of my surfaces are not level and my feet often enter the ground or my character is floating around.

I tried to to select" follow terrain" or "snap to terrain" , but nothing seems to work.

For example when using the town base floor from the cartoon city, my characters (g5 or CC) alway slowly go up or down while walking. So my question is;  am I supposed to compensate with this manually?  It is really strange because Iclone is very efficient to do the motions and it is really easy to edit the animation in the timeline but if Iclone doesn't compensate for the difference in level this is a bit unusable. Perhaps I am missing something.   Smile
Any ideas or proposition of workflow would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and regards.

Ryzen R9 5950x, RTX 3090, 128Gb Ram ,2 x 2 TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD

Horror Stories in VR
Immersive Sound VR
Immersive Sound VR on Oculus TV

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 38 minutes ago
If you are applying motions where the character actually moves from one point to another, then yes, you will need to adjust the Z position as they need to move up and down. Also make sure you have "foot contact" enabled in the modify panel.

If you are attaching the character to a path, or using the r-click/move command (needs a persona loaded), then they follow the path or the terrain automatically.

Here is a tutorial I googled for attaching a motion puppet walk to a path.

If you load a persona, then you can just r-click on the character and select the move command, and then click on a path. The character will walk to and along the path. It's much easier than attaching them to a path.

You can also select the move command and simply click anywhere in the scene to have the character walk there.
Jfrog
Jfrog
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)

[quoteIf you are attaching the character to a path, or using the r-click/move command (needs a persona loaded), then they follow the path or the terrain automatically.][/quote]

Using the path works great!   
Thank you so much Rampa for the quick reply.  You are always there to help and this is greatly 
appreciated.   Smile
I tried to look into persona but there isn't that many walking motion anywhere. Is there a way to convert all motion in persona? 
Thanks again!

Horror Stories in VR
Immersive Sound VR

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

I made this custom Persona a while back. It includes several walks and a few performs.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3nsNVGroEz6cFp2ODQxX1hnUkE

To use it, unzip, and place the folder called "Locomotion" into your template/motion folder. Put the AML in your template/Persona folder.

Load the AML (Persona) from the content manager/template/persona. It works for point to point, or having the character walk to and along the path. In the perform menu, you will find some turn motions that actually re-align the root for walking in a different direction. 
Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

@Rampa

Thanks for the tip about...
If you load a persona, then you can just r-click on the character and select the move command, and then click on a path. The character will walk to and along the path. It's much easier than attaching them to a path.

I did not know this was possible! Great tip!

Dell XPS 8900, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 16 GB RAM, - 4 GB GeForce GTX 745, NVIDIA compatible.
Acer Aspire V Nitro Laptop,  2.5GHz Intel Core i5-7300HQ processor with 6MB cache,  256GB solid state drive, 16GB Ram,  4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics.

Jfrog
Jfrog
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thank you again Rampa.  

Both workflows follow the terrain now. The only thing that annoys me a bit now is the slipping feet but it work much better now.  Do you know if I am allowed to use those locomotion files you provided?  If not I will create some persona with the motions I bought. I might also buy the eZ motions from big boss.

Thanks again again for your input.

Horror Stories in VR
Immersive Sound VR

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Those are just re-looped versions of the existing RL walks from the Motion Puppet. So yeah. Go ahead and use them.
Jfrog
Jfrog
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Cool. Thank you!

Horror Stories in VR
Immersive Sound VR

Reading This Topic